The Oztralian: Diabetics ride for a better life

Old January 18th 06, 04:32 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default The Oztralian: Diabetics ride for a better life

A stationary bike as a aid to alleviate diabetes? Wait 'til they get
them roller racing!

Diabetics ride for a better life
http://tinyurl.com/7j449
Verity Edwards. January 18, 2006

DIABETES sufferers over the age of 60 could soon find an ally in the
bicycle, with a University of South Australia study expected to show
the benefits of cycling in alleviating side effects of the disease.

Esther May, head of the university's school of health sciences, has
just completed a pilot study on the benefits of riding a stationary
bike in alleviating diabetes. She and colleagues Annette Raynor and
Sara Jones are about to start a full-scale study.

"It has come out of recognition that physical activity is beneficial
[for] many forms of chronic conditions, including diabetes," Professor
May told the HES. "The cycling fitted with the work that we'd been
doing with diabetes."

While exercise has been recognised as a way of helping regulate sugar
levels in the bloodstream of diabetes sufferers, weight-bearing
activities such as walking have often lead to further problems.

"We know that podiatrists' waiting rooms are full of people with sores
and pressure points and problems with their feet," she said. "It's
trying to better match the exercise regime with the problems that they
have."

The study focuses on low-impact and non-weight-bearing exercise and how
it affects diabetics.

"We're looking at circulation in terms of cycling and how does it feel
for them, particularly when a lot of them haven't done it before, but
in a controlled environment," she said.

To monitor pressure placed on the feet during cycling, participants
wear force plate sensors in their shoes. Ultrasounds also measure blood
flow in the foot before, during and after exercise.Glucose levels are
monitored as well.

The pilot program used women, with each bringing a friend to keep them
company. "If you can get a buddy type system, over time [the exercise
regime] might be more sustainable," Professor May said.

Pilot study participant Neta Fioravanti, 62, developed type2 diabetes
nine years ago. "It was in both my parents' families," Ms Fioravanti
told the HES. "I was expecting [to get] it but not as soon as I did."

Ms Fioravanti had not been physically active recently before she took
part in the study. Twice weekly she brought in a friend and they cycled
for 20 minutes on stationary bikes.

"I've noticed a difference since we stopped before Christmas," she
said. "I was feeling a lot fitter and my sugar levels seemed to be a
lot more controlled [when we were cycling].

"If you know your sugar is controlled you know you're doing the right
thing. In the long term it's going to, hopefully, help diabetes and
it's all to do with the circulation of your lower limbs."

--
cfsmtb

Old January 18th 06, 05:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle

cfsmtb Wrote:

Pilot study participant Neta Fioravanti, 62, developed type2 diabetes
nine years ago. "It was in both my parents' families," Ms Fioravanti
told the HES. "I was expecting [to get] it but not as soon as I did."

bugger me! small world. I went thru high school with her son.
he was a prick...

--
flyingdutch