Australia post pushbikes ...

Old May 4th 06, 04:31 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Australia post pushbikes ...

My ongoing saga of trying to get the ultimate shopping bicycle ...

It turns out Australia Post bicycles are made by Southcott Cycle
Division South Australia, *but* they only sell to post offices - I just
spent some time on the phone to some bloke with them, no website that I
could easily find ... but their ph no. is (03) 9558 5449 and I said "I
want one", he said "we only sell to post offices". And around we went
a couple of times, but a brick wall.

I wonder why that would be? Any theories? They just said "no" over &
over and would give me no explanation as to why. It must be possible
to get one if I can get past the lackey and talk to someone with some
authority though ... I don't want to have to steal one from aussie
post!

Old May 4th 06, 04:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Bleve wrote:

My ongoing saga of trying to get the ultimate shopping bicycle ...

It turns out Australia Post bicycles are made by Southcott Cycle
Division South Australia, *but* they only sell to post offices - I just
spent some time on the phone to some bloke with them, no website that I
could easily find ... but their ph no. is (03) 9558 5449 and I said "I
want one", he said "we only sell to post offices". And around we went
a couple of times, but a brick wall.

I wonder why that would be? Any theories? They just said "no" over &
over and would give me no explanation as to why. It must be possible
to get one if I can get past the lackey and talk to someone with some
authority though ... I don't want to have to steal one from aussie
post!

Keep us "posted"... *groan*

I want one too!

Tam
Old May 4th 06, 04:43 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Bleve wrote:

I wonder why that would be? Any theories? They just said "no" over &
over and would give me no explanation as to why. It must be possible
to get one if I can get past the lackey and talk to someone with some
authority though ... I don't want to have to steal one from aussie
post!

Could be a case of being put into the too hard basket. Don't have a
process for selling to the public, don't think it's worth the hassle for
just one sale. You could write snail mail to the "Sales Manager" and beg
him to accept your money. You could mention that others here are
interested...

--
..dt
Old May 4th 06, 04:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Mate,

I had a mate who worked for Southcott's and another who's job it was to
re-enforce the headtubes.They were also manufacturing/badging bikes
under the name Pro-Tour (i think Pete might have even sold some
12spd/105 level racers) for a while.

BUT the postie bikes were specially made for Aust Post, and only
ordered what they needed. So either watch out for Aust Post
sales/auctions or......

If you saw the re-enforcing jobs, you might think twice about riding
one. Re-enforcing good - so many holes (esp along the toptube and down
tube) BAD.

But with such a large re-enforcing gusset on each side - who knows

ray

Old May 4th 06, 04:59 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Tamyka Bell Wrote:

Keep us "posted"... *groan*

I want one too!

Me too. Seen one or two around in circulation. Unfortunately being
ridden by people who clearly didn't know what they were
riding...grrrrrrr

--
cfsmtb

Old May 4th 06, 05:02 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-05-04, Bleve (aka Bruce)

My ongoing saga of trying to get the ultimate shopping bicycle ...

It turns out Australia Post bicycles are made by Southcott Cycle

Anyone got a picture of one of these? My google-images foo, combined
with a very lossy interweb today, is consipiring to not allow me to
find these.

--
TimC
It typically takes 25-30 gallons of petrol/diesel to fully-consume an
Old May 4th 06, 05:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Bleve wrote:

I wonder why that would be? Any theories?

When you sell to people, each and every sales requires handling
enqiries, quoting, education/the sell, sale transaction, distribution,
warranty service, etc, etc. This means the cost of sale can vary widely.

All that without dealing with the usual customisation" requests.

When they sell to AusPost, they only had to do this once. So much
easier. So less costly, So more efficent. OInly the one paint job. They
probably have a standing order. They can probably take their time. They
can organise their holidays when they want to, etc, etc, etc.

Perhaps you could enquire as to what AusPost does with their old bicycles?

Old May 4th 06, 05:43 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Bleve Wrote:
My ongoing saga of trying to get the ultimate shopping bicycle ...

It turns out Australia Post bicycles are made by Southcott Cycle
Division South Australia, *but* they only sell to post offices - I just
spent some time on the phone to some bloke with them, no website that I
could easily find ... but their ph no. is (03) 9558 5449 and I said "I
want one", he said "we only sell to post offices". And around we went
a couple of times, but a brick wall.

I wonder why that would be? Any theories? They just said "no" over &
over and would give me no explanation as to why. It must be possible
to get one if I can get past the lackey and talk to someone with some
authority though ... I don't want to have to steal one from aussie
post!

What about making a friend at your local post office? If they are able
to order these bikes, and won't be disadvantaged in the transaction (a
few $$ might help), then they may just help you out. Anyone around here
know a postie or Auspost employee?

--
roshea

Old May 4th 06, 07:02 AM posted to aus.bicycle

roshea wrote:
Bleve Wrote:
[...]

That was my "steal" reference from my OP. My (deceased) former
housemate was a postie, and getting a bike would have been trivially
easy (albeit somewhat dodgey, let's just say the aussie post is a bit
lax in the assets registry department and let sleeping dogs lie).

That's my last resort, basically. I don't want a 2nd hand one, I know
what posties are like with equipment!

Old May 4th 06, 08:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle

TimC wrote:

Anyone got a picture of one of these? My google-images foo, combined
with a very lossy interweb today, is consipiring to not allow me to
find these.

Best I can do on short notice Tim

http://static.flickr.com/28/62933277_702a52c9b1_m.jpg

Pete.B