Cycling and vegetarianism

Old September 1st 04, 03:02 AM
Fx199

This was a choice of preference rather than necessity; I believe that
you can get plenty of quality protein for any physical activity if you
eat soy products, dairy products, and eggs.

eggs are vegetarian now???????
Old September 1st 04, 03:11 AM
David Reuteler

Preston Crawford wrote:
thought that sounded like a good idea. Once again, just being pragmatic,
not dogmatic, about this decision. And I think that's what's important. I
still need to lose weight. I need more protein. Nuts are not the answer.
Soy can help, but unless I start eating soy slices (like turkey slices)
that's not really the answer. I don't know.

do you want to be a vegetarian?

if yes, there are ways to get protein. simple one, buy a tub of whey
protein powder. have all the protein you want. eat cottage cheese.
ditto.

if no. eat turkey. eat chicken. eat fish. eat soylent green.
--
david reuteler

Old September 1st 04, 03:13 AM
neil0502

Monty wrote:

I am a 52 year old vegetarian (9 1/2 years) with no ill effects! I ride

lot! 8,350 miles so far this year. I don't eat anything special, I just
eat a LOT
http://nanandmont.com/food_for_a_day.htm
Oh ya, 6'0" 160#

Atta' boy! Are you sponsored by a grocery chain??

How's your arm these days? Looked like a _nasty_ break....

Old September 1st 04, 03:18 AM
David Reuteler

Fx199 wrote:

This was a choice of preference rather than necessity; I believe that
you can get plenty of quality protein for any physical activity if you
eat soy products, dairy products, and eggs.

eggs are vegetarian now???????

umm, yea.

http://www.ivu.org/faq/definitions.html

aka Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian and it's by far the most common type.
--
david reuteler

Old September 1st 04, 04:58 AM
David L. Johnson

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 17:38:34 -0400, Roger Zoul wrote:

Trans-fats are in turkey? Cholesterol in turkey? Gosh.

What's so surprising about that? Of course there is cholesterol in
turkey, along with a lot of fats. I donno specifically about trans-fatty
acids, but I imagine there is some of that, too.

Turkey, that is, farm-raised turkey, is one of the least healthy things
you can eat. Most of those poor birds are juiced up with drugs and
hormones their entire lives. Then the darn meat is also juiced up with
"broth" (so that they sell what is basically water for the same price per
pound as the meat itself), "flavor-enhancing" chemicals, and additional
fat.

If you are going to eat turkey, at least get a free-range bird that is
minimally processed.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | And what if you track down these men and kill them, what if you
_`\(,_ | killed all of us? From every corner of Europe, hundreds,
(_)/ (_) | thousands would rise up to take our places. Even Nazis can't
kill that fast. -- Paul Henreid (Casablanca).

Old September 1st 04, 05:05 AM
Wayne Menzie

Kevan Smith wrote in
:

Well, I am a PETA supporter.

People Eating Tasty Animals?
http://mtd.com/tasty/

You can eat all the nasty meat you want. I'm taking a pass.

I try to avoid the nasty meat and just eat the yummy bits, like the
ribeye.

--
Wayne Menzie
Old September 1st 04, 05:07 AM
David L. Johnson

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 19:54:27 +0000, neil0502 wrote:

In looking at this list of suggested non-animal products (but you should
read up on how cheese is made before you decide that it is cruelty-free),
it's amazing how it hit all my food allergies.

tofu
soy milk

I break out in hives if I eat soy. RPITA

beans

OK, these I can eat. But not if I am going to captain the tandem.

cheese

allergic

nuts

allergic to peanuts

seeds
yogurt

More milk

veggies (like brussel sprouts and potatoes) eggs supplements (bars,
powders)

allergic to eggs.

My list of allergies (wheat, soy, peanuts, milk, eggs) is not uncommon in
the US. Especially soy, since we are so over-exposed to it. I can
tolerate small amounts of milk, eggs, and wheat, but peanuts and soy do me
in. So, I guess I am not a good candidate for a vegetarian diet, which is
OK, since I do like meat.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored
_`\(,_ | by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." --Ralph Waldo
(_)/ (_) | Emerson