58% of California is in Heavy Drought.

Old January 11th 17, 01:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default 58% of California is in Heavy Drought.

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 11:57:11 -0800 (PST), DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH
wrote:

On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 1:07:38 PM UTC-5, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 04:59:37 -0800 (PST), DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH
wrote:

So, Mr. Liebermann you're illness is not recent ?

Well, that's a problem. We've tried to get lycanthropy listed as a
genuine malady worthy of a medical billing code so that it is covered
by various government and private insurance plans. So far, this has
been unsuccessful, but we'll keep trying. The main problem seems to
be getting medical staff to work on the night of the full moon.
Meanwhile, it's not an official illness. Also, from the point of view
of a werewolf, normal humans are the one's with the illness and are
considered little better than a meal.

Speaking of the full moon, have you ever wondered why we went to the
moon and brought back 382 kg (842 lbs) of moon rocks?

no, why ?

Sigh. Work on the critical thinking.

Morphing into a werewolf requires viewing the full moon. Painting a
circle on the ceiling, filling it with moon dust, and shining a sun
lamp on it, makes a tolerable but expensive moon facsimile for those
werewolves who want to get an early start on the nights festivities,
or want to turn into a werewolf on a night when the full moon is not
shining. You don't believe that we spent all that public money going
to the moon just to irritate the Russians?

It doesn't take much dust:
"Lost Apollo 11 Moon Dust Found in Storage"
http://www.space.com/21050-apollo-11-moon-dust-found.html

Have you ever wondered for whom those anatomic bifurcated bicycle
saddles were designed to fit? Hint: They were not designed for
hemorrhoid victims.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old January 11th 17, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 4:23:07 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 7:37:34 AM UTC-8, wrote:

Snipped
It is predicted to rain steadily for the next two days and then we'll
have a week's break where I can quickly get some riding in so all of my
muscles don't atrophy.

Two days of rain! My God -- how do you endure! I rode in the rain on
melting ice/snow slush this morning. I'm riding on CX tires, which are
lousy on pavement because they squirm -- but they are better than studs,
which ride like tank tracks (or at least my cheap ones do). Tomorrow
will be sheet ice, and I'll drive-skate to work. I look forward to
getting back to my rain tires when the ice/snow finally goes away. I
would never not ride because it is raining (and above freezing -- I draw
the line at freezing rain). I just put on different clothes.

-- Jay Beattie.

I too ride a lot in the rain. Sometimes I've even had to ride in freezing
rain. THAT can be "verrrry interestink". LOL

I like 26" x 2.125 or 2.25" big knob tires for snow. I drop the pressure
down to 15 - 20 psi in deep snow or on ice. I too like cyclo-cross tires
in slush because they go right through it to the pavement. My tires are
700C x 30 mm Schwalbe CX Pros. I don't find those squirmy on pavememt and
they can go to 90 psi.

Cheers

I'm not a big fan of riding in the rain. If it's pouring when I get up for
work I'm likely to drive. I won't let the threat of rain stop me so I've
been caught in it. I ride my road bike in the rain since I sold the
touring bike. I don't really have problems with the 700c 23s that I use.
I'm running them at 90 psi and they grip well enough. The real problem with
rain for me is the visibility. Both mine and the drivers. As for freezing
rain, forget it.

--
duane
Old January 11th 17, 03:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

14-15 Gov printing office
Old January 11th 17, 03:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 3:12:51 PM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

I have 32mm Hutchinson CX tires (run at 60psi) that are narrower than my 35mm sale-table Performance "rain tires" (big semi-slicks that spin in slush).. I have some 35mm Innova cheap-o studs for snow, but it is rare that snow sticks around for long enough to justify mounting them. They are really, really hard to get beaded.

I recall getting stuck in some freezing rain on the way to work and meeting up with another commuter at a light. He looked over at me and said, "what the f*** are we doing?" I had no good answer. I try to avoid the freezing rain and ice.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old January 11th 17, 08:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Izzit that intelligent people wth $$$ buy cheap rain tires caws expensive tires are no better than less costly than...tires ?
Old January 11th 17, 04:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 11:55:09 PM UTC-8, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
Izzit that intelligent people wth $$$ buy cheap rain tires caws expensive tires are no better than less costly than...tires ?

