Speedplay or Shimano

Old August 28th 03, 08:06 PM
toby

Default Speedplay or Shimano

I like to buy some new pedals for new Trek 5200.
I have problems with my knees.
I have read several articles and opinions and would like to buy the Shimano
Dura -Ace 7750.
Will I have enough float with these pedals so I won't kill my knees or
should i stick with the Speedplay Zero's

Old August 28th 03, 10:59 PM
Bryan Boldt

toby wrote:

I like to buy some new pedals for new Trek 5200.
I have problems with my knees.
I have read several articles and opinions and would like to buy the Shimano
Dura -Ace 7750.
Will I have enough float with these pedals so I won't kill my knees or
should i stick with the Speedplay Zero's

go search the tech forum for the recent thread... "Speedplay X2 vs new Shimano pedals"
Old August 29th 03, 04:21 AM
toby

Did you ever find out what was causing the pain?

"D.P.G." wrote in message
I was riding Shimano Pedals on the same bike (Trek 5200) and had pain in
the front of my knee at the base of the knee cap. I switched to X2's at

the
advise of the bike shop owner and have not had pain for 1 1/2 years. This
worked for me, the float is a good thing.

t...

Old August 29th 03, 05:53 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

I like to buy some new pedals for new Trek 5200.
I have problems with my knees.
I have read several articles and opinions and would like to buy the

Shimano
Dura -Ace 7750.
Will I have enough float with these pedals so I won't kill my knees or
should i stick with the Speedplay Zero's

The new Dura-Ace pedals are probably not the easiest on the knees; they have
considerably greater release requirements (takes a fair amount of "oomph" to
snap your feet out compared to Speedplays) and have considerably less float.
The attraction to many is their fear that they'll accidentally come out of
Speedplays (exceptionally rare) or they just simply want that feedback they
get at the end of the rotation (a preference thing; neither is really better
than the other, just different).

Of course, you have Speedplay Zeros with an adjustable range of float, and
some feedback for when you're coming to the release point. Not sure what
you'd expect to gain from the Shimanos. I assume you have your pedals set
for a fair amount of rotational float presently?

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old August 30th 03, 03:18 PM
Steve Croft

Finding the cause of knee pain can be like looking for that clicking
in your drivetrain - it can be a long process of "try this and see
what happens". You mentioned that you were under a doctor's care
which is good, but make sure he understands legs mechanics wrt
cycling. I had knee pain and my primary doc referred me to an
orthapedic doc - he made a prelim diagnosis and sent me to a physical
therapist. The PT was well versed in cycling-related pains and got me
on a program to fix the problem. This process took quite awhile
mainly due to the HMO process and my own procrastination (it included
two visits to primary doc, two visits to the orthopedic doc, and three
to a PT).

For those that care the sympton was an ache on the inside and top of
the knee where the quad inserts into the patella. It came on
gradually over months and I thought it might be tendonitis - but it
turned out to be that my VMO part of the quad was weak relative to the
VL part and was causing the patella to mis-track. A few weeks of
weights and stretching and the situation has greatly improved (I am
still rehab'ing the knee so I have to be careful about it, but things
are looking very good). If anyone has a prob like this, google for
"vmo patella pain" and you'll see plenty of good sites on it.

"D.P.G." wrote in message
I was riding Shimano Pedals on the same bike (Trek 5200) and had pain in
the front of my knee at the base of the knee cap. I switched to X2's at

the
advise of the bike shop owner and have not had pain for 1 1/2 years. This
worked for me, the float is a good thing.

t...

Old August 31st 03, 05:37 AM
Michael

I have been riding Speedplay for the past 18 months and will not
likely make a switch to anything else currently on the market. With
the Zero's, you can adjust the float to perfectly match the natural in
and out of your ankle as it moves through the pedal cycle.

Float is a small component in knee pain. Other larger contributors
are riding style, saddle height, lack of flexibility and muscle
imbalance.

I have never pulled out of the Zero's and the dual sided entry makes
getting in easier. Of all the components on my bike, I feel stongest
about my Zeros.

Michael
Old September 3rd 03, 06:26 AM
Bill Davidson

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
Is the Speedplay system really that light? The pedals are plenty light,
but it looks to me like the cleats are relatively heavy.

When the SPD-SL's came out, I did a comparison and the Speedplay's were
still a bit lighter--even with the cleats--even the X/3's (though those
are close). If my PD-7401's ever wear out, Speedplay X/2's or maybe the
Zero Stainless will probably be my replacement. It's not just the weight.
I like the system better than Look too.

I think the Brand S argument for the SPD-SL setup is that it's the
lightest copy of the Look system you'll find, and has several detail
improvements over the Look design. Also, it's what Lance rides, and for
some, that will be enough.

It's not exactly a copy of the Look system--at least the cleats are
not interchangable. Sigh. I would say I don't care what Lance rides
but I found out that before he went to SPD-SL's he rode 7401's :-).

--Bill Davidson
--
Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.

I'm a 17 year veteran of usenet -- you'd think I'd be over it by now