Strange 'ping'!

Old July 7th 04, 01:15 PM
Paul Davis

Default Strange 'ping'!

I have developed a rather annoying and loud 'ping' which occurs when turning
the bars, I can also feel a vibration through the bars! It's intermitant but
annoying.

I've recently re-adjusted the headset and whilst doing this removed the stem
and applied a little copper grease to the steerer, I put a bit of copper
grease on the top cap bolt too.

Everything went back together correctly and was tightened up to torque using
a torque wrench. I did almost 30 miles on the bike before the ping/vibration
began so it may have nothing to do with this.

I even took the bike into the LBS to get a professional to check the headset
for play and everything seems fine (of course the bike refused to make even
the slightest ping whilst in the shop).

Any ideas? The problem only seems to appear whilst riding, the brake/gear
cable ferruals are greased and there is no obvious source. Was copper grease
on the stem/steel steerer interface a bad idea? I'd assumed the same sort of
cold bonding/rust problems that might occur with a alloy steatpost in a
steel frame, hence the c.grease.

Thanks for any thoughts,
PJay

Old July 7th 04, 03:05 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Paul Davis
') wrote:

I have developed a rather annoying and loud 'ping' which occurs when
turning the bars, I can also feel a vibration through the bars! It's
intermitant but annoying.

Any ideas? The problem only seems to appear whilst riding, the
brake/gear cable ferruals are greased and there is no obvious source.

Is one of your control cables straightening over part of its run and
then bending again? Is there any unfairness in the cable run? Is a
cable (or anything else) binding against the bars, stem or fork?

pSchroedinger's cat is blinkstrongNOT/strong/blink dead./p

Old July 7th 04, 07:43 PM
Paul Davis

Hi and thanks for the thoughts.

I have checked the cables and there may have been some movement particularly
where the cables pass through the guides, I've tried to improve things and
will have a test ride when this horrid weather has improved!

Thanks again.

Paul

Old July 7th 04, 11:15 PM
Sandy Morton

In article ,
Simon Brooke wrote:
Is one of your control cables straightening over part of its run and
then bending again? Is there any unfairness in the cable run? Is a
cable (or anything else) binding against the bars, stem or fork?

Do you have a front reflector?

--
A T (Sandy) Morton
on the Bicycle Island
Old July 8th 04, 10:01 AM
Paul Davis

Hi Sandy,

No I don't have a front reflector but I do have fittings for a front
mudguard which fits into the end of the steerer tube via an expanding wedge,
so maybe that's worth looking at.

With Kind Regards,
Paul