Seized Seat Post

Old November 14th 08, 10:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Seized Seat Post

On Nov 10, 11:57*pm, BeeRich wrote:
Hi folks.

I just bought a used old bike. *Seat post is "stuck" inside seat
tube. *I put some lubricant into it twice now, and can't find my vice
grips...yet.

Anybody know how to get this thing out? *Alternate ways?

Cheers

I had a mountain bike length alloy post seized in an aluminum touring
frame that I removed this summer. Tried penetrants. Tried ammonia.
Tried Coca Cola. Tried pipe wrench w/ cheater bar. Took to bike shop
and used their vise. Didn't budge.

Cut the top of the post (leaving a couple of inches exposed) and sawed
slots in it and then used a long (18") socket wrench extension and a
BFH to roll a section of the post down on itself until the sucker
finally gave up and let go.

Cleaned the tube out with a brake hone, greased it up, and it was good
to go.

I was amazed at how far down the tube the post was seized. The post
didn't move until I was within two inches of the bottom.

Good luck. The sawing and all took a couple of hours over two weeks
time. A shorter post will probably let go sooner.

Cheers,

MD
Old November 19th 08, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
BeeRich

OK, so an update.

- bought some PB Blaster, soaked it for 2 days using the spray
- Bought a bench vice, crimped the seat tube (frame upside down),
twisted
- Used 2 vice grips (found the old one, bought a new one in the
meantime), while frame in vice
- propane torched it for 3 minutes or greater (thinking the PB Blaster
would ignite and flame my arse)
- whacked the tube with a large hammer

Nothing. Yet.

I bought another bike, so I'm happy with that. I now just want to see
if I can get this thing out with perseverance, because it's become a
personal thing now.
Old November 19th 08, 01:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

BeeRich wrote:
OK, so an update.

- bought some PB Blaster, soaked it for 2 days using the spray
- Bought a bench vice, crimped the seat tube (frame upside down),
twisted
- Used 2 vice grips (found the old one, bought a new one in the
meantime), while frame in vice[...]

The decline in moral standards.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the precipitate.