Laff at him

Old October 9th 05, 01:35 AM
Steve

Default Laff at him

Like I said, Lafferty is/was wrong:
courtesy of CyclingNews.com
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...ct05/oct09news
Steffen retracts
The now former TIAA-CREF team physician Prentice Steffen has retracted the
comments he made recently in L'Equipe concerning Lance Armstrong and other
athletes, and doping. As a one-time doctor with the US Postal Service team
in the 1990s, Steffen's comments reverberated around the world as part of
the ongoing allegations that Armstrong used EPO in the 1999 Tour.

In a statement, Dr Steffen apologised for any personal comments he made
about Armstrong and others: "It was inappropriate for me to suggest that
'the bad guys, like Armstrong, dope, and the good guys, like Hamilton, dope
too.' I do not know Lance Armstrong personally and have I never witnessed
him taking banned substances. I based my assumptions about Mr. Armstrong on
rumours I had heard, instead of on anything remotely factual and I want to
issue this public retraction of comments.

"Second, my intentions in participating in the L'Equipe interview were not
to impugn anyone's character. I understood the purpose of the interview to
be a discussion of the great strides being made by anti-doping agencies
around the globe and the opportunity to improve testing for banned
substances. As a Board Certified Emergency Room and Sports Medicine
physician, I feel it is my duty to help USADA, WADA, and the UCI when I see
a potential problem with testing protocols or methods. Unfortunately, the
L'Equipe article overshadowed these issues and focused, instead, on my
comments relating to specific athletes.

"Third, it is true that some athletes in the professional peloton, accused
of doping, have willingly confessed that it is prevalent in the professional
cycling. Just as many athletes, however, have done exceedingly well in the
sport and have never been implicated in any way. It is an unfair assertion
that the only way to achieve success in cycling is through doping. Many
other factors such as hard work, dedication, and natural ability play
crucial roles in any athlete's success.

"Fourth, I am extremely sorry for any negative impact my comments may have
had on Team TIAA-CREF, its sponsors, or staff. My personal comments were not
intended to reflect their views. My comments were not approved by Team
TIAA-CREF, its sponsors, or staff. I am gravely sorry that Team TIAA-CREF
was even mentioned in association with my personal comments."

Dr Steffen finished by announcing his resignation from TIAA-CREF. "I should
permanently remove myself from the role of team physician at Team TIAA-CREF,
as my comments have damaged and dampened the spirits of these young
athletes," he concluded.

Old October 9th 05, 01:53 AM
Jim Flom

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

I am shocked that L'Equipe could have been less than objective and balanced
in its reporting. I've always thought so highly of them. This is a blow.

JF

Old October 9th 05, 02:11 AM
B. Lafferty

"Jim Flom " wrote in message
"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry to burst your little bubble of happiness, but L'Equipe accurately
reported what he said. Steffen has only retracted his comments made
directly about Armstrong. Whether the retraction was a legal necessity is
open to debate in light of the Mabry positives. The remainder of his quotes
had to do with how the Vampires are routinely beaten. That's the part
that's of real interest. I does put the Discovery blue cooler delivery by
moto in an interesting new light.

Old October 9th 05, 03:27 AM
Stu Fleming

Steve wrote:
Like I said, Lafferty is/was wrong:
courtesy of CyclingNews.com
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...ct05/oct09news
Steffen retracts
The now former TIAA-CREF team physician Prentice Steffen has retracted the
comments he made recently in L'Equipe concerning Lance Armstrong and other
athletes, and doping. As a one-time doctor with the US Postal Service team
in the 1990s, Steffen's comments reverberated around the world as part of
the ongoing allegations that Armstrong used EPO in the 1999 Tour.

One wonders which law firm sent him the letter that prompted the
retraction...
Old October 9th 05, 03:45 AM
RicodJour

B. Lafferty wrote:

Sorry to burst your little bubble of happiness, but L'Equipe accurately
reported what he said.

How could you possibly know that? All that we learned is that a
dumbass spewed based on rumors, retracted it and lost his job. Which
means exactly nothing.

Your assumptions in the face of non-information are truly staggering.
Your blind faith in L'Equipe is no better than blind faith in Armstrong
or anyone/thing else. You can do better. Do try.

Old October 9th 05, 03:47 AM
RicodJour

Stu Fleming wrote:
Steve wrote:
Like I said, Lafferty is/was wrong:
courtesy of CyclingNews.com
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...ct05/oct09news
Steffen retracts
The now former TIAA-CREF team physician Prentice Steffen has retracted the
comments he made recently in L'Equipe concerning Lance Armstrong and other
athletes, and doping. As a one-time doctor with the US Postal Service team
in the 1990s, Steffen's comments reverberated around the world as part of
the ongoing allegations that Armstrong used EPO in the 1999 Tour.

One wonders which law firm sent him the letter that prompted the
retraction...

You mean, which law firm's registered letter got to him first. Maybe
it was the outlook of multiple ass whuppings from the riders on his own
ex-team?

Old October 9th 05, 03:58 AM
Steve

Sorry, it did not burst. My point is that you made a big deal about the Dr.
Steffen quote. Adding that here is a Dr. who is in the know and says " ...".
Maybe he did back down because of Sir Lancealot's legal beagles, but I doubt
it. Unless they pointed out that he did not have the facts to back up his
insinuations. If so, fair game. Put up or shut up. BTW, I have a good
friend who has a form of blood Cancer. She will be onstage with Lance
tonight at a TdHope function, and is looking forward to it even though she
is aware of the drug controversy. The point is, he is doing some very
postive things and I truly hope that he did not dope. I am not defending
him. After all, I am DEA and will bust him, kick his butt and convict him.

Old October 9th 05, 03:59 AM
Steve

What if was Dr. Steffen's lawyer. Like, why did you say that ? Dunno, but
food for thought. Food fight!

Old October 9th 05, 04:00 AM
Jim Flom

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
Stu Fleming wrote:
Steve wrote:
[...]

I particularly liked this:
"It was inappropriate for me to suggest that 'the bad guys, like Armstrong,
dope, and the good guys, like Hamilton, dope too.' I do not know Lance
Armstrong personally and have I never witnessed him taking banned
substances. I based my assumptions about Mr. Armstrong on rumours I had
heard, instead of on anything remotely factual and I want to issue this
public retraction of comments.

And from the full text:
"However, I also feel I should permanently remove myself from the role of
team physician at Team TIAA-CREF, as my comments have damaged and dampened
the spirits of these young athletes."

If a legal gun wasn't held to his head to extract that resignation, I don't
know what was.

JF

Old October 9th 05, 05:32 AM
Michael Press

In article vSZ1f.19255$ir4.10173@edtnps90,
"Jim Flom " wrote:

[...]

I am shocked that L'Equipe could have been less than objective and balanced
in its reporting. I've always thought so highly of them. This is a blow.

Your winnings, sir.

--
Michael Press