OLN-TV cycling coverage gets even thinner!

Old February 12th 05, 04:41 PM
amit

Callistus Valerius wrote:

OLN hasn't figured out how to cover cycling yet. They tried

Trautwig,
and that was a flop. I think they need to use some technology, like

Fox
covers NASCAR. Camera on the bike, during fast descents, more on the
technology of the sport, that's what Americans like.

i think OLN gets all their feed from euro sources and they only film
the moronic cutters shows and stuff.

if it's cheesy you can bet the euros have tried it. RAI which covers
(covered?) the giro had bike cams and cams embedded in the road.

Old February 12th 05, 06:23 PM
HardwareLust

"Callistus Valerius" wrote in message
ink.net...
OLN hasn't figured out how to cover cycling yet. They tried Trautwig,
and that was a flop.

They've tried Troutlips on the Olympics, Arena Football, Triathlons, etc.
He's been a flop at them all. Truly one of the worst sportscasters of all
time. I just want to vomit whenever I see him on TV. He ruined the
Olympics, and now I can't even watch Arena Football anymore.

I think they need to use some technology, like Fox
covers NASCAR.

The only technology they *need* is Phil Liggett, Paul Sherwin and Bob Roll.
They don't film the races at all anyway, they just buy the feed from the
Euro's anyway. If OLN had to pay for the camera's and the production, we
wouldn't see any euro races at all. Actually shooting a race is
horrendously expensive

Of course, if they insist on using that Troutlips idiot. frankly I don't
want to see any more races. I'll just read about them in the magazines
instead. Let's just face it; there just aren't enough cyclists that watch
TV to support advertisers buying commercial time. It's simple math. And,
let us not forget that as soon as Lance quits, you can forget any further
coverage of the TdF in the U.S. media as well. It'll go back to one hour of
coverage on CBS on the last day of the tour, just like it was when Greg won
his.

Regards,
H.

Old February 12th 05, 09:14 PM
Curtis L. Russell

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 07:17:09 -0500, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:

Yeah, but I prefer the test pattern. Or in winter the yule log. I
wonder if I can get a DVD of that?

Want mine? Comes with music. You'd have to pay shipping this year, but
this time next year I may be willing to pay to get it out of the
house. One relative insists on putting it on once a season. Its either
get rid of the DVD or the relative and I'm right on the fence on
which.

I'll pay for shipping if you want the relative. The only box big
enough doesn't have airholes, so open it up on arrival. Or not, if you
prefer...

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old February 12th 05, 09:17 PM
Wannagofast

Perhapsshould Discovery be making a move to take it over next year, the
ratings will be so low they'll have trouble getting decent advertising $,
soOLN upsets their sponsoring of Lance & Co.

"Tom Kunich" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Terry Morse" wrote in message
Steven L. Sheffield wrote:

Only weekend coverage of the Giro d'Italia; no live coverage of

Classics.
Combined coverage of Paris-Roubaix and REDLANDS????? Combined coverage
of
Liege-Bastogne-Liege and SEA OTTER?????

Blame it on the skimpy viewership. If OLN doesn't get the eyeballs,
they can't sell the ad time. They're better off playing reruns of
bull riding and fishing.

And yet they seem to put bicycle racing on at weird times. Let's face it,
putting on racing at 6:00 pm thursdays isn't going to be a big viewer hit.
Nor putting it on at 12:00 pm Saturdays.

The big question is why are they setting it up for a fall?

Old February 12th 05, 09:46 PM
B Lafferty

"Callistus Valerius" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have to disagree. OLN has figured out it's market rather well.
Cycling
was important in building its base and getting its foot in the door with
cable providers. Remember all of those cyclists begging their cable
companies to carry OLN? It worked but as their market grew, their
demographics changed. Fishing, hunting, gun sports and associated

markets
(the RV crowd) are now their staple market. Cycling is a marginal market
for them unless Lance is the centerpiece which he will not be with the
Discovery deal. Welcome back to the good old days. I expect that WCP's

DVD
"division" will do increasingly well in the years ahead.

Oh, I forgot about "Discovery", you're right, cycling will be out on
OLN. Yep, if you want to watch some cycling, go down to your LBS and buy
DVD. That's back to the future.

IIRC, OLN has one more year to go on its deal with ASO to cover their races.
I suspect that they've made a profit on that coverage with the Armstrong
years and could care less about next year in relation to cycling. They'll
maximize with their core market now. How about hunting with a crossbow
while on a bicycle?

Old February 13th 05, 03:33 PM

You're interpreting it wrong, it's a good thing. The lack of coverage
means that fans will have to depend on web resources to keep up with
major races on a day-to-day basis, leading to better web sites and
feeds for coverage. Discussions on r.b.r will likely be interesting
again, actually about racing instead of lunatics like CP and MD. People
will have to use their imaginations again to envision the attacks and
action.

And think of all that people here complain about that they won't have
to put up with. No more complaining about the commercials, no more
complaining about the camera coverage, no more complaining about
something Roll says or the latest OLN color coverage commentary. For
those who have complained non-stop for the past 5+ years, they should
be happy, too.

Zub

Old February 15th 05, 03:18 AM
Jesse T

Steven L. Sheffield wrote:

Only weekend coverage of the Giro d'Italia; no live coverage of Classics.
Combined coverage of Paris-Roubaix and REDLANDS????? Combined coverage of
Liege-Bastogne-Liege and SEA OTTER?????

Once again, OLN is proving to be the ONLY LANCE NETWORK!

Ewoud, save us!