Traffic Jams don't apply to pushbikes do they

Old June 14th 06, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Traffic Jams don't apply to pushbikes do they

Only this week it was pointed out to me by a moped driver how bad my
cycling was.

Well is it or am I a typical cyclist?

This happened along the A41 Finchley Road southbound in the morning
rush-hour. Now cyclists have a bus-lane but unfortunately it is often
obstructed by buses - why on earth do they allow those horrible big
things to use them?

So there I was, weaving in and out to pass them whatever way I can -
use the central hatched-area if necessary, use a pavement if necessary.
Central hatching makes an excellent cycle lane as it's generally
unoccupied until you get to a pinch point (one of those keep-left
bollards in the road which for bikes apply only if there's actually
room to squeeze through).

Yesterday morning: A10 Southbound, Tottenham. Now it was only a faulty
sign that they omitted cycle use in the bus-lane contraflow, surely.
Approaching the end, 3 buses and no room to squeeze a bike through so
through a little divide in the road to the empty on-coming lane and
back across again at the light to be at the front of the queue...

Then yesterday evening was heading North up the A10 - tremendous
traffic queues all the way between (and including) the two one-way
systems (Stoke Newington and Tottenham). Solid traffic, in fact. So
once again, pass them whatever way I can. Again did a lot of passing in
hatched areas and at pinch points often took the wrong side when there
was no room on the left side.

If you want a campaign about "give cyclists room", how about in traffic
jams?

Old June 14th 06, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Earl Purple wrote:
Only this week it was pointed out to me by a moped driver how bad my
cycling was.

Good

Well is it or am I a typical cyclist?

Sadly both

Now cyclists have a bus-lane but unfortunately it is often
obstructed by buses - why on earth do they allow those horrible big
things to use them?

So there I was, weaving in and out to pass them whatever way I can -
use the central hatched-area if necessary, use a pavement if necessary.

No, you can filter through traffic, you can use a hatched area with
broken lines assuming it's safe to do so. You can't use a hatched area
bordered by solid lines, you can't use the pavement. If a bus has just
overtaken you and is now blocking your path, you can (as I did this
evening), stop, wheel your bike past the bus, put your bike back on the
road, and set off up to the red light (stopping before the white line
if the light is on red)

Central hatching makes an excellent cycle lane as it's generally
unoccupied until you get to a pinch point (one of those keep-left
bollards in the road which for bikes apply only if there's actually
room to squeeze through).

As long as it is safe, and the border is broken, then yes. If there is
no room to pass then you have to wait, or find another way arround, or
get off and walk.

Yesterday morning: A10 Southbound, Tottenham. Now it was only a faulty
sign that they omitted cycle use in the bus-lane contraflow, surely.

I don't know the road in general, there's an unusual road in W14
though, it claims no entry to all vehicles, however there is a
contra-flow cycle lane.

Approaching the end, 3 buses and no room to squeeze a bike through so
through a little divide in the road to the empty on-coming lane and
back across again at the light to be at the front of the queue...

I assume you got off your bike and pushed, I don't think jaywalking is
a crime in the UK so that would be legal.

Then yesterday evening was heading North up the A10 - tremendous
traffic queues all the way between (and including) the two one-way
systems (Stoke Newington and Tottenham). Solid traffic, in fact. So
once again, pass them whatever way I can. Again did a lot of passing in
hatched areas and at pinch points often took the wrong side when there
was no room on the left side.

Again, as long as you didn't break the law you're fine.

If you want a campaign about "give cyclists room", how about in traffic
jams?

I agree it is annoying when a bus or (usually council) van overtake you
then stop within 50 yards, blocking an easy route.

Remember though, bikes do cause congestion. Imagine a full bus with 100
people on, get rid of the bus and replace with 100 bikes, and you have
a lot more hastle. Some cyclists are just pig ignorant, and attempt to
force other cyclists off the road or cycle lane. You see it along hyde
park in the morning, and hyde park corner is simply crazy (doesn't help
that you have to go through 4 changes of lights to get through -- stay
on the road and you'll be faster.

Old June 14th 06, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Paul Weaver wrote:
Earl Purple wrote:
Only this week it was pointed out to me by a moped driver how bad my
cycling was.
Well is it or am I a typical cyclist?

