Cities Turning to Bicycles

Old September 14th 04, 12:59 PM
Fx199

I find it works better to put it on the trailer
behind the bicycle. Fortunately the route back
from Home Depot is downhill.

yeah sure, (5) 2 x 12's 12 foot long pulled by a bicycle, there's no sin in
owning a truck
Old September 14th 04, 01:18 PM
Mark Jones

"Fx199" wrote in message
yeah sure, (5) 2 x 12's 12 foot long pulled by a bicycle, there's no sin

in
owning a truck

Exactly. I don't need someone trying to tell me what to drive.

Old September 17th 04, 12:39 AM
oznation

George Conklin Wrote:
"Chalo" wrote in message
om...
Consider than most of the people in the world make their way on a
dollar a day or less, and you see how we have squandered our
productivity. We consume and destroy 100 times as much, but we are no
happier. We could have eradicated poverty and disease with the money
we waste on our cars and their infrastructure. We could have had
urban transit that would be the envy of the world. Instead we sit in
traffic and suck exhaust fumes.

What glorious drivel and lies. The average commute by car is 20
minutes.
Not much time to be stuck now is it? You can wait 20 minutes for your
subway to get there, not counting the walk time to the station and the
walk
on the other end.

im with you but to me this sounds like if we would all go to bikes that
makes us one step closer to communisim (which is just about the most
worthless type of government "for the people of the country" that i
have ever heard of.

--
oznation

Old September 17th 04, 12:56 AM
Fx199

But that doesn't include the energy costs of producing the oil and
transporting it to the gas station where our driver filled up his SUV.
If you want to be fair- and I know you do- then you'll have to add
that to the equation.

Why didn't you add the cost of the food, and how it got there? I bet it didn't
get there by bicycle. Bicycling is great exercise, but you guys are getting
delusional utopian fantasies. There's no way most people in northern states are
going to bicycle in the winter time.
Old September 17th 04, 01:14 AM
Fx199

Subject: Cities Turning to Bicycles
From: "Claire Petersky"
Date: 9/16/2004 6:54 PM US Eastern Standard Time

"George Conklin" wrote in message
link.net...

Mass transit + bicycle riding assumes your TIME is worthless. For
environmentalists, this may be true. But not for the rest of us.

Riding a bike to work saves time, because you are combining your exercise
time with your commute time. If you have a five mile drive to work that
takes 10 minutes, that's a 20 or 25 minute bike ride. So yeah, you spend 45
minutes commuting round trip rather than driving for 20 minutes. But then
you've done your 45 minutes of aerobic exercise that you're supposed to get
every day, and you then don't have to drive after work to the gym, work out
for those 45 minutes, and drive back. The other alternative was to become
one of those middle-aged women who "let themselves go", you know?

A job, husband, kids, home -- it's a lot to manage, especially if you also
do other things in your life. Bicycle commuting made sense for me precisely
because it was a time saver, as opposed to a squander.

Plus, if I live longer, or live my elderly years more healthily because of
the regular exercise, that's more time I've gained, too.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

Well, that's nice, but not everyone has bike friendly roads on the route to
work, or live close enough to commute to work.
I don't want to get up that early, or be sweaty and need to change my clothes
when I get to work. I prefer to bicycle on the quiet roads near my house after
work.
No, I would not plan my entire life on my bike trip to work. People switch jobs
far too often these days antway. Enjoy your cities and suburbs, folks, I'll be
at my quiet lake house, driving my 25 miles one way to work on the highway.
Seriously, some of you must have alternative plans when it's pouring down rain
or 20 below zero, be realistic. I love bicycling, I love exercise, but it's not
a political thing
Old September 17th 04, 01:42 AM
oznation

Tim McNamara Wrote:
Bob in CT writes:

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 12:18:51 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Heart attack? Ask any doctor whether cycling helps prevent heart
attack.

It reduces your risk of heart attack, but does not prevent it. Ask
Jim Fixx (the guy who started the running revolution, and who died
of a heart attack). There are other examples of people who
exercised a lot and died of heart attacks.

Life does not come with a money back guarantee. No one here gets out
alive. Etc. etc. I don't know about you, but I'll do what I can to
lower my risks of relatively preventible illnesses. I watched my Dad,
aged 67, suffer and die 30 days after his 3 vessel CABG. He smoked,
he was diabetic, he didn't get any exercise for the last 15 years of
his short life.

I'm 45, have 12% body fat, a total cholesterol of 113, a resting heart
rate of 58 bpm. I just got back from riding 12 miles round trip to
work and then 50 miles after work for fun. It was a beautiful day.

hey man thats really great that you want to stay in shape but most of
these people are only thinking inside the box you haev to think outside
of the box and think about the people who cannot ride bikes to work or
w/e i know im only 17 and have alot to learn in and about life still
but you have to think as simple as possible . too many people on this
post are thinking about people who are fit and younge enough to still
ride a bike.

--
oznation

Old September 17th 04, 01:54 AM
Eric S. Sande

Well, that's nice, but not everyone has bike friendly roads on the
route to work, or live close enough to commute to work.

Quite.

But assuming ideal (or semi ideal) conditions, I ran a back of the
envelope calculation on the average one way commute length (10 miles),
the average commute time (20 minutes), and the average cost of car
ownership (based on what got reported on CNN Money today).

Excluding parking costs and health benefits, as nearly as I can
determine, given the same hourly income for the car commuter and the
bicycle commuter, the break even point is 10 miles, assuming the
cyclist can average 15 mph.

Anything shorter than 10 miles, the cyclist wins.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old September 17th 04, 02:11 AM
Pete

"Fx199" wrote

No, I would not plan my entire life on my bike trip to work. People switch

jobs
far too often these days antway. Enjoy your cities and suburbs, folks,

I'll be
at my quiet lake house, driving my 25 miles one way to work on the

highway.
Seriously, some of you must have alternative plans when it's pouring down

rain
or 20 below zero, be realistic. I love bicycling, I love exercise, but

it's not
a political thing

Choosing to ride your bike to work does not have to mean doing every single
day.

For those that don't want to, it's always too far/too cold/too wet/I have
too much crap to carry.

Pete

Old September 17th 04, 02:23 AM
S o r n i

oznation wrote:
Tim McNamara Wrote:

[...]

hey man i have no idea what you just said or what point you were trying to
make and i don't think you do either.

Bill "Tim's pretty healthy...for a liberal! " S.