Extreme Ti(y)re Puncture

Old February 6th 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default Extreme Ti(y)re Puncture

Ok, well, I was being extremely careless yesterday at a friend's house,
and rode my Torker CX 24" on a fairly rough offroad path behind his
house (at least fairly rough to me, meaning lots of little rocks,
random hard weeds, hills and ditches every 2-3 feet, etc.). On my way
back, after a fairly normal UPD, I tried to mount again, but when I got
on, I felt 2-3 inches shorter than usual. I tried to ride and couldn't
even move. Being the dumb person that I now know myself to be, I tried
a couple more times, before finally looking at my ti(y)re and realizing
that it was as flat as a 5 year old. I carried it back to my friend's
garage, we aired it up to full capacity, and within minutes, it was
back to being a flattened piece of junk. We did find one thorn stuck in
the ti(y)re that we pulled out, but I'm not sure if there might be even
more.

So now, I'm looking at several options;

1. Take it to the LBS, get a quote (no idea how much it would be), and
get it fixed there.
2. Buy a new ti(y)re, either from the LBS or on UDC.
3. Patch it myself, either with a kit or through some homebrewed method
that I'm sure one of you vets has tucked up their sleeve.
4. Wait it out and not ride at all for 3 weeks while I finish saving up
for my Torker DX (I will only use this as an extreme last resort - I
would miss unicycling so much).

So, what do you guys recommend to be the most efficient, cost-effective
way to fix the problem?

--
dudewithasock

'My Unicycling Journal'
officially ended - currently in the process of preparing it for my free
webspace.

'MR - Reply 40,000' (http://tinyurl.com/dwwy5)
dudewithasock's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10900

Old February 6th 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

you only need to fix the tube, I would just buy a new one from like
wal-mart.

--
koebwil

"I used to eat erasers in grade school...." James_Potter
koebwil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11308

Old February 6th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Ok, this is gonna sound really ignorant on my part (mostly because it
is), but what exactly is the tube in relation to the ti(y)re?

And would getting it repaired just not be a very viable option?

Old February 6th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

the tube is what give the tyre its shape ...without the tube your tyre
would be flat...it is a very nessesary part of the uni... and yes the
repair is an option but if you dont already have a kit then i would
just suggest a new tube...it will probably cost the same if not more
for the patch kit.

--
trials_uni

'Check Out my Newbie Guide' (http://tinyurl.com/99yez) ---new more
informative post go now! edited today!
Also Join the 'Unicyclist Roster'
(http://ecstasy.winternet.com/roster/index.php?) and meet other
unicyclists in your area!
Make Your Own 'Juggling Clubs!' (http://www.crazytieguy.com/clubs.htm)

Old February 6th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Ok so the tube is the literal rubber of the whole wheelset? And the tire
is just tube+rim...?

I feel really dumb right now.

Old February 6th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

dudewithasock wrote:
Ok so the tube is the literal rubber of the whole wheelset? And the tire
is just tube+rim...?

I feel really dumb right now.

geeeez, noob

the tire is the outer peice of rubber that contacts the ground. Your
tire is reuseable. The tube is the $3.00 tube that fits inside you tire
and holds the air and keeps the bead of the tire locked into the rim.

--
DK

*sunday bombs
*
DK's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8054

Old February 6th 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I suggest you go to your local bike shop and ask them to teach you how
to change the tube. Also, buy a few spare tubes and some tire levers
from them so that you can fix flats in the future.

--
phlegm
phlegm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8382

Old February 6th 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

the first is a picture of an uninflated tube and the second is of a tyre
...the tube goes inside the tyre and then the tyre goes onto the rim.

|Filename: TISCH24X.jpg |

Old February 6th 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Aight well, I found this post my MikeFule, so I'm gonna head out to buy
a set or two of tire irons and a new tube (maybe another just in case)
and do it myself for cheaper. Do I look for a specific measurement (my
tire is a 24x1.75 Kenda)?