New to the sport...

Old September 21st 08, 02:15 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jason13

Default New to the sport...

I picked up a fairly cheap used Cycle Design the other day. I know this
is not a quality uni, but I thought it best to start with something I
wasn't going to worry about when I dismount in an unintended fashion.

I've read a bunch on different ways to learn, and it seems most people
favor the "rail support method." I don't have a rail support handy, so
I'm going to put one together with some spare wood. Until then, I'm
just getting up and getting down.

My question is that the seat I have does not appear to have a readily
identifiable front or back. The mount on the bottom of the seat is
situated closer to one end than the other - but not sure if that end is
the front or back. Any thoughts?

--
jason13
Old September 21st 08, 06:56 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
teachndad

Also, for figuring out the front and rear. Look at the threaded end of
the pedal that goes into the crank. At the end, you will see a stamped
letter R or a stamped letter L. Right should match your right foot and
the L should match your left foot.

You can use a fence, wall, light pole or even a parking meter to start.
Keep practicing and you will get it.

Good luck.

--
teachndad

Rod Wylie 'MountainUnicyclingLA.com'
(http://www.mountainunicyclingla.com)
'UnicycleTips.com' (http://UnicycleTips.com)
'UnicycleRoundupLA.com/' (http://unicycleroundupla.com/)
Old September 21st 08, 09:20 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munimutant

Many will disagree on this, it seems to be somewhat controversial
method, but for me, SKI POLES was the way to learn. Way fewer unplanned
dismounts (UPDs), I could start from anywhere (no pole, wall or other
support needed), and I was able to ride longer and farther with them.
It sounds like a lot of work for you to build wood rails. If you don't
have ski poles, probably two broom handles with holes drilled to hold
webbing straps would do.

--
munimutant
Old September 21st 08, 10:09 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Mikefule

I learned by mounting against a wall then launching into the void.

You need a smooth flat surface and about 5 - 10 metres of space.

A friend who posts here learned in more or less the same way.

Then when you get to be able to ride more than 10 metres or so, it's
just a matter of practising and setting goals.

Have fun.

--
Mikefule

"There's lots of things in theory. Sometimes I think it must be nearly
full." Sid Kipper
Old September 21st 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

It sounds like you have the 'Savage' type seat - mounted on an axis so
that it can tip back and forward, unless the clamp is *really* tight,
with a 1/4" metal frame on the outside. Horrible - maybe just get a
replacement (they are heavy and uncomfortable and tend to rock at
inconvenient times).

But it doesn't matter much which way round you use it. As you say,
both ends look pretty much the same. Probably have the clamp ahead of
the seatpost, so that the seatpost leans slightly to the rear when the
uni is upright.

Old September 21st 08, 04:03 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Wheeliefine[_2_]

It sounds like you have the 'Savage' type seat - mounted on a
transverse axis so that it can tip, unless the clamp is *really*
tight, with a 1/4" metal frame on the outside. Horrible - maybe just
get a replacement (they are heavy and uncomfortable and tend to tip at

Old September 21st 08, 04:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munirocks

How about posting a picture of your uni, then people can see what it
looks like. I learned riding with one hand sliding along a stone wall.
Good luck with learnig!

--
munirocks

I am Christian but I ride for myself.
Old September 22nd 08, 03:28 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
chrome

I've used the wall method, and the chain link fence method. I either
case, wear gloves of some sort to protect your hands. Once you can do
consecutive revolutions, the wall or fence can be skimmed with your
palm for support. This worked well for me.

Cheers!

Cr

--
chrome