Sadly both

So there I was, weaving in and out to pass them whatever way I can -
use the central hatched-area if necessary, use a pavement if necessary.

No, you can filter through traffic, you can use a hatched area with
broken lines assuming it's safe to do so. You can't use a hatched area
bordered by solid lines, you can't use the pavement. If a bus has just
overtaken you and is now blocking your path, you can (as I did this
evening), stop, wheel your bike past the bus, put your bike back on the
road, and set off up to the red light (stopping before the white line
if the light is on red)

And when filtering, to be safe you have to go a lot slower than usual.
You're usually in the door-opening zone, and if the motorists can move
they can change lane.

So to answer the subject line, traffic jams do affect cyclists, but
you should still get through faster than anything else.

Yesterday morning: A10 Southbound, Tottenham. Now it was only a faulty
sign that they omitted cycle use in the bus-lane contraflow, surely.

I should complain about this to the council. Ask what the traffic
order actually says.

I don't know the road in general, there's an unusual road in W14
though, it claims no entry to all vehicles, however there is a
contra-flow cycle lane.

Huh? where? There should be a separate entry lane for cycles bypassing
the no entry sign.

Approaching the end, 3 buses and no room to squeeze a bike through so
through a little divide in the road to the empty on-coming lane and
back across again at the light to be at the front of the queue...

Not sure if this is legal or not. A contraflow lane near me is often
blocked by parked lorries. I'm sure buses wouldn't sit there and wait
for them to move, and nor would I.

It is legal to have contraflow cycling without a lane, so it should be
legal to leave a contraflow lane if you need to.

I assume you got off your bike and pushed, I don't think jaywalking is
a crime in the UK so that would be legal.

Remember though, bikes do cause congestion. Imagine a full bus with 100
people on, get rid of the bus and replace with 100 bikes, and you have
a lot more hastle. Some cyclists are just pig ignorant, and attempt to
force other cyclists off the road or cycle lane. You see it along hyde
park in the morning, and hyde park corner is simply crazy (doesn't help
that you have to go through 4 changes of lights to get through -- stay
on the road and you'll be faster.

This used to be true, but I'm not sure it is now. they seem to have
changed the phasing (assuming you mean the route through the arch).

Colin McKenzie

--
On average in Britain, you're more likely to get a head injury walking
a mile than cycling it.

Old June 14th 06, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Paul Weaver wrote:
No, you can filter through traffic, you can use a hatched area with
broken lines assuming it's safe to do so. You can't use a hatched area
bordered by solid lines, you can't use the pavement. If a bus has just
overtaken you and is now blocking your path, you can (as I did this
evening), stop, wheel your bike past the bus, put your bike back on the
road, and set off up to the red light (stopping before the white line
if the light is on red)

Firstly I always take an advanced position, regardless of where the
white line is. In my opinion it is much safer as you are far more
visible is you are in front of the traffic than to the side of some if
it (blind area).

One policeman who posts at a site said it is reasonable for cyclists to
do that and they wouldn't be prosecuted for taking an advanced position
just in front of the traffic even if it is beyond the white line (as
long as they are not interfering with pedestrians).

By the way, I think the Tottenham High Road contraflow is controlled by
TFL as it's on a primary route.

Approaching the end, 3 buses and no room to squeeze a bike through so
through a little divide in the road to the empty on-coming lane and
back across again at the light to be at the front of the queue...

I assume you got off your bike and pushed, I don't think jaywalking is
a crime in the UK so that would be legal.

Now if there is a solid line then presumably that means you can't cross
it. But if there is only a broken line then for contra-flow traffic it
is a 2-way road like any other and you can use the opposite carriageway
as long as it's clear.

I think there was a barrier with a gap. Remove the barrier and replace
it with a cycle lane!.

Remember though, bikes do cause congestion. Imagine a full bus with 100
people on, get rid of the bus and replace with 100 bikes, and you have
a lot more hastle.

Yes maybe but (1) most buses are not full and (2) the cyclists wouldn't
be stopping and forming a blockage every couple of 100 yards, Those who
had finished their journey would pull over and dismount without causing
much congestion to others.

You see it along hyde
park in the morning, and hyde park corner is simply crazy (doesn't help
that you have to go through 4 changes of lights to get through -- stay
on the road and you'll be faster.

