Cold Weather Cable Lube

Old December 8th 11, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

Default Cold Weather Cable Lube

My brake and shift cables are getting sticky in the cold weather. Is
there a light, cold weather lube that would be good for this
application. I'm using Phil and/or a teflon in lithium lube now.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 8th 11, 03:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Harry Brogan[_7_]

On Wed, 7 Dec 2011 19:20:33 -0800 (PST), Jay Beattie
wrote:

My brake and shift cables are getting sticky in the cold weather. Is
there a light, cold weather lube that would be good for this
application. I'm using Phil and/or a teflon in lithium lube now.

-- Jay Beattie.

I have been using Purple Exttreme for many years now and I have never
had any issues with cables sticking. Here's the link....

http://www.purpleextreme.com/
Old December 8th 11, 03:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
atriage[_6_]

wrote:

My brake and shift cables are getting sticky in the cold weather. Is
there a light, cold weather lube that would be good for this
application. I'm using Phil and/or a teflon in lithium lube now.

-- Jay Beattie.

I have been using Purple Exttreme for many years now and I have never
had any issues with cables sticking. Here's the link....

http://www.purpleextreme.com/

Hey that only protects From Wear Down To -100° F. What happens if it gets really
cold?

Old December 8th 11, 03:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Jay Beattie wrote:
My brake and shift cables are getting sticky in the cold weather. Is
there a light, cold weather lube that would be good for this
application. I'm using Phil and/or a teflon in lithium lube now.

-- Jay Beattie.

I'm not usually much for 'magic in a bottle' products but
Rock-n-Roll is perfect for that. Impressive stuff.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old December 8th 11, 04:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Harry Brogan[_7_]

wrote:

My brake and shift cables are getting sticky in the cold weather. Is
there a light, cold weather lube that would be good for this
application. I'm using Phil and/or a teflon in lithium lube now.

-- Jay Beattie.

I have been using Purple Exttreme for many years now and I have never
had any issues with cables sticking. Here's the link....

http://www.purpleextreme.com/

Hey that only protects From Wear Down To -100° F. What happens if it gets really
cold?

I did a little research and talked to the owners of Purple Extreme.
And this is the same lubricant that's used on north sea oil rigs for
alot of their cables and gears. I have noticed one things about this
product. My chain wear is a LOT less and it's also extremely quiet
when I ride.

As for the temperature thing. I have been out riding when it's been
-20F and had absolutely NO issues with any cables or gears being
sluggish.

I ride in some rather odd and, sometimes, extreme weather conditions.
I am definitely NOT just a "fair weather" rider so I am always on the
lookout for products that can handle the abuse I dish out.

Currently I am riding a Trek Transport and it's has already been
outfitted with a lot of extras. Some new and some that have yet to be
tested in extremes.
Old December 8th 11, 02:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DougC

On 12/7/2011 9:20 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:
My brake and shift cables are getting sticky in the cold weather. Is
there a light, cold weather lube that would be good for this
application. I'm using Phil and/or a teflon in lithium lube now.

-- Jay Beattie.

First, wipe off the cables.

Next, wipe on pure teflon powder, used dry.

http://www.spurlocktools.com/id39.htm

No stiction at all, because there's no liquid involved (-plus a bunch of
other reasons, that I already posted a while back-).

Old December 8th 11, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

Op 8-12-2011 4:20, Jay Beattie schreef:
My brake and shift cables are getting sticky in the cold weather. Is
there a light, cold weather lube that would be good for this
application. I'm using Phil and/or a teflon in lithium lube now.

-- Jay Beattie.

Even medium quality outer cables have teflon liners. If used with
stainless steel inner cables what would lube add other than attract dirt?

Lou
Old December 8th 11, 05:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Dec 7, 9:20*pm, Jay Beattie wrote:
My brake and shift cables are getting sticky in the cold weather. *Is
there a light, cold weather lube that would be good for this
application. I'm using Phil and/or a teflon in lithium lube now.

-- Jay Beattie.

Prolink works for me. If I didn't have a bunch of little schwag
bottles from the rep, I'll likely just use any dry lube.
Old December 9th 11, 03:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Dec 8, 3:20*am, Jay Beattie wrote:
My brake and shift cables are getting sticky in the cold weather. *Is
there a light, cold weather lube that would be good for this
application. I'm using Phil and/or a teflon in lithium lube now.

-- Jay Beattie.

Use plastic lined cables and silicone. Or use metal with an MoS2 .
Standard metal lube has been GT85 which I think is a graphite and
teflon mix. It works a little while, but needs constant re-
application.
Old December 9th 11, 03:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Harry Brogan[_7_]

On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 19:00:49 -0800 (PST), thirty-six
wrote:

On Dec 8, 3:20*am, Jay Beattie wrote:
My brake and shift cables are getting sticky in the cold weather. *Is
there a light, cold weather lube that would be good for this
application. I'm using Phil and/or a teflon in lithium lube now.

-- Jay Beattie.

Use plastic lined cables and silicone. Or use metal with an MoS2 .
Standard metal lube has been GT85 which I think is a graphite and
teflon mix. It works a little while, but needs constant re-
application.

I'll stand by the Purple Extreme. One good initial application and,
unless it's incredibly wet weather, it's good for three to six months.

Cold weather Bob Burns General 18 October 31st 06 01:30 PM
FS: Giordana Cold, Cold weather tights, Size 3 [email protected] Marketplace 0 December 12th 05 06:33 PM
FS: Giordana Cold, Cold weather tights, Size 3 [email protected] Marketplace 0 December 12th 05 06:33 PM
cold weather Q? ~R General 24 October 24th 05 11:43 PM
cold weather? How cold is it? Max General 14 December 12th 04 07:50 PM