New Carbon Fiber Information

Old January 11th 17, 07:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default New Carbon Fiber Information

If you're a racer, fine. But if you aren't trying to go faster than someone else is pure ego.

Huh?!?! What sense does that make???

If you truly are mainstream, that's fine too. But if you want to be politically correct that's pure ego.

"A witty saying proves nothing" -Voltaire
Old January 11th 17, 08:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 9:57:19 AM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 8:41:13 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 8:04:57 PM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 7:28:41 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/10/2017 4:11 PM, wrote:
But light bikes do NOT make hard climbs much easier. In fact they add a lot of problems. Once the grade gets up to 18% you can't use low gears because on the light bikes it will lift the front wheel off of the ground. The bike will then pivot around the rear wheel and if you're ready for that you can lay the bike over before it turns down hill.

The way professional climbers get away with this is that they use LARGE gears. Then you don't have the leverage to lift the front wheel.

I think you need to draw a free body diagram of the forces involved..

Sure, you can pop a wheelie on a steep grade if you put too much weight over the rear wheel on a short wheelbase bike in a super-low gear -- but you can do that with a steel bike, too. That's why you move your weight forward a little -- but not so much that you lose rear traction.

Professional climbers do not use LARGE gears. Post-Lance, they spin. My son was on the crew for the Tour of Utah and was surprised that a lot of domestic and Euro pros were using low gears. Here's a photo that he took:
http://tinyurl.com/hpztj3o That ride has some staggering climbs with 20% grades.

Jay, take out a CX bike with super low gears on a mountain bike course with extremely steep sections just one time and you'll see what I'm talking about. Then use this same bike on steep asphalt sections and it is so plain that you can't miss it.

You have to shift your weight to avoid the wheelie effect. I commute on a CX bike and ride steep hills every day on asphalt and dirt -- including a dirt trail that goes straight up next to a set of steps. It is over 30%. I ride that on a 34/26 -- which is my low gear on that bike, but I do it out of the saddle, fairly centered until I bog down and lose traction (I also encounter a barrier). I ride steep asphalt in the same gears on the CX bike, but usually out of the saddle for the steepest parts. I have a Roubaix that has a 34/28, and it will wheelie if I don't move forward a little. I'm not disputing that you can get the "light front end" wobble or wheelie. You just have to change your riding position. BTW, I sometimes ride the steepest street in America and perhaps the world -- which is not too far from my house. http://offbeatoregon.com/H1010b_oreg...st-street.html These dudes are preparing for the epic climb: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gabrie...995/?ytcheck=1

Jay, a low gear is something like 34-36. What you are talking about is a normal low gear. Remember, we weren't talking about racer's gearing but what people are putting on bikes now that Mt Bike cassettes and cranks are available for road bikes.
Old January 11th 17, 08:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 3:11:45 PM UTC-6, wrote:

I'm not that good of a climber but I can run down most of the best around here if I'm in the mood. I can even give them a quarter mile lead on a hard climb.

You must be a retired professional rider. Or you live where every rider is extremely obese. Or like to make things up and live in a fantasy world.
Old January 11th 17, 08:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 8:16:29 AM UTC-6, AMuzi wrote:
I recall well the wise words of my then-roommate Rich
Hammen, writing in his Competitive Cycling column under the
pseudonym 'Ask Captain America':
Q = Should I train spinning small gears or pushing big gears?
A = To win, you need to spin big gears.

--
Andrew Muzi

I am always amazed when I see pro riding on TV. It shows them going along on the flat at 32-33 mph. I don't hit those speeds going down hill pedaling as hard as I can. I don't think I have ever hit those speeds on the flat even with a very strong tailwind.
Old January 11th 17, 08:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 11:27:12 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 3:11:45 PM UTC-6, wrote:

I'm not that good of a climber but I can run down most of the best around here if I'm in the mood. I can even give them a quarter mile lead on a hard climb.

You must be a retired professional rider. Or you live where every rider is extremely obese. Or like to make things up and live in a fantasy world.

No offense, but at 72, any young Cat 5 who couldn't beat him should take up another sport -- like darts. Among his age peers, however, he might be superman.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old January 11th 17, 08:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 11:30:08 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 8:16:29 AM UTC-6, AMuzi wrote:
I recall well the wise words of my then-roommate Rich
Hammen, writing in his Competitive Cycling column under the
pseudonym 'Ask Captain America':
Q = Should I train spinning small gears or pushing big gears?
A = To win, you need to spin big gears.

--
Andrew Muzi

I am always amazed when I see pro riding on TV. It shows them going along on the flat at 32-33 mph. I don't hit those speeds going down hill pedaling as hard as I can. I don't think I have ever hit those speeds on the flat even with a very strong tailwind.

Three years ago at the Century from Gilroy I ended the last five miles at 28 mph. I had gotten behind and every time I was about to catch them I would instead catch a red light. Then I would run the speed up and be closing on them like gangbusters and they would just get through another red light. This went on for every half mile for five miles. So I was accelerating REALLY hard and then running at 28 or a little above. At the end of the five miles I couldn't find my car in the parking lot for a half hour I was so shot. We beat probably 80% of the other riders back even after starting late. I was 69 at that time. And I thought we were riding pretty easy. I was even staying back with a slower climber in our group.

And that was with a 52. Racers are running 54's or even 55's these days. Rumor was that LeMond used a 56 in TT's.
Old January 11th 17, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

" writes:

On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 3:11:45 PM UTC-6, wrote:

I'm not that good of a climber but I can run down most of the best
around here if I'm in the mood. I can even give them a quarter mile
lead on a hard climb.

You must be a retired professional rider. Or you live where every
rider is extremely obese. Or like to make things up and live in a

^^^^
I'm afraid that Mr. Kunich may not have a choice. Just saying.

fantasy world.

Old January 11th 17, 09:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 12:04:40 PM UTC-8, Radey Shouman wrote:
" writes:

On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 3:11:45 PM UTC-6, wrote:

I'm not that good of a climber but I can run down most of the best
around here if I'm in the mood. I can even give them a quarter mile
lead on a hard climb.

You must be a retired professional rider. Or you live where every
rider is extremely obese. Or like to make things up and live in a

^^^^
I'm afraid that Mr. Kunich may not have a choice. Just saying.

fantasy world.

If you think that's fantasy world after you guys spouting about cadence and gearing while missing the entire point go right ahead. And a Cat 5 CAN beat me. So where does that leave you?