Another Addition to My "Required Reading for the Entire Planet": Deffeyes, Kenneth S., Hubbert's Peak -- The Impending World Oil Shortage

Old April 10th 04, 11:33 PM
djarvinen

Default Another Addition to My "Required Reading for the Entire Planet": Deffeyes, Kenneth S., Hubbert's Peak -- The Impending World Oil Shortage

Mike Vandeman wrote in message . ..
Deffeyes, Kenneth S., Hubbert's Peak -- The Impending World Oil Shortage.
Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 2001.
"In 1956, the geologist M. King Hubbert predicted that U.S. oil
production would peak in the early 1970s. Almost everyone, inside and outside
the oil industry, rejected Hubbert's analysis. The controversy raged until 1970,
when U.S. production of crude oil started to fall. Hubbert was right. Around
1995, several analysts began applying Hubbert's method to world oil production,
and most of them estimate that the peak year for world oil will be between 2004
and 2008. These analyses were reported in some of the most widely circulated
sources: Nature, Science, and Scientific American.", p.1.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Which of course proves that mountain biking is 'bad' because of all
the oil pollution--- er... I mean, because of the emissions--- no,
wait... it's... uh... I know, don't tell me... because of the fruit
snakes!

I knew I would get it right if I just thought about it enough.

DJ
Old April 11th 04, 01:26 AM
Gary S.

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 16:13:26 GMT, Mike Vandeman
wrote:

Deffeyes, Kenneth S., Hubbert's Peak -- The Impending World Oil Shortage.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

What arrogance!

Most people would "recommend" or "suggest", but Mikey is so important
that he "requires" us to do whatever he wants.

Why doesn't he just "require" all of us to agree with him, it would
simplify all of this.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Old April 11th 04, 02:36 AM
Mike Vandeman

On 10 Apr 2004 15:33:47 -0700, (djarvinen) wrote:

..Mike Vandeman wrote in message . ..
.. Deffeyes, Kenneth S., Hubbert's Peak -- The Impending World Oil Shortage.
.. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 2001.
.. "In 1956, the geologist M. King Hubbert predicted that U.S. oil
.. production would peak in the early 1970s. Almost everyone, inside and outside
.. the oil industry, rejected Hubbert's analysis. The controversy raged until 1970,
.. when U.S. production of crude oil started to fall. Hubbert was right. Around
.. 1995, several analysts began applying Hubbert's method to world oil production,
.. and most of them estimate that the peak year for world oil will be between 2004
.. and 2008. These analyses were reported in some of the most widely circulated
.. sources: Nature, Science, and Scientific American.", p.1.
.. ===
.. I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
.. humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
.. years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
..
..
http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
..
..Which of course proves that mountain biking is 'bad' because of all
..the oil pollution

Right. From your cars, pickups, & SUVs used to carry your bike to the trailhead.
Try telling the truth for a change.

Old April 11th 04, 03:21 AM
Brian Sanderson

There are a few summaries available on various Doomsaying sites that quote
Prof. Hubbert. The fact is, Hubbert was correct, and according to some
"experts" interpretations, the world will begin to experience chronic
shortages of petroleum in the next 5 to 10 years. Already some analysts are
seeing the beginning of the drop on the other side of Hubberts Peak.
Translation for the masses: We're not out of oil - yet. We're out of
cheap, easy-to-find oil...

It's easy to support this view; it explains so much: the price of gas, the
US govt's misadventures in the middle east and Afghanistan, the beginnings
of Real Facism in the US, etc.

It's even possible that Mikey is wringing his little hands with glee over
the 90% POPULATION DIE-OFF that has been predicted by some scribes of this
stripe.

So what will the world do?

Lemme give ya a hint, Mikey: tossing out technology and our industrial base
is NOT the answer.

The Modern World will have to find other sources of fuel, or find other ways
to make the fuels we're pumping out of the ground now.

How will this be accomplished?

Beats me...

Old April 11th 04, 03:41 AM
Mike Vandeman

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 19:21:33 -0700, "Brian Sanderson"
wrote:

[...]

There are only two possibilities. Natural gas needs to bs saved for clean
heating of homes & other buildings. That leaves coal & nuclear, both
unacceptably filthy and dangerous.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old April 11th 04, 07:37 AM
Benjamin Weiner

Mike Vandeman wrote:
On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 21:44:02 GMT, "Critic" wrote:

.Hey Mikey, isn't this somewhat off-topic in amb?

Not really. Most of you carry your bikes to the trailhead on your motor vehicle,
because you are too lazy to actually RIDE them.

How do most hikers get to the trailhead? How _should_ they?

Ben
often rides to the trailhead when biking,
drives when hiking - go figure

Old April 11th 04, 05:59 PM
Mike Vandeman

On 10 Apr 2004 22:37:33 -0800, Benjamin Weiner wrote:

..Mike Vandeman wrote:
.. On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 21:44:02 GMT, "Critic" wrote:
..
.. .Hey Mikey, isn't this somewhat off-topic in amb?
..
.. Not really. Most of you carry your bikes to the trailhead on your motor vehicle,
.. because you are too lazy to actually RIDE them.
..
..How do most hikers get to the trailhead? How _should_ they?

I don't know. Most of the ones I know, including myself, WALK.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old April 11th 04, 07:06 PM
S o r n i

Default Another Addiction (Namely, LYING) in MV's Pathetic Excuse for a Life

wrote:

.How do most hikers get to the trailhead? How _should_ they?

I don't know. Most of the ones I know, including myself, WALK.

So you walked down here to San Diego for your infamous stroll through
Mission Trails?

So the hikers we see out at Cuyamaca or the Lagunas WALKED out there from
the suburbs or city?!?

Bill "hypocrisy at best; dishonesty more likely" S.

Old April 11th 04, 09:12 PM
Marty

wrote:

.How do most hikers get to the trailhead? How _should_ they?

I don't know. Most of the ones I know, including myself, WALK.

So you walked down here to San Diego for your infamous stroll through
Mission Trails?

So the hikers we see out at Cuyamaca or the Lagunas WALKED out there from
the suburbs or city?!?

Bill "hypocrisy at best; dishonesty more likely" S.

Bill,

You should know better.

Marty "thinks it HAD to be done though"

Old April 11th 04, 10:05 PM
Michael Paul

wrote:
.
. .Hey Mikey, isn't this somewhat off-topic in amb?
.
. Not really. Most of you carry your bikes to the trailhead on your motor

vehicle,
. because you are too lazy to actually RIDE them.
.
.How do most hikers get to the trailhead? How _should_ they?

I don't know. Most of the ones I know, including myself, WALK.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

so you walked from U.C. Bezerkly to UCLA to Harvard and back to study? You
walked from the Bay area to San Diego and Mammoth Lakes and other places to
document trail damage?

this is yet another poorly chosen argument to prove/disprove your initial
claims. Funny though, all of the trailheads I see that are no bikes are
usually quite full with vehicles...........

idiot

Michael