Who makes Scott carbon frames?

Old November 23rd 05, 06:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Who makes Scott carbon frames?

My friend recently bought a Scott CR-1 Pro frameset for an excellent
price of $1200. He's a pro-union guy and wants to know whether the mfr
of Scott carbon frames in Taiwan is "unionized"? Anyone know who makes
Scott carbon frames and whether the shop is union? Thanks!

Old November 23rd 05, 06:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"bfd" wrote:

My friend recently bought a Scott CR-1 Pro frameset for an excellent
price of $1200. He's a pro-union guy and wants to know whether the mfr
of Scott carbon frames in Taiwan is "unionized"? Anyone know who makes
Scott carbon frames and whether the shop is union? Thanks!

Since it's after the fact, I'd just give him the following
answer--which may or may not have absolutely any relationship to the
truth:

Not only is the Taiwanese Mei-Peng-Wan factory unionized, but they
spend in excess of 12% of annual payroll on worker health care
benefits, offer industry-leading child care facilities, meet or exceed
all occupational safety and health regulations, and are rated by
CorporateWatch.org as one of the paragons of manufacturing excellence
vis-a-vis employee relations.

....since he already bought the bike .....

I actually have no idea. ;-)
--
Live simply so that others may simply live
Old November 23rd 05, 07:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

bfd wrote:
My friend recently bought a Scott CR-1 Pro frameset for an excellent
price of $1200. He's a pro-union guy and wants to know whether the mfr
of Scott carbon frames in Taiwan is "unionized"? Anyone know who makes
Scott carbon frames and whether the shop is union? Thanks!

Nice frame! I heard thay are made in China by Ten Tech (sp?). No idea
if they are a union shop or not. ;-)

Old November 23rd 05, 07:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Come on, I need some real data as to at least who makes the frame. It
would be "classic" if it was a low-wage paying plant that worked its
workers 12 hours per day at $2.00 an hour.....

Old November 23rd 05, 11:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"bfd" wrote:

Come on, I need some real data as to at least who makes the frame. It
would be "classic" if it was a low-wage paying plant that worked its
workers 12 hours per day at $2.00 an hour.....

Aw, dude. Yer killin' me.

I can get you a *bit* closer to the real answer...

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?p=318928
--
Live simply so that others may simply live
Old November 23rd 05, 11:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Neil Brooks wrote:
"bfd" wrote:

Come on, I need some real data as to at least who makes the frame. It
would be "classic" if it was a low-wage paying plant that worked its
workers 12 hours per day at $2.00 an hour.....

Aw, dude. Yer killin' me.

I can get you a *bit* closer to the real answer...

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?p=318928
--
Live simply so that others may simply live

Some months ago I was curious about the Fuji Pro full carbon frame and
was trying to find out what "c7" carbon was. Did a google search and
found a link to a manufacturer in Taiwan (can't remember the name and
don't care enough to look for it again) that would, for large enough
orders, build carbon bikes for anyone, using the various carbon tubes
and "joining techniques". They had some 'stock' frames, too. It's
freaking scary how similar so many of the various hi$$$ carbon frames
are. Anyone who wants to buy 50 frames can have his own 'custom
design' bikes and can make whatever claims they want about all the R&D
work they did, how their's is different/lighter/better than the
competition's, etc.

It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to compare a Fuji Pro and a Scott CR1
and conclude they sure as hell at least look alike. I'd even be
willing to venture that if you had 'em side by side w/out decals or
other markings, most folks couldn't tell 'em apart after test rides.

Sure can tell the difference in price, though.

Old November 24th 05, 04:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

China? Unions? Hah, that's a funny one!!

Old November 24th 05, 05:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 23 Nov 2005 11:27:44 -0800, "bfd" wrote:

Come on, I need some real data as to at least who makes the frame. It
would be "classic" if it was a low-wage paying plant that worked its
workers 12 hours per day at $2.00 an hour.....

$2 an hour is pretty generous. More like $1, probably.

Jasper
Old November 24th 05, 07:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Eagle Jackson wrote:
China? Unions? Hah, that's a funny one!!

There is nothing funny about that one at all:
http://yaleglobal.yale.edu/display.article?id=4920

Granted the unions in China are nothing akin to what we traditionally
would think are unions, but still....

It takes a Communist nation to bust Wal-mart. The irony of it all.....