Why do headsets phase me so?

Old November 23rd 05, 05:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Why do spelling errors faze me so?

PJay wrote:
I'm moving on slowly and surely learning bike maintenance but seem to have
developed a bit of a block around adjusting aheadsets!

I think it stems (excuse the pun) from keenly fitting a stem some years ago,
riding to the bike shop and being told that there was some movement in the
headset. Somewhere along the line I also picked up the knowledge that a
loose headset can result in an ovalised headtube.

I've since adjusted my headset and got an 'OK' from the LBS so I know that I
can do it but still feel really unsure of myself and keep imagining that I'm
going to ovalise the headtube.

I've done a lot of maintenance tasks, including BBs and reckon that, if I
can get my headset phobia sorted, I'm pretty close to being able to build up
my own bike (headset pressing aside).

Any confidence building tips out there? Once no play is detectable at the
lower race is the pre-load sufficient (I have the tendancy to err on the
side of overtightening and be a bit heavy handed)? Also, how easy is it to
ovalise a headtube, would a small amount of slack do it or would it have to
be blindingly (and un-rideably) obvious that the headset was loose before
damage would be done!

I feel a bit of a numpty posting this but I thought I'd ask :-) (don't know
the smiley for embarassed!).

Cheers,
PJay

Are you in the early phase of being fazed, or are you nearing the 'over
it' phase?

Old November 23rd 05, 06:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Why do headsets phase me so?

On 22 Nov 2005 16:01:15 -0800, "Vee" wrote:

Ovalizing a headtube requires considerable neglect, or exceptionally
hard use, or both. Unless there's an interface problem between your
current headset and frame, you don't have to worry about it.

Only time I've had it happen was with a JIS/ISO mismatch between the
headset and frame (on a secondhand bike). The cups and the fork cone
weren't so much pressfit as held in place by the threaded upper race.

Jasper
Old November 23rd 05, 06:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 23 Nov 2005 04:59:51 -0800, "Vee" wrote:

Are you simply saying that the act of adjustment cannot damage the head
tube, or are you also saying that riding with a loose headset won't
hurt the frame? You can't ovalize your head tube by over-tightening
the top-cap, of course. But am I wrong in thinking that riding with a
loose headset allows the fork to bang around enough that the fork race
and lower headset cup will eventually loosen?

Nope. When you're actually on the bike, half of your weight is pressing
down on the lower bearing, which means it's not loose, pretty much by
definition. The race that becomes loose is the top one, which mainly deals
with a force at the rear of the race that keeps the fork from tilting
backward. It's certainly possible to damage the bearing that way, but
you're not gonna fret away the pressfit of the cup and the headtube.

There are some issues with integrated headsets, though, because the
bearings sit loosely in the headtube, rather than pressfit, so it's
possible to erode the bearing seat there. Then there's undersized headset
cups (like everything else, they come in more than one size), which can
definitely cause ovalization on both ends.

Jasper

Old November 23rd 05, 09:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"PJay" wrote: Probably middling, but hopefully approaching the less fazed
phase! :-)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Okay, as long as you're not being two-phased.

Old November 24th 05, 04:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

: Are you in the early phase of being fazed, or are you nearing the 'over
: it' phase?

This reminds me of people writing that they "tow the line" or have music
"touch a cord" or try to "loose some weight"...so many of those common
idioms that people miss by a mile.

Pat in TX

Old November 24th 05, 04:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Pat" wrote: (clip)..so many of those common idioms that people miss by a
mile.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You sleigh me, Pat.

Old November 24th 05, 04:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Pat wrote:
Are you in the early phase of being fazed, or are you nearing the
'over it' phase?

This reminds me of people writing that they "tow the line" or have
music "touch a cord" or try to "loose some weight"...so many of those
common idioms that people miss by a mile.

Not to be picky, but I don't think all three of those examples fit. "Loose
some weight" is just misspelling "lose" (surprisingly common for some
reason). "Tow the line" and "touch (strike?) a cord" reveal a more profound
carelessness (to be charitable).

The OP's faux pas (foe pa?) probably falls somewhere in-between.

Bill "slow night" S.

Old November 24th 05, 06:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Eye dew know no, whine dew speling arrows phase ewe sew?

WTB: 5-10 new 1" threaded road headsets Frank Marketplace 1 October 19th 05 07:01 PM
Logo-less King Headsets! Llatikcuf Techniques 51 August 8th 05 05:16 PM
Integrated headsets Tom Sherman Recumbent Biking 0 February 26th 05 12:34 AM
Headsets NickZX6R Australia 1 November 1st 04 12:56 AM
handlebar height n crowley General 35 April 19th 04 07:12 PM