carrying a digital camera on bike tours?

Old October 15th 04, 11:20 PM
Bob Anderson

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 07:08:36 -0700, Terry Morse
wrote:

Now I'm using a Canon Digital Elph. It's smaller, faster, and has
very little shutter lag.

I like to take my Canon S100 Digital Elph on rides. I have two
batteries, and with flash and display off it can take at least a
couple hundred of pictures per battery, usually more. It has a
1gig compact flash, plenty of room for hundreds of shots at
highest resolution. I recently purchased replacement batteries,
the Canon's didn't seem to hold a charge after 4 years. They
aren't Canon, and are half the price of Canon, but work better,
from tigerdirect. It's small, takes nice 1600x1200 pictures, has
an optical view finder (saves battery time). Only has 2x optical
zoom. Nice stainless steel body, seems sturdy for electronics.
The newer Digital Elphs are more powerful for less money, nice
camera.

---
"BitwiseBob" - Bob Anderson
Eugene Oregon

Old October 16th 04, 12:25 AM
Pat

"Phil Blumenkrantz" wrote in message
om...
: Seeking advice on the practicality of carrying a compact digital
: camera on long-distance self-contained bike tours. I am particularly
: interested in the problem of battery recharge time. Does anyone ride
: with a recharger, or replacement batteries? How many shots do you get
: with a 2-3 megapixel camera without having to recharge or replace? The
: camera store says about 100 but Consumer Reports says 300-500
: depending on the camera. I'm looking at the Nikon Coolpix 2200, Cannon
: Powershot A60, Kodak Easy Share CX7430 or Olympus D-580 zoom. Up until
: now, I've carried a lightweight point and shoot.

I carry a Canon A80 but the A75 is similar. I like it because of the bulge
where the AA batteries are gives me something to grab on to. I considered
the S500 but it is so smooth that I was afraid I would drop it.

Pat in TX

Old October 18th 04, 04:30 AM
Chuck Anderson

Pat wrote:

"Phil Blumenkrantz" wrote in message
. com...
: Seeking advice on the practicality of carrying a compact digital
: camera on long-distance self-contained bike tours. I am particularly
: interested in the problem of battery recharge time. Does anyone ride
: with a recharger, or replacement batteries? How many shots do you get
: with a 2-3 megapixel camera without having to recharge or replace? The
: camera store says about 100 but Consumer Reports says 300-500
: depending on the camera. I'm looking at the Nikon Coolpix 2200, Cannon
: Powershot A60, Kodak Easy Share CX7430 or Olympus D-580 zoom. Up until
: now, I've carried a lightweight point and shoot.

I carry a Canon A80 but the A75 is similar. I like it because of the bulge
where the AA batteries are gives me something to grab on to. I considered
the S500 but it is so smooth that I was afraid I would drop it.

Pat in TX

Do any of the cameras one of you mentioned save images in raw format?
I'm looking for a small - very portable - digital camera that lets me
save pictures in raw format.

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

Old October 18th 04, 05:05 AM
Chris Neary

Chuck Anderson wrote:
Do any of the cameras one of you mentioned save images in raw format?
I'm looking for a small - very portable - digital camera that lets me
save pictures in raw format.

The Canon S60 will save in raw format.

It's not the smallest, but pretty small.

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventu what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh
Old October 18th 04, 05:05 AM
Chris Neary

Chuck Anderson wrote:
Do any of the cameras one of you mentioned save images in raw format?
I'm looking for a small - very portable - digital camera that lets me
save pictures in raw format.

The Canon S60 will save in raw format.

It's not the smallest, but pretty small.

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventu what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

if you wanted maximum braking, where would you sit? wle Techniques 133 November 18th 15 02:10 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Rides 0 June 1st 04 04:53 AM
Convert Hybrid to Touring bike Willy Smallboy Techniques 23 March 26th 04 01:03 PM
Street Bike Devlin UK 44 March 17th 04 10:28 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM