Truvativ Rouleur BB/Crank installation question

Old November 21st 05, 05:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Truvativ Rouleur BB/Crank installation question

Does anyone know if it is necessary to install the clear plastic shell
assembly that connects between the two bottom bracket cups? The manual
shows it being installed, but when I do it rubs against the screw used
to hold the bottom bracket guide to the bottom of the frame. I'm just
wondering if it serves any purpose.

Thanks,

KJ

Old November 23rd 05, 07:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

kj wrote:
Does anyone know if it is necessary to install the clear plastic shell
assembly that connects between the two bottom bracket cups? The manual
shows it being installed, but when I do it rubs against the screw used
to hold the bottom bracket guide to the bottom of the frame. I'm just
wondering if it serves any purpose.

Thanks,

KJ

The BB will work without the plastic sleeve, but it serves a useful
purpose: it helps seal the bearings. I'd want the sleeve installed if
it were my bike.

I'd consider shortening the screw used to hold the bottom bracket cable
guide to the bottom of the frame, or just install a washer (or presta
valve nut) under the head to keep the end out of the way so you can
install the bottom bracket sleeve.

Old November 24th 05, 03:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

kj wrote:
Does anyone know if it is necessary to install the clear plastic shell
assembly that connects between the two bottom bracket cups? The manual
shows it being installed, but when I do it rubs against the screw used
to hold the bottom bracket guide to the bottom of the frame. I'm just
wondering if it serves any purpose.

Thanks,

KJ

Put a wee washer onto the screw that holds the BB guide in the shell.
KEEP the plastic sleeve.