Rebuilt Coker Wheelset vs. Airfoil Wheelset

Old April 23rd 04, 01:35 AM
oxfordrider

Default Rebuilt Coker Wheelset vs. Airfoil Wheelset

I am considering building my own coker is the coker airfoil wheelset at
$209 on Unicycle.Com. abetter value than the rebuilt coker wheelset at
$149. My primary use will be streets and paved bike trails. I guess my
question is the airfoil wheelset overkill or well worth the extra $60.
Additionally, I saw a thread in here that someones Dad did custom coker
frames but I can't locate it. Thanks.

--
oxfordrider
oxfordrider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5600

Old April 23rd 04, 01:57 AM
Sofa

I've taken my stock one through a bunch of stuff.

The airfoil wasn't an option then.

Only $60 more? I'd take it.

If strength isn't your concern, I'd take it just for the rust protection
of aluminum over steel.

However, if you only get the stock one...you'll like it just fine

--
Sofa - you - pee - dee

'Mommy!!! He's on a..........thing!!!!!........Wheel!!!!!!!!!!'
- Some kid

'Unicycle Product Reviews' (http://tinyurl.com/368h6) *107* reviews on
*72* products

'London Unicycling Club Website ' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/)
version 3.02

Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

Old April 23rd 04, 02:46 AM
john_childs

The Airfoil isn't overkill at all. It makes for a better and stronger
wheel. The wheel is the most important part of a unicycle. A better
wheel makes for a better riding unicycle.

If you can handle the extra cost of the Airfoil you won't regret the
upgrade.

Both the standard Coker wheelset and the Airfoil wheelset at
Unicycle.com say they say they are built with a Suzue hub. A Coker
really needs a wider hub than the Suzue. Go for the widest hub you can
get. Get either the Semcycle hub, Schwinn hub, or the Chromoly
Unicycle.com hub. The wider hub makes a big difference in the strength
and stiffness of the wheel. I don't know why Unicycle.com is using the
Suzue hub. There are better (wider) hubs in the same price point
available now. Maybe it's just old text copy in the catalog and they're
now using wider hubs for their Coker wheelsets.

A Schwinn hub or Unicycle.com hub with an Airfoil rim would make for a
very nice Coker wheel. It will be a very noticeable improvement over
the stock Coker wheel.

The ultimate is a custom wide hub like what UTurn uses for building his
strongest Coker wheel in the world. The custom widened hub makes a big
difference especially if you're using a brake. With the widened hub the
wheel has less flex and will not rub on the brake pads. With skinnier
hubs you can have problems with the rim rubbing the brake pads when you
climb hills or do other hard pedaling. But a wheel with a custom
widened hub gets to be quite expensive. A wheel made with a Schwinn hub
or Unicycle.com Chromoly hub will still make for a good wheel for much
less money.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Old April 23rd 04, 03:48 AM
Max_Dingemans

For me, I'v ridden several cokers for semi extended periods of time, and
have never had any trouble with suzue hub based wheels with the airfoil
rim. They never flex noticeably to me while riding, and I'm not exactly
light. I wieght 220, and sometimes angle in at... I donno, maybe 70º? at
ten or 14 mph, no flex noticeable. However, if you dont mind the extra
money on top of it, and really want to make sure you're coker wheel can
handle a 7 foot drop, that's certainly fine.

Also, on the subjext of custom frames... That was probably me/my dad.
Awhile ago I think I mentioned it. Yeah, I cant find it either.
Currently, 160 Plus shipping. Made for a standard 22.2 seatpost, also
includes brake bosses for V-brakes. These examples we're taken awhile
ago, but the basic design remains the same.

| Attachment filename: 120-2017_img.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/205268|

Max_Dingemans - Hey Look, who's that?

BLAH!
Max_Dingemans's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1981

Old April 23rd 04, 04:49 AM
john_childs

Max_Dingemans wrote:
*For me, I'v ridden several cokers for semi extended periods of time,
and have never had any trouble with suzue hub based wheels with the
airfoil rim. They never flex noticeably to me while riding, and I'm
not exactly light. I wieght 220, and sometimes angle in at... I donno,
maybe 70º? at ten or 14 mph, no flex noticeable. However, if you dont
mind the extra money on top of it, and really want to make sure you're
coker wheel can handle a 7 foot drop, that's certainly fine. *

Irene has a Coker with an Airfoil rim, Suzue hub and a Wyganowski frame.
She has problems with the wheel flexing and rubbing the brake pads when
she climbs. She often rides with the brake cable disconnected just so
the brakes don't rub.

I had a little bit of brake rubbing on my wide hub Coker, but a trip to
the wheel builder for another round of tensioning fixed that. Now I
have no brake rubbing at all. It takes a lot of tension to eliminate
brake rubbing even with the w-i-d-e hub. My wheel was built by a local
wheel builder and not by UTurn.

Suzue hubs work, and they were the standard a few years ago. But wider
hubs make for a stronger wheel so it just makes sense to use a wider hub
when getting an Airfoil wheel built now. Even something just slightly
wider than the Suzue is better.

Old April 23rd 04, 03:54 PM
Max_Dingemans

It could have been the frame, Wygonowski frames build with miyata
bearing holders tend to have issues with flex. Or, that's my
experience. It's less of an issue of 20" uni's.

Old April 23rd 04, 06:36 PM
hopeful

not to jack the thread or anything, but max, how is that one coker with
radial spokes? I was going to build my 700c with radial, but got talked
out of it, and used a 3x instead.

--
hopeful - revelling in the glory of 700c

a sawzall...!? why not just use an axe. -- Jagur

Long live the Lotus -- Mojoe
hopeful's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4470

Old April 23rd 04, 07:12 PM
Max_Dingemans

One, No, the bird is fine. the bumper of the handle hits first, by
far.

Two, The radial spokes suck. big time. It flexes, winds up, doesnt stay
true, and I'd imagive that spokes break. Just not worth the effort.

And I forgot to mention, my airfoil wheels were built with Tom Miller 14
gauge stainless spokes. That could make a difference.

Old April 24th 04, 02:30 AM
unisk8r

Tommy's 14g coker spokes (in 3 or 4 cross) are great!
As are his wide hubs. Too bad some retailer doesn't contract with him
to make wide hubs...

--
unisk8r - All this for just cross-training?
unisk8r's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4660

Putting a Coker tire on the Airfoil rim john_childs Unicycling 20 January 21st 06 07:57 PM
Coker Mini-Tour nathan Unicycling 13 April 21st 04 07:38 PM
Coker enthusiasts describe your seat Memphis Mud Unicycling 16 February 19th 04 11:09 PM
What makes a $400 wheelset a $400 wheelset? NLee1875 Techniques 22 December 31st 03 11:37 PM
Coker and Flywheel effect Klaas Bil Unicycling 53 October 31st 03 11:40 PM