Modern Marvels

Old April 16th 08, 03:29 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
stratrider

Default Modern Marvels

I am sure many recognize the title of my post. I borrowed it from the
History Channel. It's a great show. I watch it regularly. Now if
only they would produce a show on the not so modern marvel, the
bicycle. Whether we are talking about a recumbent or upright, this
not so modern marvel of efficient transportation continues, in my
view, to be viewed largely as a kids toy in the US. I have made this
point before in recent years when gasoline was $1.50 per gallon. But
now it's $3.50 or more a gallon and at least in my area, the bike
continues to be overlooked as transportation! I cannot believe it!
People continue to be astonished when I tell them I commute to work (7
miles) on a bike. It takes 30-35 minutes depending on lights and
traffic. I tell them it takes me 10 to 15 mins to drive! Still, they
hold onto their car, truck, or suv, and bitch every day about the
price of gas! Go figure.

Jim Reilly
Reading, PA
Old April 17th 08, 12:59 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_2_]

stratrider aka Jim Reilly wrote:
[...]

I am looking forward to a upcoming relocation so I can start riding a
bicycle to work.

Old April 17th 08, 03:19 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
[...]

Why can't you settle down in one spot? All this constant relocating is for
gypsies. I suggest you get married and have about 10 kids. Then you will be
permanently settled in one spot for the rest of your life.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old April 17th 08, 03:38 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]

Who said my abode was changing?

I would shoot myself before having children around - the only problem
with the "Modest Proposal" was it being satire and not a serious
proposition.

BTW, being married and having multiple children is no barrier to being
told to relocate.

Old April 17th 08, 05:54 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]
I am looking forward to a upcoming relocation so I can start riding a
bicycle to work.

Why can't you settle down in one spot? All this constant relocating is
for gypsies. I suggest you get married and have about 10 kids. Then you
will be permanently settled in one spot for the rest of your life.

Who said my abode was changing?

I would shoot myself before having children around - the only problem with
the "Modest Proposal" was it being satire and not a serious proposition.

BTW, being married and having multiple children is no barrier to being
told to relocate.

Actually, being married with multiple children will anchor you. Your wife
and kids will see to that.

You should have stayed in the Quad Cities (Illinois Side). If you had you
would now be the most prolific poster from a single address to ARBR instead
of me. Of course many of your posts are negligible in content unlike my
weighty expositions. But I must admit, the longer I stay on Usenet, the more
I find that I am becoming trivial and contentless like you. It must be due
to the nature of the medium.

Old April 17th 08, 06:10 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]
I am looking forward to a upcoming relocation so I can start riding a
bicycle to work.
Why can't you settle down in one spot? All this constant relocating is
for gypsies. I suggest you get married and have about 10 kids. Then you
will be permanently settled in one spot for the rest of your life.

Who said my abode was changing?

I would shoot myself before having children around - the only problem with
the "Modest Proposal" was it being satire and not a serious proposition.

BTW, being married and having multiple children is no barrier to being
told to relocate.

Actually, being married with multiple children will anchor you. Your wife
and kids will see to that.[...]

The choice is often move or be fired. Jobs are hard to find, not that
Mr. Ed the Slacker would know.

Old April 17th 08, 06:34 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]
I am looking forward to a upcoming relocation so I can start riding a
bicycle to work.
Why can't you settle down in one spot? All this constant relocating is
for gypsies. I suggest you get married and have about 10 kids. Then you
will be permanently settled in one spot for the rest of your life.

Who said my abode was changing?

I would shoot myself before having children around - the only problem
with the "Modest Proposal" was it being satire and not a serious
proposition.

BTW, being married and having multiple children is no barrier to being
told to relocate.

Actually, being married with multiple children will anchor you. Your wife
and kids will see to that.[...]

The choice is often move or be fired. Jobs are hard to find, not that Mr.
Ed the Slacker would know.

The Great Ed Dolan retired from the world of work and jobs when he was 30
years of age. To work all of your adult life marks you for a fool. Ed Dolan
the Great elected to pursue the life of a dilettante and as a result he
knows many things that others like Tom Sherman are ignorant of.

