Mountain biker dies on trail

Old June 11th 07, 02:49 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default Mountain biker dies on trail

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 04:52:57 GMT, Bill wrote:

Callistus Valerius wrote:
to go out and do what I call my
suicide run at full speed until I can barely stand, much less walk. It
covers about 900-1100 feet and my heart only starts pumping after my
legs have given out. If'n I was gonna have a heart attack that should do
it, but it just peaks around 160-170 when I am walking back. On the
riding days I try to keep it at 150 but that requires more motivation
than I have lately.
Nope,
No sofa 4 me.
Bill Baka

Your asking for a major cardiac event at your age. For your age --- Running
150 (sustained running), cycling 140 (sustained cycling). I'm assuming
those numbers you gave were just short peaks, otherwise you wouldn't be
here. When it hits, death comes quickly.

I have never smoked, quit drinking years ago, Cholesterol is around 190,
and heart attacks don't run in either side of my family. Whenever I take
my grandkids out to the park or beyond it is them that get tired. I can
ride at a sustained 160+ and have been doing it since 1999 when I got
serious about the bike. The running just comes natural since I was the
fastest kid in the whole school in 6th grade. We had an annual 'all
school' run around the school grounds and I always came in way ahead of
the other kids. I think it's genetic on my father's side since he smoked
himself into a stroke (first one and final one) at 83, and on my
mother's side 90's was the norm. Running gets me to 160+ but I can't
sustain it due to too much cycling and different muscles. It isn't my
heart or lungs giving out, just my legs sprinting and burning out the
short term 'twitch' energy.
Besides, if I manage to give myself a fatal coronary it will be doing it
enjoying myself, and not in an old farts home.
My father always told me "Use it or lose it." so I am using 'it'. As
long as I am physically capable of running I will continue to do it as
much as possible. Over the last few months I have been running further
and faster as I regain my running muscles, which are apparently a
separate set than riding muscles, since my riding strength has not
increased from running.
I actually like seriously stressing myself to see if anything breaks.
It might, and then you will not see me posting.
I exist to live life, not watch it.

There must be a name for that disease: you think that if you aren't
speeding somewhere, you aren't living, and you think that anyone who
isn't doing that isn't living. No wonder you come off as an ignorant
hick: you never spend any time LEARNING. Even the inventor of
aerobics, Cooper, said that super-exertion like you are doing is
completely unnecessary.

I can't watch sports on television
because it just makes me want to go out and get a game going, which is
pretty much impossible with my 50-60 year old friends.
I can't even get a gang of teenagers together and away from their play
stations. My 15 year old grandson prefers his PSP over real sports.
Sad but true. I think the news people are right in saying that we may
outlive our kids due to video games.
Bill Baka

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old June 11th 07, 03:50 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bill Sornson

Callistus Valerius wrote:
[...]
I exist to live life, not watch it. I can't watch sports on
television because it just makes me want to go out and get a game
going, which is pretty much impossible with my 50-60 year old
friends.
I can't even get a gang of teenagers together and away from their
play stations. My 15 year old grandson prefers his PSP over real
sports.
Sad but true. I think the news people are right in saying that we may
outlive our kids due to video games.
Bill Baka

-------------
Be very careful, I fear you are on the edge of disaster. The person
I knew, who died in the marathon, was the most fit person I knew. He
was only 40. http://www.azstarnet.com/metro/159854
"He froze and collapsed," said co-runner Marjorie Brinton, whose
husband watched Witkes fall.
-----
That's how quick it happens. Wiggy was an ultra-endurance athelete.
He did some insane 700 mile running event, I forgot what it was
called. The way you write reminds me a lot of how Wiggy use to talk.
I did some 300k rides with him, he would talk your ear off, but there
wasn't anything he couldn't do. After Wiggy went down, a lot of us,
including me, started to cut down on our training, watched those
heart rate numbers a little bit closer, keep it out of the death
zone, we aren't supermen.

Let not your heart be troubled. "Iron Bill" doesn't do one-twentieth of
what he claims. (He basically goes on "neighborhood scavenging" rides
looking for discarded computer equipment. Teenage girls know when to stay
inside.)

ROTFL

BS

Old June 11th 07, 04:16 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment

On Jun 10, 10:24 am, "Callistus Valerius"
wrote:
"He had rode ahead on the trail," Staton said. "When one of the bikers
got there, they found him off the bike. He was unresponsive."

He said fellow bikers tried to revive the man as emergency crews made
their way to the area on all-terrain vehicles. A cause of death had
not yet been determined, Staton said. The call was received just
before 11 a.m.

The identity of the man, believed to be in his 50s,

----------
So he died of a heart attack, so what's new here. Rarely do road
pro-cyclists make it to age 60, most die before that from heart attacks.

snip

Bull****. Cite any studies that show that your statement has any basis
in fact.

Not even a decent troll.

Old June 11th 07, 06:34 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bill

Callistus Valerius wrote:
Be very careful, I fear you are on the edge of disaster. The person I knew,
who died in the marathon, was the most fit person I knew. He was only 40.
http://www.azstarnet.com/metro/159854
"He froze and collapsed," said co-runner Marjorie Brinton, whose husband
watched Witkes fall.
-----
That's how quick it happens. Wiggy was an ultra-endurance athelete. He did
some insane 700 mile running event, I forgot what it was called. The way
you write reminds me a lot of how Wiggy use to talk. I did some 300k rides
with him, he would talk your ear off, but there wasn't anything he couldn't
do. After Wiggy went down, a lot of us, including me, started to cut down
on our training, watched those heart rate numbers a little bit closer, keep
it out of the death zone, we aren't supermen.

