Name your ideal muni (help!)

Old July 21st 06, 06:56 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
David_Stone

Default Name your ideal muni (help!)

I am about to 'need' a muni, something I have avoided purchasing for the
past decade because I was heretofore too busy on the weekends to have
time to make it to a muni weekend. Well, now I'm going to have the muni
course in my backyard, but I need the muni!

Unicycle.com has these mountain unicycles: http://tinyurl.com/5shw9

What would you muni'ists recommend? Or would you mix and match to make
something even more amazing? Let's assume money is not an object. Do I
go with Poznanter hub? Do I go as light as possible? Crank length? I
don't even know what Qs to ask.

Help!

Details that might figure in: I weigh close to 200 and am a level 7
rider. I ride very fast when possible. My balance could be better, so
I'm going to have a lot to learn no matter what I get. My course is
going to be pretty modest, but I'd like to use the same uni on muni
weekends and the like (at other locales).

Thanks!

--
David_Stone

Dictator for Life,
NYUC

Check out my blog (or else):
http://newyorkunicycle.blogspot.com/
David_Stone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3834

Old July 21st 06, 07:07 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tomblackwood

I'm a huge fan (and owner) of the Hunter, but if I was buying again
today, it would be the KH Freeride hands down. I think it's the best
overall deal and combo of strength, good design, splined hub. With the
KH on the market, I'm not sure any of those $1,000 models are really
worth the price.

Just my two cents, but I think that's your best deal, especially if you
don't see muni becoming a major part of your life.

TB

--
tomblackwood

Tailgate at your own risk...

UNICYCLING to fight Multiple Sclerosis...click 'here'
(http://tinyurl.com/px9q9) to help.

Old July 21st 06, 07:19 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Catboy

'[image:
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=34688 &g2_serialNumber=3&g2_GALLERYSID=113450402a352b260 1b9a99b1c510021]'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/?g2_itemId=34642)
Doesn't have a name, but it's my favorite. Click the pic to look at
it's gallery.

--
Catboy

'I have the amazing power to talk to cats! =^.^='
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Catboy)

Ah munna ee choo!

Old July 21st 06, 07:26 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
muzzle

ideal is a kh freeride (24") with a gazzalodi tire, derail carbon fibre
base and thomson post

--
muzzle

my videos: 'muzzle!videos' (http://youtube.com/profile?user=muzzl3)
http://youtube.com/profile?user=muzzl3
my website: '!muzzle!' (http://www.muzzle.co.nr)
http://www.muzzle.co.nr
muzzle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11458

Old July 21st 06, 07:32 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

This is easy. If I was buying a new muni today it would be a KH 24"
Freeride with a few upgrades. Doesn't make sense to go custom unless
you really want to.
My spec would be:
KH 24" Freeride
165mm cranks (I like long cranks)
150mm cranks (looks like the Freeride has 150's as stock now)
Scott Wallis seat base with Thomson seatpost
Whatever handle you like
Whatever rear bumper Scott suggests
KH foam or foam on air for the seat
KH Fusion seat cover
Better seatpost clamp (A Salsa if if fits the aluminum KH)
Atom Lab Aircorp pedals
No brake
Intense DH tube
And some sort of mojoe to dress up the unicycle (headbadge, Moab
emblem, something)

Could opt for the Profile hub since the Profile cranks are apparently
stronger than the current KH cranks. But I'm not that abusive to
cranks so the KH cranks should do me fine.

I'd also go for both a set of short cranks (150mm) and long cranks
(165mm or 170mm). Sometimes you may want short cranks and sometimes
you may want long cranks.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Dirty Muni
Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

Old July 21st 06, 07:56 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

If I had to buy a new MUni today, it'd be a KH Freeride. Options as you
wish, but that's the best starting point.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"The worst thing you can do on a unicycle when you land is stop dead."
-- Kris Holm, world's expert on high-consequence unicycling

Old July 21st 06, 08:00 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
iridemymuni

my ideal Muni would be the koxx 24" trackmonster with a brake.

if you wanted to go custom i would do it 24" with a brake, and most
importantly a large marge rim with big 3.7" tyre, but a 3" tyre will
still be pretty much perfect.

failing them, i'd get the KH freeride, i've heard their great.

--
iridemymuni

The past is in your head, the future's in our hands

~~hold bananas for christ~~
iridemymuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11900

Old July 21st 06, 08:32 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tomblackwood

'Liar...' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/?g2_itemId=136258)

Old July 21st 06, 08:40 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

tomblackwood wrote:
'Liar...' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/?g2_itemId=136258)

Nah, just selective memory.

Old July 21st 06, 10:01 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

My personal would be:

KH 24" Freeride plus:
DMR V12 pedals, mag bodies/ti axles
Magura Hs33 brake with braided lines and S.Wallis cf brake lever and ss
brake mount
S.Wallis Derail seat base, deathgrip handle and cf bumper, with
probably a UDC gel insert and KH fusion cover
Thompson seatpost
A really good QR clamp, like the Salsa

If you intend to ride alot on loose or very rocky ground you might like
to consider a Surly Large Marge 64mm rim, they give more volume and
better stability to the tyre, so roll over rough ground better, have
more traction and resist sidewall fold more. However, this setup is
significantly heavier and less manouverable than for instance the KH
rim, although this may just be due to my inexperience on it, my friend
who has a largemarge/gb4/Kh custom muni does pretty damn well on it on
all terrains. Also, they do a lighter, less strong version which if
you're not doing huge drops may be a possible alternative. I've seen
one of these rims fit in an Onza frame, and there is of course the
surly conundrum frame deisgned to take this rim, even with the 4" tyre
that they also offer on it. However, it may not fit in the KH frame due
to the increased tyre width, so you may wel have to swap up to a
heavier frame aswell. Muni seems currently to be splitting between
those who ride 'normal' rims and those who go for monster truck wheels,
and you need to build up your Muni around which route you deide to go
down, as the rim is such a pivotal part.

KH versus profile, Im not going to try and compare the strength of
them, but I will say that it seems most crank failures occure in street
and trials riding, with few in Muni and cross country, so regardless of
whether the KH is stronger or not it will still be strong enough to
withstand the abuse you give it. It's lighter than the profile, you can
get the cranks off easily, the cranks don't squeak and click, it's
cheaper, ok it doesnt come with a warranty but it sounds like a lot of
people have been dissapointed with profile's warranty recently, it
certainly does not mean you will never have to buy another hub or set
of cranks.

--
kington99

Dave