Method for finding a creak

Old June 5th 11, 11:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Method for finding a creak

On Jun 5, 11:04*pm, James wrote:
Coolmaine wrote:
On Jun 5, 7:54 am, James wrote:

The past week has been beautiful. *Cool nights, down to zero C, and
blue sky during the day. *Next week looks to be a bad one for riding
bike. *Rain, showers, thunder storms, hail, snow on the nearby hills,
etc. *Ugh.

Hell, yes, I remember the changeability of Melbourne weather, the
least attractive element of one of the truly great cities of the
world. Brilliant sunshine in Collins St but by the time I arrived home
at St Vincent Place in Albert Park snow was falling heavily. And that
was the late spring. We used to call it Red Robbo Weather, for the
beau ideal of the pommie wreckers who were the bane of management at
the time. -- Andre Jute

I rode very close to St Vincents Place in Albert Park on Monday evening.

Rode out on North Rd, through to Marine Pde and Beaconsfield Pde, along
the beach there and then right on Kerford Rd and past Albert Park Lake
where they have the Grand Prix, across to St Kilda Rd, and on to
Dandenong Rd to take me back East.

--
JS.

Stop, you're making me homesick!
Old June 6th 11, 12:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Jun 5, 12:57*pm, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
On 6/5/2011 1:55 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:

On Jun 5, 4:37 am, T m Sherm n _ ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" *wrote:
On 6/5/2011 1:54 AM, James wrote:

On Jun 4, 7:50 am, * wrote:

It turned out not to be the Brooks B73, though some it's nuts had come
loose.

The cool weather prevents such things, here, at the moment.

The past week has been beautiful. Cool nights, down to zero C, and
blue sky during the day. Next week looks to be a bad one for riding
bike. Rain, showers, thunder storms, hail, snow on the nearby hills,
etc. Ugh.

Sounds like you need a locally made velomobile for weather protection.

Meanwhile, here in the land of rain, it was 80 degrees yesterday under
blue skies. *The 30 degree temperature swing wiped me out. *I didn't
have a lot of time to ride because I had to do an outdoor concert and
a parade, but just a 30-35 mile ride felt like twice that. It's nice
again today, but we're going to get thunder showers-- you can just

Better thunderstorms than slow rain all day long.

feel it. *My legs are sore from marching through Portland, and I had

You need to ride on Chalo's band platform trike instead of marching.

to do a bunch of yard work, but its off for a ride on the horsey bike!

Good to see you have learned the proper terminology.

My clicking horsey bike, but I know exactly what causes the click --
the rear axle/dropout face.

Is the axle moving relative to the frame?

I would assume so, but there is no apparent drop out damage. Aluminum
drop outs on an older Cannondale.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 6th 11, 01:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

$southslope.net" wrote:
On 6/5/2011 1:55 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:

My clicking horsey bike, but I know exactly what causes the click --
the rear axle/dropout face.

Is the axle moving relative to the frame?

I would assume so, but there is no apparent drop out damage. Aluminum
drop outs on an older Cannondale.

Is it a cup and cone style hub bearing, as opposed to a cartridge
bearing assy?

A friend has similar problems on a Fulcrum wheel that has cones, and
doing the QR up very tight seems to help.

But I wonder, after your observance that the drop outs are not
apparently damaged, whether there is something going on further inside
the hub, like balls clicking over a ridge in the cup or cone? Or balls
not spaced evenly then shifting and clicking together?

QR tightness affects bearing adjustment, so I wonder if this has
something to do with the clicking noise.

Cheers,
James.
Old June 6th 11, 01:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

On 6/5/2011 6:35 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Jun 5, 12:57�pm, T�m Sherm�n� �_�""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
On 6/5/2011 1:55 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:

My clicking horsey bike, but I know exactly what causes the click --
the rear axle/dropout face.

Is the axle moving relative to the frame?

I would assume so, but there is no apparent drop out damage. Aluminum
drop outs on an older Cannondale.

Per the experiences reported by J. Brandt, I would be concerned about
eventual frame failure if this is the case.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old June 6th 11, 02:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

$southslope.net" *wrote:
On 6/5/2011 1:55 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:

My clicking horsey bike, but I know exactly what causes the click --
the rear axle/dropout face.

Is the axle moving relative to the frame?

I would assume so, but there is no apparent drop out damage. *Aluminum
drop outs on an older Cannondale.

Per the experiences reported by J. Brandt, I would be concerned about
eventual frame failure if this is the case.

Jobst never owned anything other than a Campagnolo drop out, probably
a 1010 on his latest bike -- or some of his personally designed
vertical drop outs. His failures had to do with alignment problems,
IIRC. A little lube solves the problem for me, and I could probably
crank down the QR and sand the inside of the drop out. I'll do that
one of these rainy days. I treated it today and had no ticking,
creaking, etc., except in my knees. Out hehttp://www.flickr.com/
photos/pseudomally/154578815/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pellucidity/3834773437/

Just on the other side of suburbia, away from the cars and
velomobiles.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 6th 11, 03:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

$southslope.net" wrote:
[...]

That country's the majority of my commute. Move out there and you can
ride it every day (twice). Where I ride there are a plethora of route
options - lots of hills. During one BCC, I took a particular route
because it was 33 miles. At the end I was pretty shot and only got
2nd anyway. Later on I realized that I'd been riding over the highest
point in the area every day going both ways.
Old June 8th 11, 05:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

$southslope.net" *wrote:
On 6/5/2011 1:55 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:

My clicking horsey bike, but I know exactly what causes the click --
the rear axle/dropout face.

Is the axle moving relative to the frame?

I would assume so, but there is no apparent drop out damage. *Aluminum
drop outs on an older Cannondale.

Per the experiences reported by J. Brandt, I would be concerned about
eventual frame failure if this is the case.

Yes he was quite adamant that he would not tighten a QR skewer but
preferred to choose to add the "faulty design" moniker and continue
with a bodged job by using vertical dropouts, which will also dropout
due to inadequate tensioning of the QR skewer, given enough time.
Old June 8th 11, 05:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

$southslope.net" *wrote:
On 6/5/2011 1:55 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:

My clicking horsey bike, but I know exactly what causes the click --
the rear axle/dropout face.

Is the axle moving relative to the frame?

I would assume so, but there is no apparent drop out damage. *Aluminum
drop outs on an older Cannondale.

Per the experiences reported by J. Brandt, I would be concerned about
eventual frame failure if this is the case.

Jobst never owned anything other than a Campagnolo drop out, probably
a 1010 on his latest bike -- or some of his personally designed
vertical drop outs. *His failures had to do with alignment problems,

Well said. Arogance comes top.

IIRC. *A little lube solves the problem for me, *and I could probably
crank down the QR and sand the inside of the drop out. I'll do that
one of these rainy days. *I treated it today and had no ticking,
creaking, etc., except in my knees. Out hehttp://www.flickr.com/
photos/pseudomally/154578815/
*http://www.flickr.com/photos/pellucidity/3834773437/

Just on the other side of suburbia, away from the cars and
velomobiles.

-- Jay Beattie.

CreakCreakCreakCreak Patrick W Techniques 10 November 2nd 05 10:07 PM
Creak as you are spoken to Just zis Guy, you know? UK 12 August 22nd 05 12:37 PM
BB creak Claudius Vitalis Techniques 0 July 13th 05 10:16 PM
qu-ax creak skicker Unicycling 5 March 18th 05 11:38 AM
Creak in new bike Michael Warner Australia 16 March 24th 04 11:13 PM