A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Coh and Co Bicycles

Old July 18th 19, 05:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Coh and Co Bicycles

Interesting and innovative work from bike designers Paul Harder Cohen and Mette Walsted, using wood and carbon fiber (I'm not interested in a 'steel is real' flamewar). This BBC podcast has some great interviews.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3csz1yp

Their website has some great pics.

https://www.cohandco.com/

No, I'm not trying to sell the bikes, I just found them very interesting and thought I would share.
Ads
Old July 18th 19, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo
external usenet poster

To my eyes, they don't look as nice as a frame made from tubing, but they look nice enough. Braze-on style front derailleurs are a nuisance, because they limit the sizes of chainrings that can be used. But these days, you can go without a front derailleur anyway.

My one major misgiving is the deletion of the right seatstay on the "Erik" model. If you can put that kind of grievous design blunder into production, what other-- less visible but still serious-- problems might you have made for the end user?
Old July 18th 19, 07:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

On 7/18/2019 12:59 PM, Chalo wrote:
To my eyes, they don't look as nice as a frame made from tubing, but they look nice enough. Braze-on style front derailleurs are a nuisance, because they limit the sizes of chainrings that can be used. But these days, you can go without a front derailleur anyway.

My one major misgiving is the deletion of the right seatstay on the "Erik" model. If you can put that kind of grievous design blunder into production, what other-- less visible but still serious-- problems might you have made for the end user?

Over Two Thousand US Dollars ?

You'd expect some at least minimal engineering integrity for
that kind of money.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Old July 18th 19, 08:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 11:45:26 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:

that kind of money.

The road bikes aren't even pretty like the Renovo, RIP. https://bikeportland.org/2018/10/04/...t-quits-290561

Been there, wood that.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old July 18th 19, 09:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 1:59:23 PM UTC-4, Chalo wrote:

Looks like they forgot the left chainstay, too. Asymmetry must be very fashionable
now.

I know Cannondale's "Lefty" front non-fork hasn't taken the world by storm, but
I gather it works pretty well. Maybe that's the inspiration?

- Frank Krygowski
Old July 18th 19, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 3:30:36 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:

that kind of money.

The road bikes aren't even pretty like the Renovo, RIP. https://bikeportland.org/2018/10/04/...t-quits-290561

Been there, wood that.

Those Renovos were pretty indeed!

There's still Calfee bamboo bikes. https://calfeedesign.com/bamboo/ But to me
they look like some high school kid's environmental science project. Too organic
for me.

- Frank Krygowski

Old July 18th 19, 09:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo
external usenet poster

Frank Krygowski wrote:
Looks like they forgot the left chainstay, too. Asymmetry must be very fashionable

now.

Ooh, gross. I didn't notice that.

Fail!
Old July 18th 19, 09:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 2:30:36 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:

that kind of money.

Been there, wood that.

-- Jay Beattie.

Wow. Those Renovo bikes looked really nice. Ash and rosewood I think for the two bikes shown in the middle of the story. At the Iowa State Fair last year there is a crafts display for anyone in the state who made something.. I think. One of the displays was a bike made from hardwood like the Renovo. Can't remember if he used steel lugs or all wood like the Renovo. He had pictures of his bike riding RAGBRAI. Bike looked good.
Old July 18th 19, 10:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 3:38:08 PM UTC-5, Chalo wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

now.

Ooh, gross. I didn't notice that.

Fail!

The missing right seatstay and missing left chainstay was only on one of their models. The Erik urban bike. The Gustav road bike did have two seatstays and two chainstays. I'm guessing they wanted to be chick, and dude, and suave, and cool, and radical for the urban bike to appeal to the urban 20 year olds still living at home. Apparently there is at least one intelligent person at the company who looked at 100+ years of bicycle frames and said, lets just do what everyone else did. And one non intelligent person who said lets be rad and do something stupid.
Old July 19th 19, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 1:34:11 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 3:30:36 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:

that kind of money.

Been there, wood that.

Those Renovos were pretty indeed!

There's still Calfee bamboo bikes. https://calfeedesign.com/bamboo/ But to me
they look like some high school kid's environmental science project. Too organic
for me.

Wood wasn't my thing, but I was really sorry to see them go. I'm saddened when any of the custom builders bites the dust, although a replacement seems to spring up -- probably because of the UBI frame building program. https://bikeschool.com/index.php/classes/frame-building But wood was a novelty. We need a new novelty bike. Maybe a bike made out of cannabis. Combine a few novelties.

-- Jay Beattie.