What is amazing to me is that Mr. Sherman is a civil engineer, not married
and no children to support, yet he is always belly aching about money and
jobs. How can this be - in the land of the free and the home of the brave?
Something is rotten in Denmark if you ask me! I suspect he has expensive
vices which keep him constantly broke and on the move.

Old April 17th 08, 06:47 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]
[...]

If Mr. Ed had not inherited money and property, he would have been
homeless at age 30.

What is amazing to me is that Mr. Sherman is a civil engineer, not married
and no children to support, yet he is always belly aching about money and
jobs. How can this be - in the land of the free and the home of the brave?
Something is rotten in Denmark if you ask me!

Yes, engineering services are a commodity to be awarded to the lowest
bidder. Too bad we do not apply the same fiscal discipline to doctors
and lawyers.

I suspect he has expensive
vices which keep him constantly broke and on the move.

Mr. Ed is out of touch of the modern world. At the school I went too,
undergraduate tuition, fees and a dorm room exceeds $20K per year (and
yes, this is a public land grant university). My rent for a cheap
apartment is over $10K per year. Food from the grocery store is easily
$10/day.

Old April 17th 08, 07:56 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]
[...]

I also saved every penny I ever earned when I did work. The whole purpose of
work is to obtain leisure. Without that, life is not worth living.

What is amazing to me is that Mr. Sherman is a civil engineer, not
married and no children to support, yet he is always belly aching about
money and jobs. How can this be - in the land of the free and the home of
the brave? Something is rotten in Denmark if you ask me!

Yes, engineering services are a commodity to be awarded to the lowest
bidder. Too bad we do not apply the same fiscal discipline to doctors and
lawyers.

Sorry, but I have never heard of engineers who were not extremely well paid.
You ought to be living la dolce vita by now. But don't get me going on
doctors and lawyers. I hate them as much as anyone.

I suspect he has expensive vices which keep him constantly broke and on
the move.

Mr. Ed is out of touch of the modern world. At the school I went too,
undergraduate tuition, fees and a dorm room exceeds $20K per year (and
yes, this is a public land grant university). My rent for a cheap
apartment is over $10K per year. Food from the grocery store is easily
$10/day.

Mr. Sherman should hire me to manage his life for him. I would soon have him
on easy street.

I think what needs to change is that folks have to stop piling up in large
metros. Small towns and villages are the way to go. Living is cheaper in
such places. Even a job that does not pay so well will often get you a long
ways - and overall life is just less hectic in the quiet and less populated
places of the earth.

Mr. Sherman needs to seek out a county engineering job in a rural area. Such
jobs seem to be about streets and roads mostly. County engineers are like
kings and are deferred to by one and all since no one else ever knows what
they are talking about.

Old April 18th 08, 01:16 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]
[...]

The starting wage for a civil engineer with a graduate degree is a
larger US city is about $40/year, or less than a third of what a doctor
or lawyer would make.

I suspect he has expensive vices which keep him constantly broke and on
the move.

Mr. Ed is out of touch of the modern world. At the school I went too,
undergraduate tuition, fees and a dorm room exceeds $20K per year (and
yes, this is a public land grant university). My rent for a cheap
apartment is over $10K per year. Food from the grocery store is easily
$10/day.

Mr. Sherman should hire me to manage his life for him. I would soon have him
on easy street.

Any more good tales of fiction?

I think what needs to change is that folks have to stop piling up in large
metros. Small towns and villages are the way to go. Living is cheaper in
such places. Even a job that does not pay so well will often get you a long
ways - and overall life is just less hectic in the quiet and less populated
places of the earth.

Mr. Sherman needs to seek out a county engineering job in a rural area. Such
jobs seem to be about streets and roads mostly. County engineers are like
kings and are deferred to by one and all since no one else ever knows what
they are talking about.

To get a job as a county engineer, one needs to be related to someone
currently in the department or on the county board. Most public sector
jobs are filled in a similar manner.

Thoroughly Modern: The Bicycle John Hearns UK 2 May 13th 07 09:32 PM
modern marvels pays respect to glue (and loctite, crazy glue) bdbafh Techniques 0 January 18th 07 05:01 AM
Modern hairnets [email protected] UK 0 August 12th 06 08:26 PM
Modern MTB questions Andy B Australia 4 March 16th 04 01:52 AM