Clicking/popping noise from rear hub area?

Old November 21st 05, 05:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Clicking/popping noise from rear hub area?

I have a 1999-ish Cannondale Raven, and lately it's started making a
very regular clicking/popping noise from around the cassette/rear
hub/rear deraillheur area. It does it once every pedal revolution (In
any gear), only when I'm pedalling, and only when I'm seated. The LBS
had a look over it, but couldn't fix it. The chain doesn't seem to
have any stiff links. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Ben

Old November 21st 05, 06:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"BC" wrote: (clip) It does it once every pedal revolution (In any gear),
(clip) Any thoughts? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think the source of the sound is fooling you. The synchronism with the
pedaling rhythm rules out the chain and the rear cogs. "Seated only"
suggests pedalling stress on the frame--look for a crack.

Old November 21st 05, 08:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"BC" wrote: (clip) It does it once every pedal revolution (In any
gear), (clip) Any thoughts? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think the source of the sound is fooling you. The synchronism with
the pedaling rhythm rules out the chain and the rear cogs. "Seated
only" suggests pedalling stress on the frame--look for a crack.

A decent shop (per the OP) /should/ have found a crack, if present. My vote
goes to seat post and/or saddle rails.

Bill "my mountain bike saddle was creaking yesterday but the damn 'death
squeal' of Crossmax rear hub (POS) drowned it out" S.

Old November 21st 05, 11:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Tighten seatpost,crank,chainrings and check pedals.

Old November 21st 05, 01:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

snip complaint of click/pop while seated

Did your lbs:

1. remove your seatpost, clean the post and inside of seat tube,
re-grease, insert?

2. take your seat out of the post clamp, clean and lube the clamp
screw(s), and lube the rails?

D'ohBoy

Old November 21st 05, 02:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"BC" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 1999-ish Cannondale Raven, and lately it's started making a
very regular clicking/popping noise from around the cassette/rear
hub/rear deraillheur area. It does it once every pedal revolution (In
any gear), only when I'm pedalling, and only when I'm seated. The LBS
had a look over it, but couldn't fix it. The chain doesn't seem to
have any stiff links. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Ben

your rear hub bearings are being pressed in by the cone which has tightened.
You probably don't have much grease left in there either. And if you look at
the bearings; I'm sorry to say, but they will be pitted and need to be
replaced.

Laz

Old November 21st 05, 05:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Bill Sornson" wrote: A decent shop (per the OP) /should/ have found a
crack, if present. My vote goes to seat post and/or saddle rails.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You are right--a good mechanic would have kept looking until he found the
problem. So we have to conclude that they didn't do a really thorough job.
So, now I say, look for a crack, AND do what Bill suggested.

Old November 21st 05, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

BC wrote:
I have a 1999-ish Cannondale Raven, and lately it's started making a
very regular clicking/popping noise from around the cassette/rear
hub/rear deraillheur area. It does it once every pedal revolution (In
any gear), only when I'm pedalling, and only when I'm seated.

The fact that this only occurs when seated tends to implicate the
saddle or seatpost. I would regrease the seatpost (assuming it's not
carbon) and look for any fasteners to tighten on the saddle and clamp.

A loose chainring bolt can be another source of regular clicking in
phase with the pedals. You will need a special tool (or your LBS) to
tighten these.

Old November 26th 05, 10:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Le 20 Nov 2005 21:10:03 -0800, "BC" a écrit :

I have a 1999-ish Cannondale Raven, and lately it's started making a
very regular clicking/popping noise from around the cassette/rear
hub/rear deraillheur area. It does it once every pedal revolution (In
any gear), only when I'm pedalling, and only when I'm seated. The LBS
had a look over it, but couldn't fix it. The chain doesn't seem to
have any stiff links. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Hi

I had exactly the same noise on my 1998 Raven and it disappeared
when I changed the bottom bracket.

So in fact it may just have been the BB becoming slightly loose.
Also the noise used to appear only during warm weather ...

So I suggest you have your BB tightness checked.

Philippe
Old November 27th 05, 02:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ben C Shaw writes:

I have a 1999-ish Cannondale Raven, and lately it's started making a
very regular clicking/popping noise from around the cassette/rear
hub/rear derailleur area. It does it once every pedal revolution
(In any gear), only when I'm pedaling, and only when I'm seated.
The LBS had a look over it, but couldn't fix it. The chain doesn't
seem to have any stiff links.

Clicking and popping from a ball bearing is nearly always rust.
Surprisingly even though the rust has been pulverized so that the
bearing balls are coated in an oily reddish paste/oil they still click
and pop. Just the same, in places like wheel bearings, where this
occurs more often, the symptoms are the same.

If this is the case with your BB, then clean the parts and don't worry
about the bronze discoloration of the balls and races. Just clean
them and look for pits, if any. In the absence of pits, reassemble
with wheel bearing auto grease that works well and costs about 1/20th
what bicycle specific greases in tiny containers and flashy names do.

Jobst Brandt