Fixed gear on home trainer?

Old December 1st 04, 12:44 PM
Maciek Ostaszewski

Default Fixed gear on home trainer?

Does the fixed gear bike work on home trainer (like tacx swing, not rollers?

I have an old track bike (120mm or less rear hub spacing, nuts) and want
to use it on home trainer. Will it work? Is it safe for home trainer? Do
I need to change my axle to quick realese?

regards,

maciek
Old December 1st 04, 02:07 PM
Tom Paterson

From: Maciek Ostaszewski:

I have an old track bike (120mm or less rear hub spacing, nuts) and want
to use it on home trainer like tacx swing. Will it work? Is it safe for home

trainer? Do
I need to change my axle to quick realese?

Don't know the "tacx" unit, track nuts don't work and are not safe on my
Cyclops Mag trainer. After falling out (once) with nutted track wheel, I
started bringing my street fixed wheel to warm up on at the track, 120 spacing
and QR. No prob with slipping using that wheel. --TP

Old December 1st 04, 02:09 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Maciek- Does the fixed gear bike work on home trainer (like tacx swing, not
rollers? BRBR
I have an old track bike (120mm or less rear hub spacing, nuts) and want
to use it on home trainer. Will it work? Is it safe for home trainer? Do
I need to change my axle to quick realese? BRBR

I say, sure it will. Great idea. No need to change anything.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old December 1st 04, 03:41 PM

If this is a TACX Swing, the 120 rear won't fit. The clamping/locking
bolts will not go that tight - I can just fit my 130 rear in with three
or four threads showing on the clamping/locking bolt.

Old December 1st 04, 05:11 PM
Kinky Cowboy

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 13:44:38 +0100, Maciek Ostaszewski
wrote:

Does the fixed gear bike work on home trainer (like tacx swing, not rollers?

I have an old track bike (120mm or less rear hub spacing, nuts) and want
to use it on home trainer. Will it work? Is it safe for home trainer? Do
I need to change my axle to quick realese?

regards,

maciek

Real men ride rollers. You're clearly halfway to being a man by riding
fixed, so step up.
Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary
Old December 1st 04, 06:23 PM
Peter Cole

"Maciek Ostaszewski" wrote in message
Does the fixed gear bike work on home trainer (like tacx swing, not

rollers?

I have an old track bike (120mm or less rear hub spacing, nuts) and want
to use it on home trainer. Will it work? Is it safe for home trainer? Do
I need to change my axle to quick realese?

I don't know about the clamp on yours. I have a Q/R on mine and I have no
problem with a Blackburn mag trainer. In fact, the only bike I ever use on
it anymore is the fixer. I don't know why, I think I just enjoy being able
to pedal in either direction.

Old December 1st 04, 07:52 PM
Scott Hendricks

Maciek Ostaszewski wrote in message ...
Does the fixed gear bike work on home trainer (like tacx swing, not rollers?

I have an old track bike (120mm or less rear hub spacing, nuts) and want
to use it on home trainer. Will it work? Is it safe for home trainer? Do
I need to change my axle to quick realese?

regards,

maciek

I have a Tacx Flow trainer and use a fixed gear setup on it. The 120
spacing isn't wide enough as is, though. I threaded a second set of
axle nuts onto the ends of the axles, thus making the effective
distance between outer ends of the axle nuts quite a bit longer. It
works fine, albeit with the adjustment on the trainer maxed out.

I'm thinking of putting a longer axle in the hub, so that I can spread
the axle nuts out a little further (using washers).
Old December 1st 04, 09:32 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Maciek Ostaszewski wrote:

Does the fixed gear bike work on home trainer (like tacx swing, not
rollers?

I have an old track bike (120mm or less rear hub spacing, nuts) and want
to use it on home trainer. Will it work? Is it safe for home trainer? Do
I need to change my axle to quick realese?

My Tacx trainer won't grip track nuts. If you have a hollow rear axle
and can use the supplied QR skewer, you will be fine.
Old December 13th 04, 02:35 AM
Neacalban1

My Performance fluid millenium trainer doesnt work very well with track nuts-
its wobbles a bit, and the spacing is off. I switched to a hollow axle/QR,
which fixes both problems.

Fixed gear questions....... John UK 3 May 19th 04 04:44 PM
"fixed" freewheel, variable gear? Byron Sheppard Techniques 23 December 5th 03 02:35 AM
Fixed Gear Bike? [email protected] General 4 October 29th 03 04:40 AM