Soldering iron to patch tubes?

Old August 18th 04, 07:45 AM
Phil Lee

Default Soldering iron to patch tubes?

The idea is just as it seems... melt the rubber to seal the hole.

Anyone done this before? Success?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old August 18th 04, 05:03 PM
Werehatrack

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 06:45:13 GMT, "Phil Lee"
wrote:

The idea is just as it seems... melt the rubber to seal the hole.

Anyone done this before? Success?

Won't work. If you have a spare tube that you don't want to repair,
try it and see. There are several issues involved, but the bottom
line is that trying to heat-weld a butyl tube using a soldering iron
is not going to produce the required result.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old August 18th 04, 07:43 PM
Sheldon Brown

Hmmm, what kind of flux do you use?

Carapace Completed Umber
Leadville, Colorado
| This message has been sent to you using recycled electrons |
| exclusively. Please do not discard them after use, |
| send them along and help conserve these irreplaceable |
| sub-atomic resources for future generations. |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old August 18th 04, 09:07 PM
Leo Lichtman

"Phil Lee" wrote: (clip) Anyone done this before? Success?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^How many of you are old enough to remember when car tires had
tubes, and "hot patches" were routine? What was the theory there?

Old August 18th 04, 09:18 PM
Weisse Luft

Leo Lichtman Wrote:
"Phil Lee" wrote: (clip) Anyone done this before? Success?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^How many of you are old enough to remember when car tire
had
tubes, and "hot patches" were routine? What was the theory there?

Those are for the old, natural rubber tubes. Today's are syntheti
butyl and work fine with rubber cement

--
Weisse Luft

Old August 18th 04, 09:38 PM
Andrew Webster

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 20:07:12 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"Phil Lee" wrote: (clip) Anyone done this before? Success?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^How many of you are old enough to remember when car tires had
tubes, and "hot patches" were routine? What was the theory there?

Essentially the heat is applied to cure the glue to hold the patch.
This will give maximum strength much more quickly than cold patching
where you might need to wait a day or two for full curing to occur
(hence the oft-quoted recomendation to use a spare tube rather than
re-insert a freshly patched one if you have a puncture).

"Hot patches" are still used for tubeless tyre repairs in automotive
applications, applied to the inside of the tyre rather than the
outside of the tube so they are not as visible.

Andrew Webster

Old August 19th 04, 03:51 AM
Tom Sherman

Sheldon Brown wrote:

Hmmm, what kind of flux do you use?

Carapace Completed Umber
Leadville, Colorado

That is a silly question. Everyone knows inner tubes are TIG welded.

--
Tom Sherman – Earth

Old August 19th 04, 06:03 AM
Leo Lichtman

"Tom Sherman" wrote: That is a silly question. Everyone knows inner tubes
are TIG welded.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Do you have to fill the tube with inert gas?

Old August 19th 04, 02:57 PM
Dave Kahn

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message ...
"Tom Sherman" wrote: That is a silly question. Everyone knows inner tubes
are TIG welded.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Do you have to fill the tube with inert gas?

Unfortunately we're starting with a punctured tube. We have to patch
it conventionally first so it will hold the inert gas.

--
Dave...
Old August 19th 04, 02:59 PM
Dave Kahn

Sheldon Brown wrote in message ...

Hmmm, what kind of flux do you use?

None needed. The soldering iron flux the tube all by itself.

--
Dave...

Patch kits obsolete? Mike Kruger General 27 July 21st 04 08:05 PM
ARRRRRGH Luigi de Guzman General 65 April 30th 04 03:35 AM
ARRRRRGH [email protected] Techniques 8 April 29th 04 11:39 PM