RR: Chimney Rock Park a.k.a. Endo Park

Old June 27th 04, 11:16 PM
Ride-A-Lot

Default RR: Chimney Rock Park a.k.a. Endo Park

I love summer. I get to ride places Further from my house. I don't know
why this is, but I'm sure it has to do with it staying light. This way, the
wife and kids still think I spent the whole day with them. Today's ride was
with JAR (www.jerseyactionriders.org) at Chimney Rock park. No, not Chimney
Rock, NC or Chimney Rock, CO. Chimney Rock in New Jersey. It's located
just above central new jersey at the tail end of the Watchung Mountains (OK,
westerners would call them hills). It's a nice compact place that spans a
few roads and an active rock quarry. The dig out shale from the Piedmont
Plateau, I think. Enough with the geography and geology. There are three
sets of loops, plus a fourth secret loop of technical singletrack. No
horses here! A little easier than Allamuchy, but loose and steep in
sections. They have also done a great job of maintenance on the trail to
create very technical logovers and root drops. Some real fun stuff here.

I suprised myself today. Lot's of energy (I'll never sleep tonight)! I
climbed with the big boys and bombed down like a banshee. We started off
fast. Flying through the tight singletrack and into some nice rocky
sections. First blood was drawn early (not by me) on a miscalculated
logover. Some of the steep sections were just a little to loose for me and
the Id. It may climb like a goat, but it can be slippery like a snake
sometimes too. There were no less than four endovers, including myself.
Unusual for one of our rides, hence the name change to Endo Park. You'll
see some video footage later in the week and yes I will include the endos.
My endo happened on the last DH of the day. The trail had multiple large
logovers. Many two or three at a time and I was hitting them well. All the
big ones were a piece of cake until one pint size termite trap decided to
flip me. And flip me it did, headfirst into a tree. I shook it off,
laughed, and headed the rest of the way down.

A great park and I will definitely be back!

Video coming soon!

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Old June 28th 04, 12:54 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-06-27, Ride-A-Lot penned:

A great park and I will definitely be back!

Good times! I wanna know how the fourth loop is secret, though.
Without, you know, spoiling the secret.

--
monique
Old June 28th 04, 01:12 AM
Ride-A-Lot

On 2004-06-27, Ride-A-Lot penned:

A great park and I will definitely be back!

Good times! I wanna know how the fourth loop is secret, though.
Without, you know, spoiling the secret.

Let's just say you have to be a friend of a friend who knows someone who has
something to do with that loop. Oh, and knowing the Ranger doesn't hurt
either.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Old June 28th 04, 03:44 PM
supabonbon

"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message ...
[...]

Let me know when your next trip will be. Maybe I'll come down.
/s
Old June 28th 04, 03:57 PM
Ride-A-Lot

supabonbon wrote:
"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds good. This Sunday is Jim Thorpe. Probably won't be until August at
Chimney Rock or Round Valley.