Are you prepared for the snow?

Old January 27th 04, 10:41 AM
Colin Blackburn

Default Are you prepared for the snow?

Well, the Gruaniad asked several people, one of whom was John Snow.

"Jon Snow, newsreader
I'm looking for nobblier tyres for my bicycle - I cycle to work every day.
And I shall also be looking for an extra layer of clothing. I haven't yet
decided whether to go for longjohns and a vest, or extra layers on top. I
could get the old silk ski gloves out but I'll probably just rely on my
Spitfire scarf. Will I be eating porridge? I love porridge. Let's think
about that ... No, I won't cycle far enough to burn it off. Here in the
Channel 4 offices we are so far below ground that it could be high summer
and we wouldn't even know it. It certainly won't be as bad as the coldest
weather I ever encountered - during Reagan's inauguration in January 1985,
when I had to borrow my partner's tights."

From: http://www.guardian.co.uk/weather/St...131869,00.html

For what it's worth we've had snow up here in Co. Durham on and off for
the whole of January:

http://www.ximenes.org.uk/snow.html

Colin
Old January 27th 04, 01:16 PM
marc

Colin Blackburn wrote:

For what it's worth we've had snow up here in Co. Durham on and off for
the whole of January:

Weather, like fuel stoppages , strikes and congestion are only ever of
any concern if it affects London!

--
Marc. Please note the above address is a spam trap, use marcc to reply
Printing for clubs of all types http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk
Old January 27th 04, 04:56 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Colin Blackburn wrote:

For what it's worth we've had snow up here in Co. Durham on and off for
the whole of January:

Where do you live? The in-laws have a cottage in Weardale and have
cancelled this week's trip!

Old January 27th 04, 07:45 PM
Simonb

Colin Blackburn wrote:

http://www.ximenes.org.uk/snow.html

Colin

Lovely pics. I miss snow. I think we used to get it down here.

Simon

Old January 27th 04, 09:29 PM
Richard Corfield

On 2004-01-27, Simonb wrote:
Colin Blackburn wrote:

http://www.ximenes.org.uk/snow.html

Colin

Lovely pics. I miss snow. I think we used to get it down here.

Yes, your making a few of us thoroughly jealous ;-)

--
_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ Richard dot Corfield at ntlworld dot com
_/ _/ _/ _/
Old January 27th 04, 09:36 PM
Richard Bates

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 10:41:57 -0000, in
, Colin Blackburn
wrote:

http://www.ximenes.org.uk/snow.html

was wall6.jpg taken on the C2C route?
--
I remember when the internet was only in black & white.
It only had a few pages but at least they all worked.
Old January 27th 04, 10:54 PM
davebee

Its snowing up here in Manchester. I guess that means I will have to cancel my weekend ride. I can't ride in snow :

-

Old January 28th 04, 09:53 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

"davebee" wrote in message

Its snowing up here in Manchester. I guess that means I will have to

cancel
my weekend ride. I can't ride in snow

So close to Altrincham? No excuses! ;-)

(http://www.windcheetah.co.uk)

--
Guy
===

http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

Old January 28th 04, 11:22 AM
Mark McN

Reply to Just zis Guy, you know?

So close to Altrincham? No excuses! ;-)

(http://www.windcheetah.co.uk)

The *best* end to a long and dreadful day at work: I came home in the
Windcheetah at 11p.m. last night, through thick snow. I enjoyed it so
much, I took the long way round.

I got bogged down on the cobbles at the end of my road, with the rear
wheel spinning uselessly. I was determined not to be defeated, so I
reached forward and turned the front wheels by hand while still
pedalling. It worked - I never knew that they came with 3x3 drive ;-)

[I am at present A Smug Git AICMFP...]

--
Mark, UK.
If you give me six lines written by the most honest man, I will find
Old January 28th 04, 01:37 PM
2LAP

davebee wrote:
Its snowing up here in Manchester. I guess that means I will have to
cancel my weekend ride. I can't ride in snow

Why? Get on an MTB or cyclo cross bike and ride on quiet roads. Sno
makes your usual rides more fun; its not often that you can get a bik
to travel sideways without falling off! You actualy get a lot o
traction in snow you just have to watch out for highly compacted snow o
ice underneath. If you go into your local woods the ground will be har
and the snow will provide additional traction resulting in very fas
conditions

If you only have one bike, like a road bike, why not go into the loca
park and play around in fresh snow. Snow isn't too bad for your bike an
you'll be able to do things with your bike you can't normaly

Every problem is an opportunity

If you really don't like snow, support your local facilities and use th
track or have a go at BMX or cycle speedway. There is bound to b
something on and you'll be able to borrow a bike from most venues if yo
ask nice enough. If you want to cycle lots there is really no excuse fo
not going to the velodrome

-