Seeking light recommendations

Old July 24th 06, 05:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Thornhill

Default Seeking light recommendations

In the evenings after work I bike on a paved jogging/biking trail. I
typically try to time my rides so that I get back home when dusk is
settling in, but sometimes it's fairly dark during the last 10 minutes
of the ride. So I'm seeking a light not so much to illuminate the road
ahead of me, but to give slow moving pedestrians warning that I'm near
them. If anyone has a product they like, please let me know. I'm
looking to spend $25 or less.

Old July 24th 06, 06:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

Thornhill wrote:
In the evenings after work I bike on a paved jogging/biking trail. I
typically try to time my rides so that I get back home when dusk is
settling in, but sometimes it's fairly dark during the last 10 minutes
of the ride. So I'm seeking a light not so much to illuminate the road
ahead of me, but to give slow moving pedestrians warning that I'm near
them. If anyone has a product they like, please let me know. I'm
looking to spend $25 or less.

You just need to get a cheap set of front and rear blinkies. I usually
recommend a set of Cat-eye brand blinkies as I fetishize Cat-eye stuff,
but Nashbar's got their house brand set on sale for $10 for both front
and rear. they're just dandy.

http://tinyurl.com/fowxe

Next time you buy new tires, and only if you're getting something
wider, as this feature isn't available for racing widths AFAIK, grab
some tires with refective sidewalls. They're amazing! First saw them in
Amsterdam during a layover--they're incredibly bright and help cover
the area the where the blinkies are weak.

Old July 24th 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom The Great

On 24 Jul 2006 05:22:46 -0700, wrote:

You could buy a bell for less than most lights.

I find that pedestrians on a trail seem to 'hear' better than they
'see'.

Good point, I've seen joggers that only look down, not straight ahead.
I'm guessing at night, they might do more so.

So how about the baseball card in the spokes trick? Did I bring back
some memories for some?

As for lights for others to see you, you can pick up some cheap light
kit from Walmart. You get what you pay for, but they are cheap.

later,

tom @
www.NoCostAds.com

Lewis.

*****

Thornhill wrote:
In the evenings after work I bike on a paved jogging/biking trail. I
typically try to time my rides so that I get back home when dusk is
settling in, but sometimes it's fairly dark during the last 10 minutes
of the ride. So I'm seeking a light not so much to illuminate the road
ahead of me, but to give slow moving pedestrians warning that I'm near
them. If anyone has a product they like, please let me know. I'm
looking to spend $25 or less.

Light tent recommendations for cycling? Tintin UK 9 May 11th 06 07:39 PM
Relative newcomer to cycling seeking recommendations Some Guy in Jersey General 17 December 2nd 05 06:11 PM
Light review.. David Martin UK 20 October 29th 05 05:39 PM
rear light recommendations please Bryan UK 28 November 9th 03 09:39 PM
Light recommendations? jmk General 35 September 7th 03 05:21 PM