Knee surgery from CMW

Old December 13th 08, 06:38 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
eyal

Default Knee surgery from CMW

entropy;1148245 wrote:
At least no one can blame me for this mess - I've been surfing for the
last nine months!

Actually, weren't we talking about Josh's silly surfing habit when I
burst my finger on that rock? and then again when Largo slammed his
shoulder?

I can't wait to start riding again this Sunday!... and I'll cross my
busted fingers that my knee isn't aggravated the next morning, after
those four long months of nurturing it. Good health to one and all!

--
eyal
Old December 13th 08, 07:45 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
teachndad

vivalargo;1147744 wrote:
Good luck on your surgery, Jim. The muni has been kinda rough on you.

In fact, almost everyone from my original group of friends is racked up
pretty badly - it took almost 4 years of constant riding.

Eyal is just finishing a four month layoff (knee); Charlie just had his
ACL redone; Don's knee is cooked and he'll probably need a
reconstruction; my shoulder needs surgery from dislocating it during a
big drop/fall, and my MCL is stretched. Other than that, I've seen two
broken backs and countless other injuries over the last few years,
mostly on gnarly DH single tracks. Seems thy will get you eventually . .
. .

We're riding this weekend but the new plan is to go easy on the huge
drops and super steep stuff and try and stay with hard rolling.

JL

Wow, I didn't realize how injury laden the SoCal riders were. I guess
one of the good things about not riding often, is I lesson my chances of
getting racked up.

Ever since Jim was the first of my SoCal Breathren to end up with a
broken back, I always think about it when I go out and I look at a line
that is reminisent of the pic he showed where it happened. It's always
with me now, especially before a ride. Though, once I am in the saddle
and focused, I don't seem to think about it too much. Yet, I have
stopped doing drops over a meager three feet. If it's a drop of over
two feet I generally try to roll it, or even just walk it. My overall
goal is to make it out of the "lines of fire" and get back to my car in
one piece.

My motto is to have fun and challenge myself at the same time. I
really enjoy Muni with both it's physical and mental challenges. I go
out and ride for two hours and get all sweaty, breath hard and find the
most challenging but safest line to ride. That's it for me.

I used to ride a motorcycle way back in the mid eighties. Absolutely
loved it, especially riding out to the Rock Store on Mulholland and up
and around Malibu's canyon roads. But, one day I cracked open a Car
and Driver Magazine that had an issue with an article on wheel chairs,
of all things. The thing I noticed was that most of the testers or
paraplegics, bacame that way due to motorcycle accidents.

It planted a seed.

Within a year and half, I sold my motorcycle and never rode again.

I mention that only because, I am starting to feel the same way about
muni with this wave of serious injuries amongst my co-riders. Will I
become paralyzed riding a MUni, I doubt it. Can I F myself up for a
while? Sure, I could. But, I still ride, and will continue as long as
the interest holds me. I continue to ride semi conservatively, and
enjoy riding the "tight rope" of safety and risk. I just think about
the risks more, these days.

I wish Jim and all the other socal riders strong recoveries. Oh, and
that rider from Vancouver... you too.

Cheers and Ride SAFE.

--
teachndad

Rod Wylie 'MountainUnicyclingLA.com'
(http://www.mountainunicyclingla.com)
'UnicycleTips.com' (http://UnicycleTips.com)
'UnicycleRoundupLA.com/' (http://unicycleroundupla.com/)
Old December 13th 08, 07:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Munivision

Well, my knee surgery went fine, the surgeon said the meniscus tear was
quite a bit larger than it showed on the MRI, but the MCL and ACL and
other ligaments were fine. No arthritis to speak of either. Hurts like
a mother right now. He thinks I'll ski this season!!

Thanks for all the good wishes. Incidently, I believe my knee was
first damaged on an MTB ride, and further messed up at CMW.

--
Munivision

Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right!
Old December 16th 08, 08:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unicycle6869

Glad to hear everything went well. Here's to a speedy and full recovery!

--
unicycle6869

24X3 INSTENSE TIRES ON SALE
HERE!!! (\"HTTP://WWW.UNIPROSHOP.COM\")

'www.uniproshop.com' (http://www.uniproshop.com)

Toe surgery... UniDudeDX Unicycling 67 March 23rd 08 12:09 AM
Bicycling and arthroscopic knee surgery [email protected] General 10 November 15th 05 05:15 PM
FS: Federal ACL knee gasket knee pads, new, medium Todd Marketplace 0 February 8th 05 04:29 AM
OT Eye surgery Stan Cox UK 23 August 28th 04 11:29 AM
Knee surgery progress report jpcycler Unicycling 35 January 19th 04 02:28 PM