I'm sure there are better tires out there, but the ones I chose had a decent compound and a good tread pattern -- not a pure slick but lots of rubber on the road. http://www.performancebike.com/webap...904#reviewsTab

Flat resistance is not great when they get worn, and I just dumped my rear tire and replaced it with a Gatorskin I had hanging around -- a 28mm. I'm going to shop around for something in the 32mm range, but no way I'm going to spend $50 on an exotic Marathon or equivalent.

EPILOG -- studs going on today because we got about a foot of snow overnight and its still falling. Totally not like Portland. Sad. What is this, Nazi Germany (in winter)?

Riding home last night in about an inch or two, the CX tires were great. All the freaked-out motorists were not so great.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old January 11th 17, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 5:12:56 PM UTC-8, Duane wrote:

I'm not a big fan of riding in the rain. If it's pouring when I get up for
work I'm likely to drive. I won't let the threat of rain stop me so I've
been caught in it. I ride my road bike in the rain since I sold the
touring bike. I don't really have problems with the 700c 23s that I use..
I'm running them at 90 psi and they grip well enough. The real problem with
rain for me is the visibility. Both mine and the drivers. As for freezing
rain, forget it.

It isn't the rain that bothers me nearly so much as the drivers in California are terrible to begin with and the rain doesn't make them any better. When you turn on the news and 20 minutes after the rain starts you have crashes on every freeway in the entire area you get the idea. And then Google Maps will route cars around the wrecks on side streets that are not meant for anything over 20 mph and they will attempt to drive at 40 mph.

I drive down a hill and stop at the light at the bottom and two cars slide into the intersection and it's only by the grace of God that no one was in the way. And THIS right in front of the Sheriff's department.

I'm going to ride in this sort of thing without 3 feet of armor around me?
Old January 11th 17, 09:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 10:26:57 AM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

opened ur post reading first paragraph then went to find a can of Brisk...thinking well there are average tire, one or 2 less as time goes on...and several good tires but no OUTSTANDING rain tire...

then I get back to the screen and the well off lawyer isnot spending an extra 20+ for the outstanding range in his life's passion

an epidemic disease of incroyable cheapness ....spend jersey's , computers, faux wooden baskets ....but the contact patch.... ????

Old January 11th 17, 09:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

the drought has laid in a shellacing of grease n hydrocarbon debris mixed with graphite.

the rain is liquefying the solid whahooooo in between cracks n baby its ooozin' out

yawl best take care not to slide under the bus.

Old January 12th 17, 12:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 12:38:09 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Last week on the PBS program Nova, those animals were part of the
hour-long show. Seems in the east, at least, they originated in
Algonquin National Park, which had an isolated wolf population. When
coyotes recently extended their range into the area, the coyotes and
wolves mated, and they continue to do so.

I saw that, too- quite interesting as I knew little about the urban
coyote phenomenon. My Mom lived in a suburb of Chicago and reported to
me that coyotes had been seen in town. I was skeptical but apparently
it's a thing.

Here in the Twin Cities some have been spotted, but the prairies are not
too far away to the west and south, and the Mississippi River corridor
makes for pretty convenient migration of non-flying animals into and
through the metro area. I live a more or less literal stone's throw
from an interstate smack in the middle of the Twin Cities and there was
a large grey fox living within a block of our house. Deer have been
seen in backyards here. The Mississippi River gorge is less than a mile
away which probably accounts for this. And of course we have the usual
complement of rabbits, squirrels, racoons, oppossums and a few times a
year we see red-tail hawks and an eagle or two in our immediate
neighborhood.

And the spread of coyotes has been remarkable. They now take young deer
in our forest preserve - a good thing, overall, I think. And with luck,
they may convince people to keep their dogs on leash.

Peoples is everywhere and animals are adapting to our encroachment into
their ranges with urban expansion by figuring out how to live in urban
areas themselves. In what, 40 years or so the Earth's population has
nearly doubled and will do so again in even less time (barring famine,
pestilence or an outbreak of rationality).