UK may consider electric vehicle subsidy to increase cycling

Old October 24th 17, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kerr-Mudd,John[_2_]

Default UK may consider electric vehicle subsidy to increase cycling

Simon Jester wrote in
:

On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 10:42:54 PM UTC+1, James Wilkinson
Sword wrote:
On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 22:22:50 +0100, Simon Jester
wro

te:

On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 7:54:43 PM UTC+1, James Wilkinson
Sword

wrote:
On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 19:47:42 +0100, Simon Jester

wrote:

On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 2:16:56 PM UTC+1, James Wilkinson
Swo

rd wrote:
On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 10:08:14 +0100, Simon Jester

m wrote:

On Friday, October 20, 2017 at 7:38:33 PM UTC+1, James
Wilkinson

Sword wrote:
On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 18:57:23 +0100, Tosspot

om wrote:

On 20/10/17 18:42, Bod wrote:
The UK government could potentially consider providing
subsid

ies for
electric bicycles and electric cars as part of a
concerted po

licy effort
to get more people cycling, the roads minister, Jesse
Norman,

has said.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/.../20/uk-may-con
sid

er-electric-vehicle-subsidy-to-increase-cycling

Not my definition of cycling. Especially because they
seem to

be
encouraging them into cars.

I'm still waiting for a battery that lasts as long as a tank
of

petrol, charges as fast as you can fill a tank of petrol, and
doesn't need replacing every 5 years.

I second this. It takes over an hour to fill the tank of a
Tesla

at one of their supercharging stations, even longer at a standard
service station charger.

What happened to the idea of flow battery cars?

I thought the three phase charging stations were about 20-30
minute

s?

What does 3 phase have to do with charging a DC battery?

Because the larger fuelling stations have 3 phase power supplied
to th

em so have more power to give you I guess.

You guess, or you know.
I have a 40 amp single phase commando socket in my lab to power the
YAG

laser.

I've read it on a site which lists UK charging points for electric
cars.

The faster ones are called three phase.

Either that or your car will accept three phase power and convert
it t

o DC within itself. They all take 13A single phase from a wall
outlet, but I think some have a 3 phase input for fast charging.

They use Lithium Ion right?

Currently, yes. Lithium metal solid electrolyte batteries will
be he

re soon and wont catch fire when punctured in a crash.

Same technology as AA cells. I can charge those in 8 minutes.

The individual cells Tesla use are similar in size to an AA but
I ha

ve never seen a Li AA.

They're called 14500. They're AA size, as opposed to the jumbo AA
siz

e in most cycling lights (18650). The 14 or 18 is the thickness in
mm, the 50 or 65 is the length in mm, not sure what the 0 on the end
is for. Like NiCd and NiMH, they can be charged in under 10 minutes
(especially if they have a cooling fan on them).

AA cells produce 1.5 max, nominal 1.2v ,not 3.6v like the 14500

Yes, but they are AA sized and can be used in place of them (just add
bla

nks to counteract the higher voltage).

So you are saying I can put 2 x 3.6v 14500 cells in my TV remote in
place of the standard 1.5v AA cells?

The problem with NiCd and NiMH is that you have to recharge
individual

cells.

********. Chargers charge anything from 1 to 4 cells in series. And
thi

nk of a PP3 which is 7 1.2V cells - you don't dismantle it to charge
it do you?

If you charge the whole battery a weak cell can undergo reverse
chargin

g and be ruined.

All the cells in an electric car should be identical. Anyway, slower
cha

rging will still reverse charge a weak cell.

You are confusing Li with NiCd.

Mr Sword is always deliberately provocative/wrong. However, if you wish
to discuss electric car technology, maybe the motoring group would be
better.

FU set
Old October 24th 17, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

Default Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL), the Sociopathic Attention Whore

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 16:24:01 -0700 (PDT), Simon Jester wrote:

Why do have a problem with a discussion about electric car technology?

Is it because you are not intelligent enough to follow the discussion?

Why do you keep feeding the filthiest troll and attention whore around, you
senile oaf?

Why are you posting to this group?

Why are you avoiding the issue, oh senile one?
Old October 24th 17, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 00:20:03 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

FLUSH the two idiots' endless sick ****

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) notorious sociopathic
BULL****: