Will this be the death of cycling in the US?

Old April 19th 05, 04:20 AM
Sam

"Carl Sundquist" wrote in message
news:FmY8e.3024$mS1.2293@okepread04...

"crit PRO" wrote in message
ups.com...
Lance stepping down.
Tyler getting sacked.

Same day. Where were you when you heard the news? Tuesday April 18,
2005. It's the Kennedy moment for our generation.

crit PRO

There seems to be a disconnect between you and whoever set up the chairs
and
the number of media who felt the news conference was something worth
covering.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...lance/B85F9582

I'll bet they even had a free appetizer buffet for the media, too

I wonder how many of the journalists at the press conference were wondering
what they had done wrong to be sent to a bike race by their editors.

Old April 19th 05, 06:29 AM
Howard Kveck

In article . net,
"Sam" wrote:

I wonder how many of the journalists at the press conference were wondering
what they had done wrong to be sent to a bike race by their editors.

Probably not too many. They get their transportation paid, fed, a fairly
decent hotel room and more than a few other perks. It's all part of the job
for most of them, I'd be willing to bet. I realize that covering this kind
of event isn't like covering a presidential campaign, but whatever. I think
Tim Mullin could shed some light on this.

--
tanx,
Howard

Butter is love.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old April 19th 05, 07:21 AM
Kenny

psycholist wrote:
"crit PRO" wrote in message
ups.com...
Lance stepping down.
Tyler getting sacked.

Same day. Where were you when you heard the news? Tuesday April 18,
2005. It's the Kennedy moment for our generation.

crit PRO

As long as we've got Bobby Julich and Chris Horner, there's hope,

right? ...
right?

--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

Your hope should be they keep on riding until Tyler Farrar has been
developped to ride on the highest level. The black hole is just around
the corner.

Kenny

Old April 19th 05, 11:05 AM
gym.gravity

Carl Sundquist wrote:
"crit PRO" wrote in message
ups.com...
Lance stepping down.
Tyler getting sacked.

Same day. Where were you when you heard the news? Tuesday April 18,
2005. It's the Kennedy moment for our generation.

crit PRO

There seems to be a disconnect between you and whoever set up the

chairs and
the number of media who felt the news conference was something worth
covering.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...lance/B85F9582

I'll bet they even had a free appetizer buffet for the media, too

Is Jeff Jones in that shot?

Old April 19th 05, 11:48 AM
Donald Munro

Carl Sundquist wrote:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...lance/B85F9582
I'll bet they even had a free appetizer buffet for the media, too

gym.gravity wrote:
Is Jeff Jones in that shot?

If he is he must have traded in the blimp for a used concorde.

Old April 19th 05, 01:12 PM
Robert Chung

Jeff Jones wrote:
Anyone know which way the wind is coming from?

Yeah, where are Brian and Tom?

Old April 19th 05, 02:56 PM
Curtis L. Russell

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 01:17:20 GMT, Casey Kerrigan
wrote:

The popularity of bicycle racing ( in terms of the number of people
actually racing) isn't really affected by Lance or any other popular
Pro racer. The bigger factor is having good grass roots programs that
make it easier for people interested in racing to give the sport a try.

It would also help to have some heavily promoted USCF A and B races in
every region. Seeing a real bike race up close has more impact than
the Tour on TV IMO. OTOH, its hard to find the D race in the local
industrial park.

Coverage in the newspapers probably suffers from a near requirement
that the results be available in time for the next day's paper on a
regular basis. If each area assigned someone to do that, papers might
start using the results as filler. There's a local angle in almost
every race. But that doesn't happen that much from my experience. Its
far more common for everyone to have a 'pay the prizes, pack up the
finish line and go home' attitude.

It might even help to encourage interest among the non-racers, instead
of the reverse. The disconnect and disdain seen between non-racers and
racers chops off the primary spectator group at the knees. Bike clubs
used to ride to the stages of the Tour du Pont/Trump - they could do
the same for a well promoted A or B race. I was a newsletter editor
for LAW/LAB bike clubs for probably a decade total and never saw one
item from a USCF club.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old April 19th 05, 03:38 PM
Donald Munro

Jeff Jones wrote:
Anyone know which way the wind is coming from?

Robert Chung wrote:
Yeah, where are Brian and Tom?

Perhaps Brian at the Vatican lobbying any prospective popes for
ex-communication for dopers.

Old April 19th 05, 04:50 PM
cat6

crit PRO Wrote:
Lance stepping down.
Tyler getting sacked.

Same day. Where were you when you heard the news? Tuesday April 18,
2005. It's the Kennedy moment for our generation.

crit PRO

WHAU-WHAU WHAUUUUU

--
cat6

Old April 19th 05, 08:49 PM
Scott

Sam wrote:
"crit PRO" wrote in message
ups.com...
Lance stepping down.
Tyler getting sacked.

Same day. Where were you when you heard the news? Tuesday April 18,
2005. It's the Kennedy moment for our generation.

crit PRO

So one athlete announcing his retirement and another being suspended

equates
in your mind to a popular US President being assassinated?

That dumbass didn't even know yesterday was MONDAY.

BTW, is it better or worse if an UNpopular president is assassinated?