Lorry drivers trained on bikes in bid to cut cycling deaths in London

Old December 23rd 16, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

Default Lorry drivers trained on bikes in bid to cut cycling deaths in London

More than 1,500 lorry and van drivers working in the capital have been
given cycling training as part of a new initiative to help combat deaths
on London roads.

Travis Perkins, the largest builders’ merchant in the UK, has put 1,650
of its drivers through a day of training to give them a perspective of
what it is like as a cyclist in London.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trans...-a3427141.html
Old December 23rd 16, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
RJH[_2_]

On 23/12/2016 09:41, Tony Dragon wrote:
On 23-Dec-16 8:43 AM, Bod wrote:
More than 1,500 lorry and van drivers working in the capital have been
given cycling training as part of a new initiative to help combat deaths
on London roads.

Travis Perkins, the largest builders’ merchant in the UK, has put 1,650
of its drivers through a day of training to give them a perspective of
what it is like as a cyclist in London.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trans...-a3427141.html

Great idea, now lets do it the other way round, cyclists given a truck
drivers POV.

The onlt time I have seen this is outside Waterloo station.
A HGV(LGV) was parked up with a mat surrounding it marking blind spots,
cycles were parked on the blind spots. Cyclists were invited to climb
into the cab to check visibility.
Many were shocked at the results and would probably take more care in
future.

I'd thought it was as simple as 'if you can't see the mirrors or the
driver, they can't see you'?

--
Cheers, Rob
Old December 23rd 16, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

On 23-Dec-16 8:43 AM, Bod wrote:
[...]

It's a bit more than that.
I've seen cyclists cycling up the left of a truck that was broadcasting
"this vehicle is turning left"

---

Old December 23rd 16, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

On 23-Dec-16 8:43 AM, Bod wrote:
[...]

Yes and as a cyclist I have stopped at a side road to let a right
turning van cross in front of me ( I considered it safer to do so) and a
lorry has come from behind me swung around and turned left.

Lorries, particularly tipper truck short wheel base, appear to have a
extraordinary high percentage of dangerous antisocial thugs as drivers.

Old December 23rd 16, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Friday, 23 December 2016 14:22:47 UTC, Tony Dragon wrote:

I've seen cyclists cycling up the left of a truck that was broadcasting
"this vehicle is turning left"

Same here - it was me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5acTuJm58zg
Old December 23rd 16, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 23-Dec-16 8:43 AM, Bod wrote:
[...]

OK, so the driver would have been announcing an intention to turn
sometime in the future. How far away was this future and was the span
unpredictable?
Old December 23rd 16, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

On 23-Dec-16 3:32 PM, Simon Mason wrote:
On Friday, 23 December 2016 14:22:47 UTC, Tony Dragon wrote:

I've seen cyclists cycling up the left of a truck that was broadcasting
"this vehicle is turning left"

Same here - it was me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5acTuJm58zg

Cycling on wrong side of road against oncoming traffic
Cycling on left of left turning vehicle
Cycling over stop line.

---

Old December 23rd 16, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 23-Dec-16 8:43 AM, Bod wrote:
[...]

Does it matter? When the consequence may be death.
Old December 23rd 16, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 08:43:33 +0000, Bod wrote:

More than 1,500 lorry and van drivers working in the capital have been
given cycling training as part of a new initiative to help combat deaths
on London roads.

I hope the next step is to give 1,500 cyclists training on using the roads, and
what traffic lights mean.

Old December 23rd 16, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 07:32:28 -0800 (PST), Simon Mason
wrote:

On Friday, 23 December 2016 14:22:47 UTC, Tony Dragon wrote:

I've seen cyclists cycling up the left of a truck that was broadcasting
"this vehicle is turning left"

Same here - it was me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5acTuJm58zg

Haven't looked at the video - was that the time you tried to top yourself (and
failed)