Who is stronger

Old July 21st 04, 06:30 AM
Fraser Johnston

Default Who is stronger

"Tamyka Bell" wrote in message
hippy wrote:

"NickZX6R" wrote in message
Bill benson wrote:
Who is the stronger Athlete.
(A) The Marathon Runner
or
(B) The Tour De France Rider

TdF rider of course

Are there any marathons that take 3 weeks?

Well, yeah, all of them actually...

if _i'm_ doing them!! hehehe..

hippy

From http://vek.perlmonk.org/archives/000519.html

NEW YORK, Nov. 2 - Two British adventurers accomplished what seems
impossible. They ran seven marathons in seven days on six continents,
finishing up in New York on Sunday. Sir Ranulph Fiennes and longtime
expedition partner Mike Stroud crossed the New York City Marathon finish
line in 5 hours, 25 minutes, 46 seconds, ending their weeklong journey.

The idea started when Fiennes - who is related to actors Ralph and
Joseph Fiennes (pronounced ?fine?) - called Stroud in January and asked
if he wanted to scale Mount Everest. Stroud, a doctor, said he did not
have time for such a trip because of his schedule. So he proposed
running seven marathons in seven days on seven continents.

end

One of the guys was ****ing blood by the end. They would have done 7
continents except they couldn't get to Antarctica because a huge storm
blew through. They didn't get equal time for recovery because of
flights, etc, it was basically finish, jump on a plane, not the best
recovery.

Tam

(Yeah, I'd love to do this one day)

Now thats hardcore.

Fraser

Old July 21st 04, 06:51 AM
flyingdutch

Tamyka Bell Wrote:[color=blue]
flyingdutch wrote:
whereas a TDF rider doing a marathon would probably get ITB
frictions syndrome and shin splints in a single session - the damage
done during high intensity long duration cycling is less than that
done
by high-intensity long duration running - unless you crash.

but he'd be hanging on to the team car

--
flyingdutch

Old July 21st 04, 08:08 AM
HUMBUG

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:30:01 +0800, Fraser Johnston Wrote :
snip

One of the guys was ****ing blood by the end. They would have done 7
continents except they couldn't get to Antarctica because a huge storm
blew through. They didn't get equal time for recovery because of
flights, etc, it was basically finish, jump on a plane, not the best
recovery.

Tam

(Yeah, I'd love to do this one day)

Now thats hardcore.

Sure is, but Fiennes and Stroud are SERIOUSLY hardcore people. Have a read
of Mind Over Matter - quick review at http://tinyurl.com/5zbyt

--

Humbug
Old July 21st 04, 09:54 AM
blah

"Bill benson" wrote in message ...
I suppose this NG would be bias, but I am try to settle a bet.

Who is the stronger Athlete.
(A) The Marathon Runner
or
(B) The Tour De France Rider

Read in a book "Run Like You Stole Something", by some guys who have a
sports science radio show on Triple R in Melbourne (ripper of a show;
funny while being very stat and science driven: 9am each Saturady
102.7fm), that TdF riders are pushing the limits of endurance for
_all_species_ (animal kingdom, anyway), at least for those three weeks
in July. I'm sure I'm making a mess of their meticulous reporting of
the study they're quoting (can't find my copy at the mo'), but they
were going into the caloric expenditure over the three weeks, and
comparing it to the boundaries of other species in terms of their
endurance abilities. As I said, TdF riders were pushing these
boundaries, so I figure (and seem to remember) they were saying that
as far as sports go, TdF is the toughest as far as long term
endurance. Read it for yourself if you want to settle a bet (all
referenced).

BUT - they certainly did say that the guys were able to push
themselves so far because of the supported nature of cycling versus
the high impact nature of, say, marathon running which tends to ruin
soft tissues in things like knees.

So.. that's my 2cw (or somebody elses, crappily related to you)
Cheers.
Old July 21st 04, 12:55 PM
Al

blah wrote:
Read in a book "Run Like You Stole Something", by some guys who have a
sports science radio show on Triple R in Melbourne (ripper of a show;
funny while being very stat and science driven: 9am each Saturady
102.7fm),

O/YT a bit but those that want to listen in, 3RRR streams 24/7 on
http://www.rrr.org.au/player/index.html

Rgds
Al.