Lanterne Noir

Old July 26th 12, 09:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Davey Crockett[_5_]

Default Lanterne Noir

atriage a écrit profondement:

| Damn poor show, good effort by Jan Ghyselinck to finish runner up in
| the Lanterne Rouge and Noir competition though.

I don't think there's any specific "Noir" competition in the Tour.

As far as I remember, there's just the Lanterne Rouge where the current
Wannabe/NeverWazzer had a red back light affixed to his steed (a la
Tony Hoar in 1955)

On the other hand, the Giro did make the TailEndCharlie wear the Maglia
Nera (Black Jersey).

There's possibly some confusion between the two GTs for last spot on
final GC.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think either the back light or black
jersey are actually in use today, but the names have stuck in the
respective "competitions".

But maybe I'm wrong - I haven't been much of a GT spectator the last 10
years or so.

--
Davey Crockett
Flying the Flag of the English

Old July 26th 12, 09:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
atriage[_6_]

On 26/07/2012 09:38, Davey Crockett wrote:
atriage a écrit profondement:

| Damn poor show, good effort by Jan Ghyselinck to finish runner up in
| the Lanterne Rouge and Noir competition though.

I don't think there's any specific "Noir" competition in the Tour.

As far as I remember, there's just the Lanterne Rouge where the current
Wannabe/NeverWazzer had a red back light affixed to his steed (a la
Tony Hoar in 1955)

On the other hand, the Giro did make the TailEndCharlie wear the Maglia
Nera (Black Jersey).

There's possibly some confusion between the two GTs for last spot on
final GC.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think either the back light or black
jersey are actually in use today, but the names have stuck in the
respective "competitions".

But maybe I'm wrong - I haven't been much of a GT spectator the last 10
years or so.

I didn't realize anything like an actual Lanterne Noir had ever existed, I
thought it was a rather amusing name made up by the OP for the 'bad behaviour'
list.

Old July 26th 12, 04:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Dacey

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 09:54:09 +0100, atriage
wrote:

On 26/07/2012 09:38, Davey Crockett wrote:
atriage a écrit profondement:

| Damn poor show, good effort by Jan Ghyselinck to finish runner up in
| the Lanterne Rouge and Noir competition though.

I don't think there's any specific "Noir" competition in the Tour.

As far as I remember, there's just the Lanterne Rouge where the current
Wannabe/NeverWazzer had a red back light affixed to his steed (a la
Tony Hoar in 1955)

On the other hand, the Giro did make the TailEndCharlie wear the Maglia
Nera (Black Jersey).

There's possibly some confusion between the two GTs for last spot on
final GC.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think either the back light or black
jersey are actually in use today, but the names have stuck in the
respective "competitions".

But maybe I'm wrong - I haven't been much of a GT spectator the last 10
years or so.

I didn't realize anything like an actual Lanterne Noir had ever existed,

thought it was a rather amusing name made up by the OP for the 'bad behaviour'
list.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This. Although there is no 'Lanterne
Noir'(at least until *now*), I thought it was an accolade long overdue
and a natural for a group like rbr.

That was pretty observant to note Ghyselinck's achievement: it's a
rare combination of gifts that a cyclist should have the brinksmanship
skills to both teeter close to the edge of hors delais elimination
*and* be able to find the fringe of the frontier of committing various
rules infractions without getting ejected for them. Sort of like
finding a climber who can also sprint.

-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
Our 29th year
http://businesscycles.com

Lanterne Rouge Donald Munro Racing 1 July 6th 08 12:49 AM
Lanterne Rouge Carl Sundquist Racing 2 August 3rd 07 09:14 PM
Lanterne Rouge Carl Sundquist Racing 2 July 25th 06 04:55 PM
lanterne rouge RonSonic Racing 2 July 13th 05 08:33 AM
Day 1 of Lanterne Rouge [email protected] Racing 10 July 4th 05 10:56 AM