I could counter with the fact that being born is an automatic death
sentence, so I just overdo it until the day I drop. As I have mentioned,
there will be no 'rest' home for me. Full blast.....dead stop.
That is me.
Bill Baka

Old June 11th 07, 06:39 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bill

Mike Vandeman wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 03:19:33 GMT, Bill wrote:

Vandeman's opinions = bad.
Bill Baka

My personal evidence is me.

I.e., demented.

If I didn't ride and run for fun I might not
be able to do it at all now.

Are you incapable of WALKING? Why is it that the only exercise you
are interested in is the kind that rips up nature? (I know, you never
answer questions, because it would embarrass you. You were the kid who
always mouthed off in class to hide the fact that you didn't know the
answer.)

Your dim wittedness is showing. I don't walk since I can run, on
pavement, not mountain trails. Kicking up a loose bit of pavement is
hardly damaging the wildlife. I only walk when I have to get somewhere
and not be sweaty. I don't need the bike 100% of the time. The other
fact that passes way over your head is that I have to ride about 30
miles each way to get to the isolated preserve area where I ride and
walk the trails.
Pay attention.
Bill Baka
Old June 11th 07, 06:41 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bill

Mike Vandeman wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 04:16:32 GMT, "Callistus Valerius"
wrote:

to go out and do what I call my
suicide run at full speed until I can barely stand, much less walk. It
covers about 900-1100 feet and my heart only starts pumping after my
legs have given out. If'n I was gonna have a heart attack that should do
it, but it just peaks around 160-170 when I am walking back. On the
riding days I try to keep it at 150 but that requires more motivation
than I have lately.
Nope,
No sofa 4 me.
Bill Baka

Your asking for a major cardiac event at your age. For your age --- Running
150 (sustained running), cycling 140 (sustained cycling). I'm assuming
those numbers you gave were just short peaks, otherwise you wouldn't be
here. When it hits, death comes quickly.

As if anyone cares.

I actually don't care. If it's my time then so be it. I plan on going
out enjoying myself, not with a walker in a home.
I've said that about ten times and it seems that some people would do
anything to cling to life, even if it is in an old folks home.
That isn't life and I don't want that.
Bill Baka
Old June 11th 07, 06:47 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bill

Mike Vandeman wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 04:52:57 GMT, Bill wrote:
I actually like seriously stressing myself to see if anything breaks.
It might, and then you will not see me posting.
I exist to live life, not watch it.

There must be a name for that disease: you think that if you aren't
speeding somewhere, you aren't living, and you think that anyone who
isn't doing that isn't living. No wonder you come off as an ignorant
hick: you never spend any time LEARNING. Even the inventor of
aerobics, Cooper, said that super-exertion like you are doing is
completely unnecessary.

You are confusing me with the 20 something set. I run full out for the
heart rate max, and bike anywhere from 8 MPH goof off mode to around 18
when I want to get somewhere (on the road). I never trail ride at more
than about 12 MPH so I can see and maybe NOT run over a snake or
whatever. If there is a Blue bellied Skink I will pick it up and play
with it for a while, same as I do with rattle snakes.
Yes, I do catch them by the tail, and they get royally ****ed off, but I
know how not to get bit.
Chew on that tidbit, dimwit.
Bill Baka
Old June 11th 07, 06:49 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bill

Bill Sornson wrote:
Callistus Valerius wrote:
[...]

Sore Knee,
Between you and Vanderman we are full up with idiots here.
If you even attempted one-twentieth of what I have actually done I doubt
that a sissie boy like you would have survived.
Per Arnold, you strike me as a "Girlie Man".
Bill Baka
Old June 11th 07, 08:42 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc

wrote:
"He had rode ahead on the trail," Staton said. "When one of the bikers
got there, they found him off the bike. He was unresponsive."

He said fellow bikers tried to revive the man as emergency crews made
their way to the area on all-terrain vehicles. A cause of death had
not yet been determined, Staton said. The call was received just
before 11 a.m.

The identity of the man, believed to be in his 50s,

----------
So he died of a heart attack, so what's new here. Rarely do road
pro-cyclists make it to age 60, most die before that from heart attacks.

Just for fun, and since I did my grad work in epidemiology, I worked
up the average age at the time of death for TDF winner from 1903 to
1980.
Seems like TDF winners make a good cohort ... all are/were
professional racers. All are well documented.
Take out Hinault since he is not yet 60. Remove n=10 because they are
over 60, but still alive.
Take out non "natural deaths" where cause of death is given.

Suicide n=2
WWI n=3
Shot to death/Murdered n=1
Beaten to death/Murdered n=1
Malaria n=1
Cancer n=1
Car crash n=1

And you are left with

Winners deceased possible of being 60 or over Average age 72.84 low
50 high 87
Winners 60 or over and still alive Average age 68.9
Winners who died under 60 n=6 Average age 55.83

Cyclists dying from heart attacks is very common.

People dying of heart attacks is very common

Knew a guy who died from
a heart attack in a marathon, which really shocked the other runners. What
they didn't know was he was an avid road cyclist.

The football coach at the university I went to for my under grad died
from a heart attack while riding a 20 year old chearleader, which
really shocked a lot of people ... And he wasn't an avid road
cyclist ... what's you point?

snip Blather snip

Old June 11th 07, 09:36 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Marty

"Bill" wrote to Vandespam in a message

Your dim wittedness is showing.

See a wall and run your head into it. That's the scope of what you need to
know about arguing with he who must not be named............ He doesn't care
about getting it.

Marty (mntn biker except when I'm not - his logic not mine)