More on collective nouns

Old October 14th 05, 07:08 AM
Claude

Default More on collective nouns

John Faine and Hilary Harper on 774 (Melbourne) this morning were asking
what the collective noun for cyclists is - they proposed (IIRC) a 'spoke', a
'peleton' and a 'cluster'. It was just an aside so they didn't take it any
further. Was reminded that someone asked here about the collective noun for
cyclists about a week or so ago.

A collective noun benefits greatly from alliteration. My proposal is a 'Sus
of cyclists' as in sustainable but I like its ambiguity.

For drivers, I propose a 'dunce', a 'drag' or a 'psychopath of drivers'

Old October 14th 05, 08:56 AM
DeF

Claude wrote:
John Faine and Hilary Harper on 774 (Melbourne) this morning were asking
what the collective noun for cyclists is - they proposed (IIRC) a 'spoke', a
'peleton' and a 'cluster'. It was just an aside so they didn't take it any
further. Was reminded that someone asked here about the collective noun for
cyclists about a week or so ago.

A collective noun benefits greatly from alliteration. My proposal is a 'Sus
of cyclists' as in sustainable but I like its ambiguity.

For drivers, I propose a 'dunce', a 'drag' or a 'psychopath of drivers'

Actually, it was a collective noun for bicycles. In the end,
I decided on "quiver" to describe my collection of bikes.

For cars, there are so many choices. How about a "**** of cars",
mainly because when it's spoken it sounds like "a lot of cars".

Other possibilities that spring to mind...
A stink of cars.
A death of cars (as opposed to a dearth of bike paths)
A park of cars (usual state of freeways here in peak hour).

Back to work now...

DeF

--
e-mail:
To reply, you'll have to remove finger.
Old October 14th 05, 01:28 PM
Resound

"DeF" wrote in message
Claude wrote:
[...]

You could always just lump them in with crows.

Collective noun DeF Australia 19 October 3rd 05 01:29 PM
Collective noun for tricycles Richard Bates UK 8 June 30th 04 07:58 PM
A picking of collective brains please dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers UK 9 April 3rd 04 04:59 PM
Collective Noun Richard Bates UK 8 July 23rd 03 10:55 AM