Stolen recumbent racer

Old September 30th 06, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Carol Hague

Default Stolen recumbent racer

Just got back from today's BHPC race at Reading, where we learned that
last night some swine broke into the car wherein were stowed, ready for
departure, all the BHPC timing equipment (stopwatches, clock, bell etc)
and a Cobra lowracer bike. They took everything except the bloody start
and finish flags :-(

The Cobra is quite a distinctive bike. I'm not positive it's the only
one in the country, but it's basically a dedicated race bike, so if
there is another one I'd've expected to see it at BHPC races.....

So if anyone offers you one of these :-
http://www.cobrabikes.net/en-GB/Layout001.aspx?PID=39

it's probably nicked, especially if you're in the Nottingham/Derby area.

Likewise beware offers of cheap stopwatches....

--
Carol
"I can't stress this enough. Edible ball bearings. Masterpiece."
Old October 1st 06, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , Carol Hague
') wrote:

Just got back from today's BHPC race at Reading, where we learned that
last night some swine broke into the car wherein were stowed, ready for
departure, all the BHPC timing equipment (stopwatches, clock, bell etc)
and a Cobra lowracer bike. They took everything except the bloody start
and finish flags :-(

The Cobra is quite a distinctive bike. I'm not positive it's the only
one in the country, but it's basically a dedicated race bike, so if
there is another one I'd've expected to see it at BHPC races.....

So if anyone offers you one of these :-
http://www.cobrabikes.net/en-GB/Layout001.aspx?PID=39

Very sorry to hear about the theft. That's one seriously nice bike! And, as
you say, exceedingly distinctive - not easy to sell, I would imagine.
Watch eBay for a few weeks.

When not held in the hand, where does one stow the bidon?

Do not sail on uphill water.
- Bill Lee
Old October 1st 06, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Carol Hague

Simon Brooke wrote:

in message , Carol Hague
') wrote:

Just got back from today's BHPC race at Reading, where we learned that
last night some swine broke into the car wherein were stowed, ready for
departure, all the BHPC timing equipment (stopwatches, clock, bell etc)
and a Cobra lowracer bike. They took everything except the bloody start
and finish flags :-(

Oh, and they also nicked the remaining stock of BHPC t-shirts :-(

The Cobra is quite a distinctive bike. I'm not positive it's the only
one in the country, but it's basically a dedicated race bike, so if
there is another one I'd've expected to see it at BHPC races.....

Andrew has now confirmed his was the only one in the UK.

So if anyone offers you one of these :-
http://www.cobrabikes.net/en-GB/Layout001.aspx?PID=39

Very sorry to hear about the theft. That's one seriously nice bike! And, as
you say, exceedingly distinctive - not easy to sell, I would imagine.
Watch eBay for a few weeks.

I think most of the BHPC membership will be keeping an eye on that.

Of course this assumes the thieves knew what they were doing and weren't
just opportunists out for anything they could get their sticky paws on
to flog for a few quid :-(

When not held in the hand, where does one stow the bidon?

I think there was a bottle cage attached to the back of the seat on the
purloined one, but Andrew, the owner, had made several modifications to
it, so I don't know if that's a feature of the bike or something he
did...

Old October 1st 06, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark McNeill

Response to Carol Hague:
Of course this assumes the thieves knew what they were doing and weren't
just opportunists out for anything they could get their sticky paws on
to flog for a few quid :-(

I'd bet that the thieves *didn't* know what they were doing.

Optimistic: they might try to flog the bike to a bike shop or via Ebay,
which is moderately dumb, or abandon it where someone'll find it.

Pessimistic: discovering that it's a funny bike which they can't shift
easily, they'll dump it where nobody'll find it.

I once had a 10x8-inch folding field camera nicked (it was in a bog-
standard camera case, so looked like it could have been an ordinary
camera). I rang round *all* the camera shops in the vicinity and asked
them to keep an eye out for it; a shop rang back within a day, saying
that somebody had brought it in for valuation, and I got it back
undamaged. So (if you haven't already) try ringing all the bike shops
in the area.

--
Mark, UK
"Education is the path from cocky ignorance to miserable uncertainty."
Old October 1st 06, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Carol Hague

Mark McNeill wrote:

So (if you haven't already) try ringing all the bike shops
in the area.

Thanks for that - I'll pass it on to Andrew, whose bike it is.

Old October 1st 06, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

Carol Hague wrote:

Just got back from today's BHPC race at Reading, where we learned that
last night some swine broke into the car wherein were stowed, ready for
departure, all the BHPC timing equipment (stopwatches, clock, bell etc)
and a Cobra lowracer bike. They took everything except the bloody start
and finish flags :-(

Hmmm. Let me see. You have a valuable piece of kit and several fairly
valuable bits of kit. Where do you store them overnight?

The answer is /not/ in the back of a car.

Do not cast your pearls before swine.
Old October 2nd 06, 06:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Carol Hague

Phil Cook wrote:

Carol Hague wrote:

Just got back from today's BHPC race at Reading, where we learned that
last night some swine broke into the car wherein were stowed, ready for
departure, all the BHPC timing equipment (stopwatches, clock, bell etc)
and a Cobra lowracer bike. They took everything except the bloody start
and finish flags :-(

Hmmm. Let me see. You have a valuable piece of kit and several fairly
valuable bits of kit. Where do you store them overnight?

The answer is /not/ in the back of a car.

You have a race the next day and a three hour drive to get there....

Not to mention that it probably never occurred to the people involved
that the kit in question would be seen as desirable by thieves - it's
not exactly the sort of stuff that the man in the pub is going to be
keen for after all.

Yes, the stuff might have been safer in the house. Stealing is still
wrong.

I rather thought we were against victim blaming hereabouts.....

Old October 2nd 06, 07:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

Carol Hague wrote on 02/10/2006 06:42 +0100:

Not to mention that it probably never occurred to the people involved
that the kit in question would be seen as desirable by thieves - it's
not exactly the sort of stuff that the man in the pub is going to be
keen for after all.

You'd be amazed at what they think they can sell. I have seen the
insides of computer projectors taken away when they have been unable to
get the locked down case free. The case has been smashed open and the
insides gone but the projection lens, control buttons and stuff left
behind. What use is that down the pub?

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci

Help recovering stolen recumbent trike. Wirral John UK 8 June 2nd 04 12:12 AM
My experience with Racer Sportif foggy General 6 December 28th 03 01:19 AM
STOLEN: Steel racer, purple, Campag Vento rims AndyT UK 8 October 3rd 03 06:50 PM
ok, hands up jim beam Techniques 58 September 13th 03 03:00 PM
Prone Recumbent? dfwx Recumbent Biking 16 June 30th 03 04:30 AM