I haven't cycled through Hyde Park for a couple of years now. Park Lane
might be a better idea for Southbound traffic on many occasions - you
do get to use the bus-lane. You can also take a run through Mayfair
avoiding all the traffic that don't want to pay the charge.

Northbound I would probably use Hyde Park or aim to get onto Park
Street.

Old June 15th 06, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

In article .com, Earl
Purple ) wrote:

So there I was, weaving in and out to pass them whatever way I can -
use the central hatched-area if necessary, use a pavement if necessary.
Central hatching makes an excellent cycle lane as it's generally
unoccupied until you get to a pinch point (one of those keep-left
bollards in the road which for bikes apply only if there's actually
room to squeeze through).

The cross-hatching stuff tends to get /very/ full of crap and as such is
a favourite lurking spot of the P+nct+r+ Fairy.

Then yesterday evening was heading North up the A10 - tremendous
traffic queues all the way between (and including) the two one-way
systems (Stoke Newington and Tottenham). Solid traffic, in fact.

That's because, believe it or not, there are temporary traffic lights at
the crossroads outside Blackhorse Road station.

Badger Badger Badger Badger Badger Badger Badger Badger Badger Badger
Badger Badger Badger Badger Badger Badger Badger Badger Badger Badger
Old June 15th 06, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

This behaviour is very unfair of you. Do your realise how much time,
money and effort individuals and the state has put into creating these
traffic jams? I think the least you can do is take part, join the back
of the queue and inch forward, inhaling noxious and suffocating gases,
like everyone else.

Some people spend maybe a third of ther annual income to run a car, and
the state has contributed a significant amount to those running costs,
and further more, people have got up early and driven long distances to
take part in these events. How would you feel if you are sitting there
is your £60,000 BMW and some greebo on a pushbike just breezes on
past? It kind of makes it all pointless, doesn't it?

Old June 18th 06, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Earl Purple" writes:

Yesterday morning: A10 Southbound, Tottenham. Now it was only a
faulty sign that they omitted cycle use in the bus-lane contraflow,
surely.

Possibly not, assuming you're describing the bit I'm thinking of (the
bit south of the stone monument that looks a bit like a small Eleanor
cross). IMO (and only having used that section of road northbound,
I'm open to being convinced otherwise) it is too narrow to make for
harmonious dual use by bicycles and busses. I don't think it would be
possible to overtake anywhere along that contra-flow without using the
lane for oncoming traffic. Busses would not be able to overtake slow
bicycles and bicycles would not be able to overtake slow busses.

If you want a campaign about "give cyclists room", how about in
traffic jams?

I often approach slow moving traffic in the process of forming a
traffic jam where motorists in the centre of their lane swerve to one
side at the last second before coming to a stop. I can't imagine what
they are trying to achieve other than attempting to block narrow
traffic on one side of the lane or give more room on the other side.
All they manage to accomplish is to have narrow traffic weave around
them. Perhaps your campaign could concentrate on getting them to all
swerve in the same direction?

--
Mark
Old June 19th 06, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Mark Williams ] writed in
:

Possibly not, assuming you're describing the bit I'm thinking of (the
bit south of the stone monument that looks a bit like a small Eleanor
cross). IMO (and only having used that section of road northbound,
I'm open to being convinced otherwise) it is too narrow to make for
harmonious dual use by bicycles and busses. I don't think it would be
possible to overtake anywhere along that contra-flow without using the
lane for oncoming traffic. Busses would not be able to overtake slow
bicycles and bicycles would not be able to overtake slow busses.

It is an Eleanor Cross.
The lane was put there in the early / mid 1970s (when I was a lad living
there), and was AFAIR the first contra-flow bus lane in the UK, it was
certainly opened with a bit of a fanfare. There was a lot of huffing and
puffing about ambulances getting to & from The Prince of Wales Hospital
(now closed - so it's no longer a problem - sorted)
In the olden days, no-one gave a stuff about cyclists - well, even less
than they do today!

Mike - Leicester

Road or Sidewalk? K-Man General 74 June 19th 04 12:26 AM
Hasty generalizations of the day Kerry Nikolaisen General 16 October 6th 03 12:39 PM
Riding facing traffic Bruce G Patrick General 4 August 12th 03 08:11 AM