Dirty Dozen 2018

Old December 2nd 18, 03:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Dirty Dozen 2018

On Saturday, December 1, 2018 at 8:49:43 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Snipped

For me, it depends on the ride. If I'm just doing a normal recreational
day ride, I'm fine with attacking a hill, i.e. going hard to get up it.
But if I'm doing an unusually long ride or doing a multi-day ride, my
priority is to make it easy on myself. I downshift at the first
indication of increased effort.

--
- Frank Krygowski

I used to ride with a friend a lot before I moved away from that city. He used to downshift to his lowest gear at the start of every steep hill. I'd wait for him at the top.

Hereabouts I often see bicyclists walking up a hill. When I ask them if they had a breakdown or flat they reply that the hill is too steep for them to ride. I look at their bicycle and 99% of the time the bike is in the highest gear or at least on the big chainring of a triple. I usually tell them how to use the gears simply = big ring for downhill and tailwinds, middle gear for the flats and the small ring for the hills. BTW, those riders are usually on BSOs.

Cheers
Old December 2nd 18, 04:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Sat, 01 Dec 2018 14:10:02 -0800, jbeattie wrote:

Wasn't Warm Showers part of the Steele Dossier? Totally OT, but I was
riding across southern Illinois and stopped somewhere near Carbondale at
a KOA or some camp-dump that was where we ran out of gas and figured we
would stop. The next morning, we ride maybe two or three miles east,
through a pleasant neighborhood and there is a Grant Wood-esque husband
and wife running a mini-hostel/shower facility for cyclists. He was on
the front lawn when we rode by and corralled us into stopping for a
sweet roll -- or part of one. As I recall, it was the sort of fare you
got in the parish hall after Sunday service. Nice cozy home where we
could have stayed instead of some miserable urban camp site.
Pre-internet, I can only wonder how they informed riders of their
operation. They weren't in our used Bikecentennial tour book.

As I vaguely remeber, "the warm showers" concept(name?) started about the
time BikeCentennial under is original name spring up. It was a printed
list that you could get a copy of by being on the list. We had a similar
list in Australia that followed that model. The Australian version passed
before the internet started due to the cost of printing and sending
copies.

2018 Giro Davey Crockett[_14_] Racing 0 December 29th 17 04:29 AM
McCarty makes it an even dozen for OUCH Presented by Maxxis Chinese Math Racing 0 January 6th 09 07:55 AM
Pittsburgh's Dirty Dozen - Presented by Danny Chew Burt Racing 5 November 30th 07 08:59 AM
YOU TUBE- Bikin' Dirty/ Ridin' Dirty Floyd Landis cat6[_3_] Racing 2 March 1st 07 01:13 PM
BNE: LA(12) The Dirty Dozen Andrew Australia 19 April 21st 06 12:45 PM