herniated tyre/inner tube protruding

Old October 21st 06, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Maurice Wibblington

Default herniated tyre/inner tube protruding

bit of newbie advice required - I've had my racer for 4 weeks and I
notice that there's a bulge on the side of the front tyre near the
wheel rim, about 7mm across, where the inner tube is bulging and
peeking out slightly through a small hole in the tyre.

Is this likely to be a regular occurrence? And should I be getting a
new tube and tyre post-haste, or is it something that can be lived
with for a while? The bike is due to go back to the shop I bought it
from, who do a free 4 weeks after purchase checkup/tune.

Old October 21st 06, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article
Maurice Wibblington pimple@arse/met wrote:
bit of newbie advice required - I've had my racer for 4 weeks and I
notice that there's a bulge on the side of the front tyre near the
wheel rim, about 7mm across, where the inner tube is bulging and
peeking out slightly through a small hole in the tyre.

Is this likely to be a regular occurrence? And should I be getting a
new tube and tyre post-haste, or is it something that can be lived
with for a while? The bike is due to go back to the shop I bought it
from, who do a free 4 weeks after purchase checkup/tune.

It's most likely been caused by the brake block rubbing against the tyre
sidewall. It should never happen if the brake is properly adjusted. It
could be extremely dangerous. Take it back to the shop, and if they
don't do a quick free repair complain loudly.
Old October 21st 06, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

Rob Morley wrote:

In article
Maurice Wibblington pimple@arse/met wrote:
bit of newbie advice required - I've had my racer for 4 weeks and I
notice that there's a bulge on the side of the front tyre near the
wheel rim, about 7mm across, where the inner tube is bulging and
peeking out slightly through a small hole in the tyre.

Is this likely to be a regular occurrence? And should I be getting a
new tube and tyre post-haste, or is it something that can be lived
with for a while? The bike is due to go back to the shop I bought it
from, who do a free 4 weeks after purchase checkup/tune.

It's most likely been caused by the brake block rubbing against the tyre
sidewall.

Or there is a fault with the tyre.

It could be extremely dangerous.

It IS extremely dangerous given that the inner should be holding about
100psi - depending on the tyres - if you don't have them that hard you
may get the tyre bottoming out on potholes, another possible surce of
your tyre problem.

Take it back to the shop, and if they
don't do a quick free repair complain loudly.

It needs a new tyre not a repair. If it doesn't go bang in the
meantime you can re-use the inner.

If you /have/ to ride the bike to your local bike shop (LBS) reduce
pressure and ride carefully.
Old October 21st 06, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

Phil Cook wrote on 21/10/2006 12:19 +0100:

It IS extremely dangerous given that the inner should be holding about
100psi - depending on the tyres - if you don't have them that hard you
may get the tyre bottoming out on potholes, another possible surce of
your tyre problem.

I would question the "extremely dangerous" bit. I had a front tyre fail
like that on a tandem going downhill on a fireroad at some speed.
Stopping was interesting but not unduly difficult. The bang though as
the herniated tube burst was impressive. That was a tyre related
problem but as someone else said, brake blocks rubbing the sidewall are
the usual cause.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old October 21st 06, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

Tony Raven wrote:

Phil Cook wrote on 21/10/2006 12:19 +0100:

It IS extremely dangerous given that the inner should be holding about
100psi - depending on the tyres - if you don't have them that hard you
may get the tyre bottoming out on potholes, another possible surce of
your tyre problem.

I would question the "extremely dangerous" bit. I had a front tyre fail
like that on a tandem going downhill on a fireroad at some speed.
Stopping was interesting but not unduly difficult.

Would you like to try it again on a tarmac road? Sudden deflation of a
tyre on a road bike (racer) is no fun for the rider, especially when
it involves a bend and a hawthorn hedge. :-(
Old October 21st 06, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

Tony Raven wrote:

I would question the "extremely dangerous" bit. I had a front tyre
fail like that on a tandem going downhill on a fireroad at some speed.
Stopping was interesting but not unduly difficult. The bang though as
the herniated tube burst was impressive. That was a tyre related
problem but as someone else said, brake blocks rubbing the sidewall
are the usual cause.

It would be extremely dangerous if it blew out on a bend at high speed, but
of course the chances of that happening are slim, and if you'd have to be a
nutter to ride fast at all with a tyre in this condition once you knew about
it.

Still, Maurice, change the tyre ASAP. The inner tube won't need changing
but have a close look at it to see if it could do with a patch.

~PB

Old October 21st 06, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Maurice Wibblington

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 11:07:13 +0100, Rob Morley
wrote:

It's most likely been caused by the brake block rubbing against the tyre
sidewall. It should never happen if the brake is properly adjusted. It
could be extremely dangerous. Take it back to the shop, and if they
don't do a quick free repair complain loudly.

I've had a look, and the brakeblocks are well away from the tyre, so I
don't think it's that. I do recall a couple of week backs having the
front wheel go down a narrow crack which was running parallel to the
side of the road. It probably took some damage on the side of the
typre as it went in (and out) of the crack.

It was the kind of crack my MTB wouldn't have noticed, and was a bumpy
introduction to just how much more care is needed on narrow tyres!

Old October 21st 06, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , Maurice
Wibblington ('pimple@arse/met') wrote:

bit of newbie advice required - I've had my racer for 4 weeks and I
notice that there's a bulge on the side of the front tyre near the
wheel rim, about 7mm across, where the inner tube is bulging and
peeking out slightly through a small hole in the tyre.

Is this likely to be a regular occurrence?

Sounds like your brake is misadjusted - that's the only thing likely to put
a hole in a nearly-new tyres.

And should I be getting a
new tube and tyre post-haste,

Yes.

or is it something that can be lived
with for a while? The bike is due to go back to the shop I bought it
from, who do a free 4 weeks after purchase checkup/tune.

If the brake is misadjusted - that is, if the brake pad, when you brake,
touches the tyre rather than just the metal part of the rim - and it came
from the shop that way (i.e. you haven't messed with it) they should pay
for the new tyre.

:: Wisdom is better than weapons of war ::
:: Ecclesiastes 9:18 ::
Old October 21st 06, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marz

Maurice Wibblington wrote:
bit of newbie advice required - I've had my racer for 4 weeks and I
notice that there's a bulge on the side of the front tyre near the
wheel rim, about 7mm across, where the inner tube is bulging and
peeking out slightly through a small hole in the tyre.

Is this likely to be a regular occurrence? And should I be getting a
new tube and tyre post-haste, or is it something that can be lived
with for a while? The bike is due to go back to the shop I bought it
from, who do a free 4 weeks after purchase checkup/tune.

Get it into the shop asap, if it's a faulty tyre they owe you a new
one, if it's due to someone not installing the brakes correctly then
you need a new tyre and a new bike shop.

Of course you may have caught the tyre on something and there's a
chance it may be a accident.

Laters,

Marz

Old October 21st 06, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Sat, 21 Oct, Maurice Wibblington pimple@arse/met wrote:

bit of newbie advice required - I've had my racer for 4 weeks and I
notice that there's a bulge on the side of the front tyre near the
wheel rim, about 7mm across, where the inner tube is bulging and
peeking out slightly through a small hole in the tyre.

I had that once. I noticed it one day, decided it would last to the
weekend. The next day there was a bang in the car-park (audible in
the second floor of the adjacent building, where I was), and when I
went to leave in the evening the tube had blown out through the hole.

Fix it ASAP is my advice.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig