Easy Racer

Old February 23rd 04, 03:03 AM
sid

Default Easy Racer

has anyone tried this? I was at a shop today and the sales guy insisted that
these are where most bent riders end
eventually. It was too rainy to test ride anything.
Also, is chromoly really aluminum on top of steel?
I was under the impression it's an alloy yet wasn't able to verify on google

Old February 23rd 04, 03:26 AM
Joao de Souza

sid wrote:

has anyone tried this? I was at a shop today and the sales guy insisted that
these are where most bent riders end
eventually.

Which model is it? The "Tour Easy" and "Gold Rush" models are excellent
bikes all around, very easy to ride, fast, and reliable. The "EZ" line
of bikes is easy to ride, inexpensive, but not exactly high end.

Also, is chromoly really aluminum on top of steel?

The "Tour Easy", "EZ-1 SC", "EZ-3", "EZ Sport", and "EZ tandem" models
are chromolly steel. The "Gold Rush Replica", "Fold-Rush", "EZ-1 Lite",
"EZ-3 AL", and "EZ Sport LE" are aluminum. And the "Ti-Rush" is
titanium. None of them are "aluminum on top of steel".

See http://www.easyracers.com/ for more details.

Joao "not affiliated with Easy Racers but love their bikes" de Souza
Old February 23rd 04, 03:32 AM
Banjopikr1

Also, is chromoly really aluminum on top of steel?

Chromoly is a hi strength steel alloy thats fairly light in weight(for
steel).It can be brazed.
Old February 23rd 04, 04:09 AM
Joao de Souza

sid wrote:

Also, is chromoly really aluminum on top of steel?

Oops. Misread this line. As a bit of oversimplification, chromoly is a
type of steel alloy that contains chromium and molybdenum in the mix
along with the usual iron and carbon. It doesn't contain any aluminum.
Old February 23rd 04, 08:55 AM
GEBUH

run, dont walk as far away from that place as you can- I've got a tour easy- I
love it and wouldnt trade it for anything
(except maybe a p-38) but a bent is such an individual thing that anyone who
tries to spoon you into something just cuz everyone else is doing it is talking
out of orifices remotely located from his mouth. you might very well end up
with an easy racer- but the only way to find out for sure is to ride as many
different types of bents as you can get your hands on
gebuh

Old February 23rd 04, 12:08 PM
john riley

"sid" wrote in message news:81e_b.8836$CQ6.5031@fed1read05...
has anyone tried this?

Tried what? If you are looking for TE plans:

http://home.flash.net/~staudt/bike.htm
Old February 23rd 04, 10:13 PM
Pamela Dallas

(john riley) wrote in message . com...

Tried what? If you are looking for TE plans:

http://home.flash.net/~staudt/bike.htm

For "TE Clone" plans and examples, also visit:

http://www.recycledrecumbent.com/

Pamela
Old February 24th 04, 01:20 PM
Samuel Burkeen

For what it is worth, chromoly is a 4130 steel alloy which is widely used
for stock car racing and airplane frames. It is a high-strength and easily
weldable alloy. This is one of the reasons it is a logical, inexpensive
choice for bicycle frames. In my opinion it is a better choice than
aluminum from the fatigue standpoint. Portions of aluminum frames that see
high cyclic stresses need to be beefed up relative to steel. This is why in
many instances aluminum frames will appear fatter than their steel
counterparts.

Old February 24th 04, 03:51 PM
John Riley

Pamela Dallas wrote:
[B
For "TE Clone" plans and examples, also visit:
http://www.recycledrecumbent.com/htt...recumbent.com/
Pamela

Very interesting. The Mach 2 does something a lot of people have talke
about; getting the seat a bit lower

http://www.recycledrecumbent.com/picture%20page%205.ht

John Rile

-

Old February 28th 04, 10:24 PM
George MacKenzie

Forgive me for getting carried away, but I just had to respond
thoroughly to this response:

First a response to the original poster:

Test ride lots of bikes of various configurations, and buy one you
like and can afford. It is most likely that factors like the seat
height, steering arrangement, or even the number of water bottle
braze-ons will make much more difference to your long term enjoyment
of the bike than the exact metallic composition of the frame.

As for the dealer who suggested the Easy-Racers bikes, I'd tell him
that most everyone eventually ends up in a pine box someday, but that
I'm not going to make my current choice of sleeping arrangements based
on that fact. Even if what he told you about most recumbent riders
eventually finding themselves on Easy-Racers were true, an Easy-Racer
bike may not be the right choice for you right now. They are indeed
nice bikes, but they are not for everyone.

Now a response to "Samuel Burkeen" :

Actually, 4130 is just one type of chromium-molybdenum alloyed steel.
The 4 means that the iron is alloyed with primarily molybdenum, the 1
essentially means that there is no more than 1.5% non-ferrous metals
in the alloy, and the 30 means that the steel contains 0.30% carbon,
which is a low enough carbon content to make the steel easily
weldable. 4140, and 4340 are other common chromium and molybdenum
alloys, but they are not as easily weldable is 4130. 4130 is widely
used by experimental aircraft fabricators, and industrially it is used
primarily in high-temperature applications.

NASCAR, if I am correctly informed, mandates that mild steel be used
to construct stock-car frames. Mild steel is non-alloyed low carbon
steel (1018, or 1020). The reasoning behind this mandate is that
these weaker steels are more likely to absorb impacts by deforming
than 4130, which is more likely to break than is mild steel. Crash
protection usually isn't an issue in bicycle frame design. If I
understand correctly, NASCAR allows the use of chromium molybdenum
steel in non-structural components.

Aluminum, and its alloys, certainly does not have the same fatigue
resistance that steel has, but the reason that aluminum bicycles
usually have fatter tubes than steel bicycles is manifold. For a
given cross-sectional area, aluminum is not as strong, speaking of
tensile and compressive strength, as steel, but it does have a lower
density. To make aluminum tubes as strong as steel tubes they have to
have more cross-sectional area than steel tubes, i.e thicker walls for
the same outside diameter, or bigger diameters for the same wall
thickness. For a given weight, larger diameter tubes are stiffer,
i.e. more resistant to bending, than smaller diameter tubes, but with
equal tensile and compressive strengths. Without showing the math,
suffice it to say that, for a given tensile strength, aluminum tubes
can be made stiffer than steel tubes while maintaining walls thick
enough to discourage buckling or denting, which is a problem with very
thin-walled steel tubes.

On the other hand, the high strength aluminum alloys, the 6xxx and
7xxx series alloys primarily, get very soft when welded and are a pain
in the anal orifice to post weld heat treat and age properly in order
to restore the original properties of the alloy. However, almost all
small manufacturers get away with not performing a post weld heat
treatment on their ChroMoly frames.

I hope this helps someone, and if I'm in error any where here, then I
apologize, and ask that someone who actually knows what they are
talking about, i.e. not me, point it out. I'm always eager to learn.