Colson Tandem Bicycle

Old July 23rd 05, 03:38 AM
peter

Default Colson Tandem Bicycle

Anyone have any thoughts on how to lock the fromt bars without
welding? I want to keep it all stock as far as I can; however,
I just don't think that both people steering will work!!!

The old Wheelsmith shop had a tandem with this arrangement in their
window for some time. I'd guess that the dual steering arrangement
wasn't too popular in general since it's not found on any current
designs, but why not try it for a few rides and see how it goes?

Rather than locking the rear bars you could just remove the chain and
have them free to move. Any stoker who can ride a single bike
shouldn't have any trouble getting used to holding handlebars that can
turn even if they no longer control the steering.

Old July 23rd 05, 04:21 PM

now, take it apart for fresh grease and bearings before riding
now, apply( stop tubes and pour in then drain-save the linseed )
linseed to inside tubes after allowing to sit in hot sun with tubes
open
then worry about removing the rust professionally.

Old July 23rd 05, 05:30 PM
peter

My stoker is handicapped and most
definitely *would* have an issue with bars that moved. She cannot
ride by herself; this is why we tandem.

I'd still suggest trying the bike in its normal configuration. My
experience with stokers who could not ride bikes has generally been
that they are good at not influencing the bike's balance (as opposed to
many cyclists who lean in anticipation of turns when first riding as a
stoker). As long as your friend doesn't actively oppose your steering
efforts you should be able to easily control the bike. Could she hold
the front handlebars in a position closer to the stem than usual? That
would reduce the effects of any force she applies to the bars and
minimize the motion she would feel when you steer around a turn.

Old July 23rd 05, 11:54 PM
Jasper Janssen

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 17:38:34 GMT, !Jones wrote:

You are most definitely correct in that a non-riding stoker (who
trusts the captain) is the best kind! Keeping the original
configuration is definitely a priority. I'm going to start
disassembly next week, so I'll know more after that.

Maybe remove the original stem and simply clamp it onto one of the frame
bits? You could try that as a temporary arrangement fairly easily, at
least, using a few blocks of wood such.

Jasper

Top Gear Driving Song David Martin UK 38 June 1st 05 05:05 PM
Children should wear bicycle helmets. John Doe UK 516 December 16th 04 12:04 AM
Bicycle helmets help prevent serious head injury among children, part one. John Doe UK 3 November 30th 04 03:46 PM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM