kona cinder cone v trek 6500 (both 2004 models)

Old August 25th 03, 10:28 AM
pete

Default kona cinder cone v trek 6500 (both 2004 models)

thanks to bomba & barry for your time & advice. much appreciated. regards.
pete

"pete" wrote in message
om...
i'd really appreciate any advice from experienced mtn bikers out there
whether to buy a Kona Cinder Cone or a Trek 6500 (upgrade from 4900
2003 model).

having looked at the info.. the Kona offers better components, the
Trek has a lighter, stronger SLR frame. price is about the same here.

i'll be using for steep mountain roads and tracks; and possible future
use for attaching a trailer or panniers to do a short w-end tour.

looking to buy v.soon and grateful for any help... thanks. Pete

Old August 26th 03, 05:40 AM
Wilf Meier

For what it's worth, last year I faced the same decision and the guy at the
bike shop who sold both lines of bikes also said the Trek frame was better
and that once the components wore out I could upgrade them. I believe the
6500 is discontinued now. It is the same frame used in the 6700. I very
happy with it but I'm not a hard core rider and would have probably been
happy with the Kona as well!

~wilf