ride faster!

Old October 17th 19, 06:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

Default ride faster!

On 16/10/2019 22:20, AMuzi wrote:
https://nypost.com/video/cyclist-t-b...y-to-be-alive/

Had he been just a bit slower, he would have been killed.

That's what you get for riding against the traffic. I know, I've done
it :-(
Old October 17th 19, 07:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, October 17, 2019 at 2:35:16 AM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Wednesday, October 16, 2019 at 4:00:53 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 16 Oct 2019 15:20:40 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

https://nypost.com/video/cyclist-t-b...y-to-be-alive/

Had he been just a bit slower, he would have been killed.

Are you serious? The cyclist rode directly out in front of a moving
truck waving his arm apparently to get the truck to stop.

As I previously wrote, the first safety rule should be "Don't be a
damned fool" which might also be stated as "Don't do damned fool
things".

--
cheers,

John B.

This is America John and as usual you show that you don't grasp the driving laws.

1. He was on the sidewalk AND HAD RIGHT OF WAY OVER ANYONE EXITING A DRIVEWAY. 2. He HAD TO BE APPROACHING when that Truck started to turn out towards the driveway and the trucker missed him completely. What if he were a pedestrian?
3. The Trucker did not stop which is a felony.

All true, but still not smart of the cyclist. It doesn't help your wife/family when you can put "I had the right of way" on your tombstone.

Lou
Old October 17th 19, 07:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Wed, 16 Oct 2019 23:29:53 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

Here lies the body of Henry Gray
He died defending his right of way.
His way was right, his will was strong,
But he's just as dead as if he was wrong.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old October 17th 19, 07:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, October 17, 2019 at 2:46:45 AM UTC+2, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/16/2019 4:20 PM, AMuzi wrote:
https://nypost.com/video/cyclist-t-b...y-to-be-alive/

Had he been just a bit slower, he would have been killed.

That's a perfect illustration of the dangers of sidewalk riding. And
it's why people's "feelings" of safety are often nonsense. The rider
doubtlessly thought he was safer riding that way. He was very wrong.

And the precise same danger applies to wrong-way (or bi-directional)
bike lanes, even if they claim to be "protected." It's one of the
reasons the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety found them to cause
over 11 times as many car-bike crashes.

"Protected" indeed!

--
- Frank Krygowski

If the cyclist thinks he is protected riding that way he is an idiot. If I was riding there I would think 'I'm riding here and there is a big chance the truck driver doesn't notice me' because:
- I'm riding in the wrong direction,
- the driver is in a high position and will easily over look me,
- a driver taking a right turn will likely only be concentrating on oncoming traffic from the left.

So I would have stopped.

Lou
Old October 17th 19, 07:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel[_2_]

Am 17.10.2019 um 06:16 schrieb John B.:
The alternate is, of course, to stop and let the Big Mother cross the
sidewalk just as he damn well pleases. Whereupon, you will of course
be alive but have lost an unimaginable amount of prestige and
undoubtedly people all over town will be pointing their finger and
shouting "That's the candy ass that stopped for the truck".

The alternate is not to cycle on the sidewalk in the first place, when
it is known that riding on a sidewalk is 3 times as dangerous as riding
on the road ;-)

Old October 17th 19, 03:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, October 17, 2019 at 7:49:01 AM UTC+1, Rolf Mantel wrote:

The alternate is not to cycle on the sidewalk in the first place, when
it is known that riding on a sidewalk is 3 times as dangerous as riding
on the road ;-)

I generally agree. But it strikes me that someone who rides on the pavement all the time, or any time it is permitted, is probably also a gutter bunny, and that truck driver would have collected him either way.

I'd be interest to hear where you got your information "that riding on a sidewalk is 3 times as dangerous as riding on the road".

Andre Jute
Aggressive Passive Safety: Bicyclists should avoid tangling with mechanical contrivances bigger than they are.

Old October 17th 19, 03:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 17/10/2019 10:24 a.m., Andre Jute wrote:
On Thursday, October 17, 2019 at 7:49:01 AM UTC+1, Rolf Mantel wrote:

The alternate is not to cycle on the sidewalk in the first place, when
it is known that riding on a sidewalk is 3 times as dangerous as riding
on the road ;-)

I generally agree. But it strikes me that someone who rides on the pavement all the time, or any time it is permitted, is probably also a gutter bunny, and that truck driver would have collected him either way.

I'd be interest to hear where you got your information "that riding on a sidewalk is 3 times as dangerous as riding on the road".

Seems to me that this would depend a lot on the road and the sidewalk.
We had a couple people killed in Montreal going through an underpass and
being rear ended by trucks. You'd have to see the setup. Steep
underpass. Dark. Narrow. Truck didn't see the cyclists etc. There
are sidewalks there and the city decided to allow cyclists to use them.

Before the danger danger brigade gets fired up, this is a one off. I
wouldn't recommend using sidewalks generally.

Old October 17th 19, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel[_2_]

Am 17.10.2019 um 16:24 schrieb Andre Jute:
On Thursday, October 17, 2019 at 7:49:01 AM UTC+1, Rolf Mantel wrote:

The alternate is not to cycle on the sidewalk in the first place, when
it is known that riding on a sidewalk is 3 times as dangerous as riding
on the road ;-)

I'd be interest to hear where you got your information "that riding on a sidewalk is 3 times as dangerous as riding on the road".

German government research publications
"Forschung Stadtverkehr" number A7, from 1991, quoting a Danish study
(bicycle accident count before/after introducing a "bicycle sidewalk")
Ole Bach, Ole Rosbach, Else Jørgensen: Cyclestier i byer - den
sikkerhedsmæssige effekt, Hg. Vejdirektoratet, Næstved/Dänemark,
1985.

German publications of the same time provide similar results:

Landeshauptstadt München (Hg.): Bereichsweise Unfalldatenauswer-
tung zur Forschreibung der Radwegeplanung. München 1985

Fahrradwerkstatt Glocksee e.V., Auswertung von Radverkehrunfällen
in Hannover, 1985

Alrutz u.a.: Dokumentation zur Sicherung des Radverkehrs,
BASt-FP 8502, Heft 74, Bergisch Gladbach 1989
Old October 17th 19, 04:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, October 17, 2019 at 3:35:56 PM UTC+1, Rolf Mantel wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Rolf. -- AJ

Here's how to ride bike better stronger faster Kevan Smith[_2_] General 1 August 4th 10 12:49 PM
Pedestrians made to walk faster so that cars can go faster. Doug[_3_] UK 91 March 17th 09 09:37 AM
Ride 10% faster! ZBicyclist General 9 July 13th 08 12:18 AM
How to ride faster? [email protected] General 38 May 25th 05 02:36 AM
Do you go faster in a bunch ride Timmy_wilson Australia 5 January 31st 05 03:25 AM