Wheel true or not true?

Old March 24th 05, 11:09 PM
Ken Marcet

Default Wheel true or not true?

Question: If my rear wheel were not "true" could it feel like a rythmic
thump or vibration? I have noticed these feeling since I put this wheel on
my road bike, a few hundred miles ago.

Ken
--
More of my mind dribblings: http://mind-dribble.blogspot.com/
And my homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

Old March 24th 05, 11:16 PM
Bestest Handsander

"Ken Marcet" wrote in message
Question: If my rear wheel were not "true" could it feel like a rythmic
thump or vibration? I have noticed these feeling since I put this wheel on
my road bike, a few hundred miles ago.

Ken
--
More of my mind dribblings: http://mind-dribble.blogspot.com/
And my homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

I would think it more likely that you have a flat spot (as opposed to the
wheel being "out of true" horizontally). Most truing stands have a
gauge/pointer thingy to determine this. If it's bad enough to feel, I would
guess it's bad enough for you tosee it with the tire off and the wheel
spinning.

Old March 25th 05, 12:20 AM
Fritz M

If my rear wheel were not "true" could it feel like a rythmic
thump or vibration?

A regular thump-thump-thump is from a flat spot or bulge in the tire.
An out-of-true wheel wobbles laterally -- spin the wheel and watch the
rim at the brake pads.

RFM

Old March 25th 05, 01:00 AM
Kenneth

On 24 Mar 2005 16:20:33 -0800, "Fritz M"
wrote:

If my rear wheel were not "true" could it feel like a rythmic
thump or vibration?

A regular thump-thump-thump is from a flat spot or bulge in the tire.
An out-of-true wheel wobbles laterally -- spin the wheel and watch the
rim at the brake pads.

RFM

Howdy,

A wheel that is not round, it also "out of true."

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Old March 25th 05, 01:29 AM
Werehatrack

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 18:09:09 -0500, "Ken Marcet"
may have said:

Question: If my rear wheel were not "true" could it feel like a rythmic
thump or vibration? I have noticed these feeling since I put this wheel on
my road bike, a few hundred miles ago.

Yes, but if it's that bad, you can spot the condition readily by
lifting the bike and spinning the wheel. In doing so, you may see
that the cause is something else.

The eyes are a much more precise diagnostic tool than the posterior in
most cases.

Old March 25th 05, 12:26 PM
Peter Cole

Ken Marcet wrote:
Question: If my rear wheel were not "true" could it feel like a

rythmic
thump or vibration? I have noticed these feeling since I put this

wheel on
my road bike, a few hundred miles ago.

With the wheel off the ground (hang bike with rope. etc.), spin the
wheel and sight along rim and brake pad to see if the wheel is out of
true in the vertical plane. Make sure the tire is mounted evenly.
Wiggle the wheel to detect any bearing play.

Old March 26th 05, 06:25 PM
Ken Marcet

may have said:

Question: If my rear wheel were not "true" could it feel like a rythmic
thump or vibration? I have noticed these feeling since I put this wheel

on
my road bike, a few hundred miles ago.

Yes, but if it's that bad, you can spot the condition readily by
lifting the bike and spinning the wheel. In doing so, you may see
that the cause is something else.

Well i did that and it was pretty apparent that it was out of true, I worked
the spokes a bit with it still mounted on the bike and it "looks" alot
better, I need to ride it to see or feel if it still has the thump.

Old March 26th 05, 06:26 PM
Ken Marcet

"Peter Cole" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ken Marcet wrote:
Question: If my rear wheel were not "true" could it feel like a

rythmic
thump or vibration? I have noticed these feeling since I put this

wheel on
my road bike, a few hundred miles ago.

With the wheel off the ground (hang bike with rope. etc.), spin the
wheel and sight along rim and brake pad to see if the wheel is out of
true in the vertical plane. Make sure the tire is mounted evenly.
Wiggle the wheel to detect any bearing play.

Yeah I did all that and it was visible, I worked the spokes a bit and it
looks better, still need to test ride it.

Old March 27th 05, 05:09 PM
wle

once i put the tube in some weird way and the valve stem made a huge
bump
in the outside of the tire, though that was probably on an older bike
with schrader valves.

you could not see it on the outside of the tire but it was harder in
that spot and you
would definitely feel it every time the wheel turned.

i think what i did was to get the valve between the wheel and the tire
somehow.

wle.

Old March 27th 05, 06:24 PM
Ken Marcet

"wle" wrote in message
oups.com...
once i put the tube in some weird way and the valve stem made a huge
bump
in the outside of the tire, though that was probably on an older bike
with schrader valves.

you could not see it on the outside of the tire but it was harder in
that spot and you
would definitely feel it every time the wheel turned.

i think what i did was to get the valve between the wheel and the tire
somehow.

wle.

Well this is an old bike w/schraders as well, and after I worked it on the
rim a bit, my eyeballs tell me it is truer, and I notice the thump has
lessened. I am sure the rim is not completely true due to the method I used.
But it is better than it was, and what is left could be in the tire / tube
themselves, or like someone else replied it could be a flat spot on the rim.
I think a new wheel is probably in order.

New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Spoke 'wind-up' question Dan Daniel Techniques 143 September 3rd 04 06:16 PM
Spoke Over-Tension and Drifting Wheel Alignment mCrux Techniques 6 August 25th 04 04:29 PM
Wheelbuilding issues Nate Knutson Techniques 13 May 9th 04 03:29 PM
A physicist's question about tensioning a wheel Sergio SERVADIO Techniques 35 January 5th 04 03:27 PM