Riding around Washington D.C., USA

Old February 26th 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Wheel Rider

Default Riding around Washington D.C., USA

Anybody here from the Washington, D.C. area?

For some time I have been thinking that it would be fun to ride around
Washington DC and do some sightseeing on one wheel. Has anyone tried
that? Would it be safe to bike-lock unicycles outside while you go
inside the museums? Would it be allowed to travel on the Metro with a
unicycle?

--
Wheel Rider

A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame someone else. - Waite Phillips
Wheel Rider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10656

Old February 26th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
onefiftyfour

I'm from Maryland and I think I could answer your questions, although
I've never uni'd in DC. I've biked there.

I'm sure it would be safe to lock your unicycle outside the museums.
It might be better not to have a quickrelease seatpost, but even then,
I wouldn't worry about it.

Not sure about the metro, but I would think it would be fine. A
unicycle is small enough. You probably wouldn't need the metro though
if you want to ride around. Most of the museams are close enough to
each other to ride between.

Wish I could come.
-Eric

--
onefiftyfour

http://www.texasunicycle.com
onefiftyfour's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3495

Old February 26th 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
drebble

I have taken a bike on the metro before so a uni would be no trouble at
all. I want to know how many places we would be allow to ride trials.
Anybody done much riding in DC?

--
drebble
drebble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9763

Old February 26th 07, 08:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

I think I brought a unicycle on the DC metro once also, but this was in
1993. Can't remember if I brought it or not, but I think I did. I
remember our car never moved from the hotel's garage the whole time we
were there.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"pretty much every trail that we've done on the California or Moab Muni
weekends is an XC trail." -- Kris Holm, on XC from a North Shore point
of view

Old February 26th 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
maximus unius

I live outside of DC, and I have ridden there before.

I can tell you that guards are very very very strict, and if they see
you riding anywhere besides sidewalks they will kick you off.

--
maximus unius
maximus unius's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13699

Old February 27th 07, 12:05 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
siafirede

That is my stomping ground. I did many many training rides from my
house in Fairfax to D.C. Some days after work I would get on my coker
and follow the W&OD trail into DC to the monuments, watch the sunset by
the Lincoln memorial, and then take the metro back to my house. I had
no problems bringing my coker onto the metro during rush hour.

You should be fine locking it up near museums and monuments since that
area is the really nice area of D.C. I will be back in that area
shortly, so if you knew a date I could try to plan a ride that would
encompass parts of the w&od bike trail, Georgetown, C&O canal, the
national mall, museums/monuments. It would be for anyone interested of
course and would be best suited for a 29er or a coker.

--
siafirede

James = my name
'This' (http://www.myspace.com/clawsout) = my myspace

I will be zig zagging through New Zealand late Jan-March. PM me if you
want to meet up or can offer me a free couch! After Feb. 6th I will be
going solo from Christchurch to the NI, so any company will be
appreciated.
siafirede's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6057

Old February 27th 07, 02:06 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hell-on-wheel

James - Organize it and I'm there!

I also have some experience riding in DC. I've never had problems
bringing my uni on the metro, though once as Wogri and I were leaving
the Vienna metro station on our way home, the guard said bikes were
only allowed between rush hours (I think it was 10 to 4) and that we
shouldn't have been allowed to bring them on. But obviously the guard
that let us on didn't care, so...I don't know.

Anyway, the Mount Vernon trail is fun, it starts 16 miles south of DC
and goes through Alexandria on the way. There's a metro in Alexandria,
so it would be possible to start there, ride the trail 8-10 miles to
DC, and when we're tired out, just take the metro back to our cars in
Alexandria. But that's just an idea.

As far as urban trials, there are public parks where security guards
shouldn't be an issue, but I'm not familar with which ones are
conducive to uni-trials. Old Hell on Wheeler Trip Glazer honed his
skills around the American University campus, and a rock strewn creek
nearby. Here's one of his 'vids' (http://tinyurl.com/2mfppf).

--
hell-on-wheel

"...or the confluence of rare meteorological phenomena."
-George Peck
hell-on-wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3425

Old February 27th 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
maximus unius

siafirede wrote:
That is my stomping ground. I did many many training rides from my
house in Fairfax to D.C. Some days after work I would get on my coker
and follow the W&OD trail into DC to the monuments, watch the sunset by
the Lincoln memorial, and then take the metro back to my house. I had
no problems bringing my coker onto the metro during rush hour.

You should be fine locking it up near museums and monuments since that
area is the really nice area of D.C. I will be back in that area
shortly, so if you knew a date I could try to plan a ride that would
encompass parts of the w&od bike trail, Georgetown, C&O canal, the
national mall, museums/monuments. It would be for anyone interested of
course and would be best suited for a 29er or a coker.

I'd be up for it if I can scrape up some money for a 29er or coker.
I've been planning on it, but I'm a bit short on cash right now...

Old February 27th 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Wheel Rider

Thanks for the information. I am just at the wishful thinking stages. I
think unicycle would be an easy way to get around the Mall and the
usual tourist areas. The Metro is the easiest way to go longer
distances.

--
Wheel Rider

A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame someone else. - Waite Phillips
Wheel Rider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10656

RAW - Ride Across Washington UniTyler Unicycling 12 November 17th 05 08:14 AM
Mt. Washington Results steveyo Unicycling 4 September 7th 05 09:12 PM
Mt. Washington BC nrkist Unicycling 4 August 28th 05 11:21 PM
Looking for riders in Washington kraze Unicycling 12 June 11th 04 05:32 AM
I'm a pedestrian in Washington iunicycle Unicycling 8 November 3rd 03 03:56 AM