Goodbye

Old April 26th 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Sornson

Default Goodbye

Pat wrote:
What is the Left so afraid of? Why does it want to SILENCE opposing
opinions? ("The debate is over." "There is Consensus." Its talking
heads name-call all the time, but let someone on the Right answer in
kind and it's "hate speech" and the "politics of personal
destruction". Hypocrisy is what it is.) Instead of debating issues,
the left goes personal almost immediately; then it has a conniption
fit if someone calls it.
BS

Oh, Bill, please! Today I was listening to Mark Davis calling Pat
Tillman's family "despicable" because they disagree with Pres. Bush.
He was calling for radio stations and television stations not to give
them any air time because of their political views. Then, I turned
to another station and there was Bill O'Reilly claiming that Rosie
O'Donnell and anyone who agreed with her did not deserve a voice on
the airways!
And you sit there and write that "the Left" is doing this! There is
plenty hypocrisy to go around, Bill. You've just proved it!

I was referring to mainstream discourse; never heard of Mark Davis. (And
the last time I heard Bill O'Reilly talk about Rosie he was /defending/ her
right to free (even if disgraceful) speech.)

Why on earth would you listen to people you dislike, anyway?

On a smaller scale, just read Mark's thread on Floyd to see the latest .rec
example.

Old April 26th 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Sornson

Pat wrote:
[...]

PS: You not only deleted the context of the above (Tomlinson's comment that
he'd refrain from attacking Mark as long as Mark stayed out of political
threads -- hence my question what are "they" afraid of), you also deleted
ALL attributions.

FWIW

Old April 26th 07, 12:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat[_3_]

"Mark Hickey" --I don't always agree with your political views, but I have
found you to be rational and reasonable and willing to listen to differing
opinions. You have never been spiteful and hateful. I will miss your
posts.

Pat in TX

Old April 26th 07, 12:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Sornson

Antti Salonen wrote:

The Usenet is dying simply because it isn't moderated.

I'm confused about something. Rec.Bicycles.Offroad completely DIED because
it was moderated -- I thought to keep Vandedrivel {tm} out? Weirdly enough,
spam got thru fairly regularly, but on-topic posts took forever to show
up...

How is it he (MV) doesn't post in these two rec groups? Is their some
"master filter" that blocks his stuff?

Maybe I'll go look for an ALT cycling group besides AM-B...

Old April 26th 07, 12:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
_[_2_]

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 16:04:25 -0700, Bill Sornson wrote:

David L. Johnson wrote:
Bill Sornson wrote:

I hope you'll reconsider at some point. I don't agree with your
politics, but I think you've been a voice of reason on matters of
bicycle technology, which this list is purportedly about. The reign
of the yippy dogs seems once step closer with your departure.

Please watch your attributions; I did not write the above.

Of course you didn't - it's obvious from the number of quote characters
that preceed the quoted part.
Old April 26th 07, 12:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
di

"John Forrest Tomlinson" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 18:40:28 -0400, "David L. Johnson"
wrote:

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 06:33:12 -0700, Mark Hickey
wrote:

JT's pernicious accusations are just the latest in a long series, but
they're the ones that opened my eyes to the reality that this is no
longer any fun, and there are many better ways I can spend my time. I
have a very full life, a wonderful family (including four new
granddaughters). I can ride my bike more.

You're a coward. All you have to do is not talk about politics and I
wont bring up your more disgusting political views. Or even killfile
me.

Actually you've been a coward and a bully (threatening to sue me for
libel!).

Well, you just made Mark's point.

It's not just Mark's point -- it's mine as well. I'm harsh.That pales
in significance to promoting torture and supporting the current
attacks on the rule of the law in the US.

I can't have a "civil"discussion about these things. So if Mark can't
deal, he shouldn't start. He shouldn't have started with me.

--
JT

Careful, you may break your arm trying to pat yourself on the back.
Backoff, you're not the hot **** you think you are, nor as informed you
would like to us to think you are.

Old April 26th 07, 12:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Jay[_2_]

"Mark Hickey" wrote in message
I had an epiphany. (snip)

I dunno Mark,

People who are thoughtful and considerate enough to post a Usenet newsgroup
goodbye msg, don't stay gone. They might lurk for awhile, and then gradually
come back to post. I think helping people is in their genes - J.

Old April 26th 07, 12:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
AndyMorris

Have fun, get some miles in.

I was always fascinated how someone who talked such sense about bikes, could
seem so wacko about politics. Which was kind of fun and thought provoking.

Take care.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Old April 26th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Jay[_2_]

"Antti Salonen" wrote in message
In rec.bicycles.misc David L. Johnson wrote:

Hell, we all know that usenet is dead anyway, and we are just sifting
through the ashes. Between the "forums" diverting a lot of more
specialized discussions and energy, and "angry young men" determined to
turn any topic into their particular soapbox, the signal/noise level is
not looking good.

Indeed. The Usenet is dying simply because it isn't moderated. I guess
it worked better 10 to 15 years ago when the standard of Internet users
was higher, but now most newsgroups are playgrounds of small number of
anti-social idiots who successfully drive everybody else to moderated
web forums and mailing lists.

Antti

Au contraire, IMHO unmoderated Usenet is not dying. It has always appealed
to a select audience. Some people just love the thought of their opinion
being broadcast to Usenet users around the world, WITHOUT a moderator. It is
text-based, no frills, no fancy graphics. Just a free exchange of ideas,
with no one telling them what they can or cannot say. Classic - J.

Goodbye LMO Recumbent Biking 7 January 17th 07 10:49 AM
Goodbye TdF on OLN wimpyVO2 Racing 32 July 14th 06 03:37 AM
RR. Goodbye old friend freightgod Mountain Biking 3 October 24th 05 01:45 AM
goodbye small change Mountain Biking 8 May 25th 05 05:45 PM
Goodbye thinuniking Unicycling 2 March 3rd 04 07:42 PM