'Bent Thefts and Robberies in The City?

Old January 10th 06, 03:42 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,nyc.general

Default 'Bent Thefts and Robberies in The City?

Alex Rodriguez wrote:

Why?

'Cause it's looks high-end.

It's not like just any rider is going to ride off with a bent.

In a City of ten million, it's very possible.

I've seen them on 9W, but I don't know where they were going.

Hmm. I gotta get out there more!

You can use a bent in the city, but there are better choices. The biggest
drawback I see with using a bent in the city is that you are seated quite
low. That makes it difficult to see what's going on around you. A regular
diamond frame bike allows you to sit up higher and see what's going on around
you.

Well, of course, I'd choose the route carefully -- though I was
inspired to see some guy biking his 'bent across 125th Street during
summer rush hour! -- and get on the sidewalk if need be.

That helps others see you, but that doesn't help you see others.

I'm usually looking straight ahead anyway. Though it will be
interesting to adjust my "Spidey Sense" accordingly....

Sure. Just be careful. The FBBT usually attracts a lot of folks who only
ride once or twice a year. So their bike handling skills are lacking and
it can be dangerous to have them riding around you.
---------------
Alex

Thanks, but I never had anywhere near a problem, and I'm talking about
racing with the second-best of 'em (the best are already at the
starting line -- and just how does one get up there? Camp out the
night before??) as well as the worst -- tykes on their trykes.

Old January 10th 06, 07:22 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,nyc.general

Joao wrote:

Indeed! I know of only 4 women bent riders in or around the city.

It's always a Catch-22, isn't it -- the biggest complaint for females,
after the sheer feer of riding in traffic, is the comfort factor.
Unfortunately, with that solved the fear factor goes up due to limited
visibility!

Yup. The guy is a bit wacko, and once he starts talking to you, he just
won't let you go. But he does ride a recumbent, so all is forgiven

I'd like to meet him. Chit-chat; I'm curious how he gets about on a
'bent as a messenger -- I was one for half a summer and I can't really
imagine how you'd do it with a 'bent.

That's Dexter. That guy is freakin' amazing!

He is. I saw him on a job once, when on one of my own. Too bad I
couldn't chat with him.

A few pretty female bike messengers, too. It's an interesting
subculture.

The MARS club (Metro Area Recumbent Society) sometimes does rides in the
city. Then there is always the Harlem Recumbents who ride in the city
and also long-distance group rides.

Ah, yes, them!

Metro-Area Recumbent Society - http://www.recumbents.com/mars/

There is also the Harlem Recumbent club, but I don't have any contact
information for them.

Cheers.

Thanks for the refs! I'll find the Harlem folks once day I'm sure, and
I'll post contact info.